Howdy!

Templar

Spaceman
Howdy!

I'm new here, and thought I would introduce myself through a humorous story.

I was flying a standard diamond patrol in a Scimitar (WC1). The last patrol I flew I was forced to eject, and while recieved the golden-sun for ejecting and surviving, Colonel Haylcon gave me a stern warning not to eject again without a good reason. My problem was the fact that I was flying in a ship armored like a tank, and, being a rookie, I figured, "With armor like this, who needs maneuverability or speed? I'm death on thrusters!" Well, I hit the first nav point and shot down the Kilirathi patrol with ease, but when I hit the second point, my wingman and I encountered a second patrol with three Dralthi. I ordered my wingman to break and attack, he ran off after one of the Dralthi, and the afterburners screamed as I chase after the second. The third cat swings around me as I blow my target to bits and nlasts my port shields. When I turn to fire at him, he clips my wing, knocking out my repair systems. Well I get behind him and blast him out of the sky. My wingman has already blown his own target away, and we continue with our mission. We hit the third nav point, and we encounter four fighters. My wingmen and I take them on, and during the course of this firefight, one cat gets a lock on me and fires a missle. I try to out run the missle, but it finds it's way to my engine exhaust ports. The hit knock out my engines and somehow, and I'm not sure how, my ship doesn't explode. Well, with my engines out of comision, but determined not to end my mission in failure (and not wanting to be chewed out by the Colonel), I continue the battle, using my afterburners (which wern't damaged at all, somehow) for propulsion. My wingman and I bag two cats each, we fly home. I make it to the Tiger's Claw, request clearence for landing, and tap the afterburners lightly, not wanting to crash into my home carrier. I think of my mission preformance, and can't help feeling like the pilot's pilot, taking on four kitties with my sevearly crippled ship, and winning! I am proud. I am cocky. I think to myself "I am all that is man!" Then the worst happens... my ship stops. It doesn't drift a little into the bay, it stops. About a thousand klicks from my base, it stops. I can't move, I AM OUT OF GAS! I can't move on engine-power, my engines are nearly destroyed, and I can't repair my engines, my repair system needs to be repaired! I am dead in space! After my self-expression of my anger, I eject out of my crippled fighter, and it naturally explodes. When I get taken aboard, I get chewed out by the Colonel, and after my rather humbling experiance, I decided that "From now on, if I'm going to fly anything, I should fly somthing that can out-fly a @~$*!!! missle!"

Heh, heh. That's an incredible story. I thought it was going to end with something like afterburning yourself into the Tiger's Claw and dying instead. But runnning out of fuel, ha! That's even funnier.

Welcome aboard. :)

[PS That's gotta be the best "I'm new here" post I've ever seen.]

Interesting. I've never had my ion drive damaged to the point of total immobility. Fighters seem to have limitless 'reserves' when afterburner fuel is depleted. The lowest max speed I've ever gotten down to with a damaged ion drive is something like 50kps.

aye ive had my afterburners killed on me but not too the point of not being able to move at all..

was a nice read also! :)

I've had something similar happen to me once playing WC1. Thing is I had already run out of afterurner fuel so I couldn't evade the missle that severly damaged my ion drive. I drifted to 0 and luckily I pivoted around and caught the Gratha with enough of a salvo to knock out his weapons with the exception of 1 laser. His 1 laser wasn't a match for me so I dusted him still standing at 0. I hit the increase thrust button and I increased to 40kps and then stopped, I hit it again and it increased to 20kps and stopped. Finally I decided to hold the increase thrust button down and my little ship jockeyed teh whole way home jumping between 40 and 20kps, but I had sustained thrust :) ( thank God the autopilot still worked)!

Welcome to the board. I'm sure you'll fit right in with all of us (I don't know if that should be taken as a complement or not :D)!

C-ya

Welcome aboard, old friend. You're looking fine and fit. Does this war agree with you?:D

Isn't it shame that there is no "real space simulation." Without engines you should keep drifting on into infinity. Or until you come in contact with some other object. Oh well maybe for the next WC game, real physics! :cool:

Originally posted by Excelsis
Isn't it shame that there is no "real space simulation." Without engines you should keep drifting on into infinity. Or until you come in contact with some other object. Oh well maybe for the next WC game, real physics! :cool:

I'm not sure if i'd like real physics...I like it the way it is...

Originally posted by Ripper
Welcome aboard, old friend. You're looking fine and fit. Does this war agree with you?:D
Yeah, like a pair of busted wing flaps. But it's great to see you buddy.

I'm pretty new here also but I've settled in pretty good. Welcome aboard.

Originally posted by Excelsis

Try Independence War, and turn assisted flight OFF.
You'll very quickly come to appreciate what a 'non-realistic' space simulation does for you.
Don't get me wrong. I love Independence War. But they're very different games, there's good aspects to both systems.

Originally posted by Wedge009
The great thing about WC is that it does not have 'real' physics. :)

Then aren't we decieving ourselves about our "piloting ability." without real physics how can we get ourselves ready for the great coming space war in 2629:cool:

Originally posted by junior

Try Independence War, and turn assisted flight OFF.
You'll very quickly come to appreciate what a 'non-realistic' space simulation does for you.
Don't get me wrong. I love Independence War. But they're very different games, there's good aspects to both systems.

Now that's quiet a differance *LOL*

Back