How would Chris Roberts react?

How would the Wing Commander creator react?

• Total voters

TheFraix

Vice Admiral
NOTE: I HAVEN'T E-MAILED OR FAX THIS.

I just wanna ask your opinions regarding this draft letter:

Greetings,
I am the founder, CEO and owner of an Indonesian small business company specializing in science fiction media. Our vision is to improve the awareness and benefits of science fiction toward the Indonesian people.
Our first product, the 'Live Long and Prosper' magazine will be published in cooperation with the Indonesian Science Fiction (ISF) Community.
Aside from publishing magazines, we seek to expand our portfolio in distributing science fiction related media, such as foreign films, DVDs, books and games.

We've noticed no one in Indonesia has distributed Wing Commander: Space Will Never Be The Same (1999), in either DVD or VCD. In fact, there hasn't even been any theatrical release in Indonesia of Christopher Roberts' first cinematic project.
Being a fan of Mr. Roberts's interactive media and movies he produced, we in Inascifi would like to organize an event that can promote Wing Commander and distribute the VCD/DVDs to the Indonesian market.

If you are interested, please contact me at --email link classified--

With resepect,

Arvin N. Chandra
CEO of Inascifi
www.inascifi.com

Attachments

• INASCIFI_150x150.jpg
    INASCIFI_150x150.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 519
The movie isn't called "Wing Commander: Space Will Never Be the Same". That's just some nonsense that someone put in the IMDb which has since aggregated everywhere. Unfortunately, it's pretty much impossible to get the IMDb to change anything, ever.

(... and Chris Roberts doesn't own the international or any other distribution rights to the Wing movie. You would need to contact FOX.)

I know it isn't supposed to be called Wing Commander: Space Will Never Be The Same.

The situation is like this: According to IMDB Pro, Fox owns the distribution rights of the film, but the local distributor (who has a 'working relationship' in Indonesia) has no interest in distributing the film.

Do you think I've any chance of 'obtaining' through by contacting Fox?

The movie isn't called "Wing Commander: Space Will Never Be the Same". That's just some nonsense that someone put in the IMDb which has since aggregated everywhere. Unfortunately, it's pretty much impossible to get the IMDb to change anything, ever.

(... and Chris Roberts doesn't own the international or any other distribution rights to the Wing movie. You would need to contact FOX.)

Doesn't Universal have some of the international rights? Universal is on the Korean and the French poster for the movie at least. Also, I don't think FOX's rights apply should Chris ever complete a longer cut of the film.

Now that said, LOAF is completely right that you would need to contact whoever has the territorial rights for indonesia whether that be fox or whoever. (Chris Roberts would be able to tell you). Once you know who has the rights (unless there's an expiration clause) it shouldn't be too hard for a company (provided they're suitably interested) to negotiate some kind of deal to do distribution.

So I take it you've contacted the distributor that has the local rights? Obtaining the rights for yourself will depend on a couple of things. You will usually need to pay for these rights. How much will depend on how much the current rights holder thinks they're worth. If they only have an 'arrangement to distribute' all of FOXs titles, that doesn't mean they specifically have rights to Wing Commander. What they might have is a 'first right of refusal,' which means that should anyone else be interested FOX has to ask them if they want it first. That complicates things because if they just feel like being a pain they can tie things up in a headache inducing threeway negotiation.

I think the biggest hurdle for your company obtaining right (other than not being already in the distribution buisness and therefore not having the contacts) is capitol. You need money to get the rights, and you need money to produce the disks, and you need money to promote the disks. Also, considering that you want to distribute in Indonesia, you will need money to produce the non english content for the disks (subtitles, menus... or even dubbing). This might be cheaper if there's a country near by that has the same language that already has a DVD release since you can just buy their assests but again that costs money, and I'm not sure they exist.

The good news is that I doubt the rights will cost you much (relatively speaking).

Recreate and do it yourself, Wing commander, the "bollywood" or indy version would be nice,

I imagine now that during the scene as angel ejects, they would climb out, without oxygen masks, and dance in the vacuum of space around their fighters. Or that they get a massive dance after rosie's fighter crashed, or dance to celebrate Maniac almost sacrifice himself as he ties himself to the deck to get Blair out.

Anyone ever seen this kind of movie? Check out the turkish variant of rambo;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljlBU6baLiQ

Or the indian version of superman( meets spiderwoman??);
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5Pjo0WjBcs

Appearantly they need to make these movies because the originals have some things, scenes or stories that are not suitable in their resident culture.

Wing commander, the "bollywood" or indy version would be nice,

Anyone ever seen this kind of movie? Check out the turkish variant of rambo;

:) Could you imagine the Bollywood version of the Wing Commander film? Sanjay Blair, the handsome young hotshot pilot does an extravagent dance-off against Maniac on the flight deck of the Bengal's Claw to win the attention of the beautiful Gita Deveraux.

Comparing Indonesia:India:USA

An Indonesian adaptation of 'Wing Commander' would work nice.
But distributing the movie (as a theatrical movie or home videodiscs) would be much more feasible.

Oh yeah, INDONESIA and INDIA are very DIFFERENT.

The Republic of Indonesia (pronounced /ˌɪndoʊˈniːziə/ or /ˌɪndəˈniːʒə/) (Indonesian: Republik Indonesia), is a transcontinental country in Southeast Asia and Oceania. Indonesia comprises 17,508 islands, and with an estimated population of around 237 million people, it is the world's fourth most populous country.

250px-LocationIndonesia.svg.png

Independence from Netherlands
- Declared 17 August 1945
- Recognized 27 November 1949

India, officially the Republic of India (Hindi: भारत गणराज्य Bhārat Gaṇarājya), is a country in South Asia. It is the seventh-largest country by geographical area, the second-most populous country, and the most populous democracy in the world. Bounded by the Indian Ocean on the south, the Arabian Sea on the west, and the Bay of Bengal on the east, India has a coastline of 7,517 kilometers (4,671 mi).It is bordered by Pakistan to the west; People's Republic of China (PRC), Nepal, and Bhutan to the north; and Bangladesh and Myanmar to the east. India is in the vicinity of Sri Lanka, the Maldives, and Indonesia in the Indian Ocean.

220px-India_(orthographic_projection).svg.png

Independence from United Kingdom
- Declared 15 August 1947
- Republic 26 January 1950

Compare again with the United States of America

220px-United_States_%28orthographic_projection%29.svg.png

Independence from the Kingdom of Great Britain
- Declared July 4, 1776
- Recognized September 3, 1783
- Current constitution June 21, 1788

You guys know India and Indonesia are completely different places, right?

i know, as for my countries exploring and an enslavement. We still have a negative memory(counsience)about that, look at what we referenced too as the western indies, and the eastern indies during what we called, the "golden age". we still pay (psychological debt)tribute for that, and so do the germans towards us.

Haha yes I am aware of the difference between Indonesia and India, I have holidayed in Bali twice :)

When Bollywood was mentioned though, just seemed like a funny thing to write about. No offence intended :)

I think it would indeed be wise to leave this topic according to the distribution of the movie, but bollywood and multicultural re-made movies or editting always make me laugh. The "bollywood" reference was made as a taunt not, as an insult.

Haha yes I am aware of the difference between Indonesia and India, I have holidayed in Bali twice :)

When Bollywood was mentioned though, just seemed like a funny thing to write about. No offence intended :)

No offence taken. It's just our Indonesian cinema community never produce any good frakking science fiction production.

In fact, the last one I could mention was a frakking ripped off Bryan Singer's The Triangle (a Sci-Fi Channel miniseries based on the Bermuda Triangle) and claims to be inspired by the 2004 tsunami event. In my opinion, the filmmaker was frakking callous in choosing the 'inspiration' source. My friends' friends died in that tsunami! Not to mention the families and loved ones who were 'missing' and their bodies never discovered.

I have seen the triangle. But it looks more bases on "The Journeyman project", then anything to do with the tsunami, and i understand your anger, it is horrible to find the deaths of a natural disaster, and then use it as an inspiration. Also anyone who jokes about facts in history like war or natural disasters, should read up on their history, but this is a forum based upon a fictional universe where you blow evil spacecats and bugs out of the sky, and it should remain that way.

but this is a forum based upon a fictional universe where you blow evil spacecats and bugs out of the sky, and it should remain that way.

in regard to this statement, what if I petition you guys to help support the Indonesian Wing Commander community?

i know, as for my countries exploring and an enslavement. We still have a negative memory(counsience)about that, look at what we referenced too as the western indies, and the eastern indies during what we called, the "golden age". we still pay (psychological debt)tribute for that, and so do the germans towards us.

My country raped, pillaged and slaughtered all over the place. I'm pretty proud of that.

Back