How???

Sorry,I was talking about the Ship Editor......

Imagine what!I want to import the Hellcat :D :D :D

Well, there's no reason why the ship editor wouldn't work with UE, though of course you'd need to extract the ships from the TRE files first, and you'd need to alter the config file to use files from outside the TRE files.

And how would you do that, pray tell?

BTW: has anybody thought about experimenting with the idea of a fighter with high speed but LOW maneuverability? Or the reverse? Imagine a fighter that could cruise faster than a Vampire, but turns as slow as a Devastator, or one that is slow as mud, but can turn on a dime.

Why do that ?Its will be like the Wasp with the Booster on.3000 kps but no maneuerability.....

Do what, extract the files? Use treman. Change the config? Open ue_tre.cfg up, and remove or edit the first line (install no_folders 0) so that the DLL doesn't understand it.

Originally posted by Quarto
Do what, extract the files? Use treman. Change the config? Open ue_tre.cfg up, and remove or edit the first line (install no_folders 0) so that the DLL doesn't understand it.

And you just lost me there. Anybody got a copy of "Programming for Dummies"?

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw
Why do that ?Its will be like the Wasp with the Booster on.3000 kps but no maneuerability.....

Well, I was just speculating on what it might be like to try to fight in such a craft, as opposed to slow-moving-slow-turning or fast-moving-fast-turning craft.

Originally posted by Ijuin
And how would you do that, pray tell?

BTW: has anybody thought about experimenting with the idea of a fighter with high speed but LOW maneuverability? Or the reverse? Imagine a fighter that could cruise faster than a Vampire, but turns as slow as a Devastator, or one that is slow as mud, but can turn on a dime.
What are you, a mazohist? :) If you wanna experiment, play with the weapon loadout or something. I think both ships you proposed are unflyable.

Originally posted by Skybolt
What are you, a mazohist? :) If you wanna experiment, play with the weapon loadout or something. I think both ships you proposed are unflyable.

Nah, I was just suggesting it to have something different from the normal scale of light and fast <--> slow and heavy.

And I do NOT think that they are COMPLETELY unflyable--they would just need different tactics from what we are used to. In a fighter with super speed but low turning rate, you would want to put several thousand klicks of distance between yourself and a target, then turn to face them and pound them (preferably with something like the Scattergun). In a slow, turn-on-a-dime fighter, you would just wait for the enemy to get within weapons range on its own (and the fact that the WCP/SOP engine always has at least two of the enemies gunning for you ensures that one WILL), and then turn and blast him.

Originally posted by Ijuin

Personaly I think that would be a great idea - remember that best US fighter aces of WWII used p-38 lightning - aircraft with low maneuverability but very fast (fast acceleration also) and with very powerful guns. Such plane in WC should also have some powerful guns (to take out fighter in one pass) and some long-range missile loadout (only IMREC would be useful). Such fighter would have been a much better bomber interceptor than Wasp. But question is how AI controlled wingmen would use it.

Originally posted by Dominator
Personaly I think that would be a great idea - remember that best US fighter aces of WWII used p-38 lightning - aircraft with low maneuverability but very fast (fast acceleration also) and with very powerful guns. Such plane in WC should also have some powerful guns (to take out fighter in one pass) and some long-range missile loadout (only IMREC would be useful). Such fighter would have been a much better bomber interceptor than Wasp. But question is how AI controlled wingmen would use it.

Hmmm... I would give it a bunch of Artemis ELRIR missiles (eight or so), plus a rear turret and maybe four FF missiles for those times when somebody is coming up behind you before you can turn around (we are talking turning speed comparable to the Devastator here with cruising speed of maybe 800 kps and afterburner speed around 2000 kps). For forward guns I would want something like what the Shrike has--three charging mass drivers to take out light fighters in one hit, and three long range Particle Cannons.

Oh, I want to ask again, I have NO idea how to do what Quatro suggested for editing the ships. Can anybody give some clues for the technically clueless here?

Well you can open and edit the cfg file in notepad and Treman I guess is supposed to allow you access to the TRE files, though I've never tried hacking them myself.
There's probably a copy you can download from the CIC's files page, or you could probably find what you need at one of the other editing sites like HC1's or Thomas Bruckner's page. There will probably be instructions on how to use all of the necessary programs to import new smeg.

No luck so far: I used treman to get the scim.iff from ueships2.tre and wcedit to change things. But how to get the modified scimtar beck into UE and play it don't know. (HC1's Treman does not put the modified scim back in the .tre (yet?).

Yeah, I haven't been able to do that either. UE seems to look in its ships.tre files and NOT in the "ships" subdirectory where all the WCPEdit edited ships are stored.

Correctamundo. UE will ignore anything that's in any subdirectory, IIRC... to prevent compatibility problems with any other SO modifications people might have on their systems.

To get an edited ship into UE, you can extract everything from UE's ships package(s) - that will place all files in the correct subdirectories... now you just have to edit the files you want, and edit ue_tre.cfg so that UE doesn't look for the TRE(s) you extracted anymore. I think you might also have to change the "no_folders" value so that it reads files from subdirectories (otherwise if a file is not found inside one of the TREs it will probably just crash the game).

--Eder

Back