How about.... a WC fanfilm?

Nothing... I'm not saying anything that I'll make it, but I just want to know if
anybody had ideas for doing a live-action short film based on the WC
universe. Personally, I think its cool and since we have a good fanbase here
Maybe we might unite and commit to a production of a WC fanfilm.

Any ideas? Any Comments?

If I had a nickle every time I heard this, I'd have a pile of nickles in my room from 1998

If you had said: "People I got a semi professional camera, lights and stuff and also someone else is doing a storyboad allready I just need people for acting and creating costumes, CGI and music" their would be something to talk about. This way its quite pointless IMO.
I think their might be some people that are interested into something like that...but I guess you have to come up with something first.

12 o' Clock Mike said:
Oh? I didn't know it was talked about alot. I just never saw any threads in the forums about the subject.

It was a more common idea back in the 90s when everyone was wowed by Wing Commander 3 and 4. Its a neat idea but so is world peace.

12 o' Clock Mike said:
Oh? I didn't know it was talked about alot. I just never saw any threads in the forums about the subject.

Not, really no. I'm not sure what LeHah's referring to. There have been a few neat attempts. Definitely check out Lars' cgi trailer. https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/6622

Getting all the necessary people, equipment, materials and ideas together sounds like a pretty big job though. It's made harder by spread out so many of us are. More people should definitely think about doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
wouldn't you need a script? I mean no short film has eva gone without a script...if so...im up for it...or is that a bit to hasty of me?

The last person who tried this was a year and a half ago. He showed up at the CIC with some fun pictures and a grandiose proposal including a live cast and CGI. He asked for cockpit shots for reference, which we provided, and we never heard from him again.

Happens a lot.

A script is the first step to get things running.
Start with it. Then do a storyboard (it realy helps) and then see what material, people and hardware you need...then come back and so some casting/recruting for your projekt.

Well static green screen can be very cheaply done (if you want your shots to move, eurgh), but as has been pointed out you need all the actors in one place. Another option is voice overs with either artificially animated characters or motion captured ones, a few uni's have motion capture equipment, mine included. Its a massive undertaking and something you can realistically release episodically like standoff so it might be hard to keep interest in the project for the required length of time.

For doing a Fanproject movie I like to refere to StarWreck. It took them about 7 years but the resault is fantastic. Also I might add that their bluesceen was just big enought for two person standing side by side and still you have people action in the background and cam movements.
For doing animated stuff you surely can use motion capturing but their is still the way of doing it manual. Sure its hard but possible.
A realese in episodes is also a possibility...still I would prefere to see a complete movie.
Maybe you can do both. For "training" you can do some short shots with just about 3-5min length. When you feel that you got enough knowledge you do longer scenes...about 10-15min and finaly you can than do a short movie about 30-45min....or like StarWreck a nearl 2h movie.

I say write up the script regardless of whether or not it can feasibly be made. If you have a good film idea get the script together and if something comes of it great amazing accomplishment, if it never gets produced you still have a nice piece of fanfic to share.
If I were to undertake something like this though, I would probably attempt in a film school rather than purely on my own. I wouldn't really solely on WC fans for acting talent.
Have you thought about doing animated?

Well, gevatter lars is right when he says that a project like this should start small. I started a wing commander animated series pilot 4 years ago... it's still not done.

...soooo, close.

The CIC has published some news updates regarding it over the years... and I'm always VERY hesitant about showing anything. After all, if I show everything before it's done, then there won't be anything new to see when it actually gets released.

All in all it's been extremely difficult. Trying to produce several minutes of broadcast quality animation (above broadcast quality in my opinion) on a budget of $0.00 with a staff of 1 is improbable to say the least.

Though my professional expertise lies in animation and not live action, I would assume that creating a short film in that medium would prove ultimately very, very hard. But don't get me wrong; I would never discourage an undertaking like this, only encourage smart planning and realistic thinking.

Corsair(pilot) said:
The CIC has published some news updates regarding it over the years... and I'm always VERY hesitant about showing anything. After all, if I show everything before it's done, then there won't be anything new to see when it actually gets released.

You haven't shown anything in almost a year though. I don't think you're really at risk of giving it all away.

@Corsair
Well my animation wasn't at broadcast quality but still quite nice I think and I also had a budget of 0.00€ and just me as staff.

I think its not so impossible at all to do a short film...but you clearly need more persons to work with.

Back