Hobbes Betrayal Crosses Over Language Barriers (May 23, 2018)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Most people are familiar with the infamous video cuts that were made to fit all of the video on the Wing Commander 3 discs. Helpful sequences such as the TCN news bursts and Hobbes explanation were omitted due to space constraints. Fortunately, these are now available here at the CIC, but for a long time, the main way players could watch the Hobbes scene was to track down a copy of WC3 on the Playstation or 3DO. But how many people have watched this clip in German?! It's a cool recording, since the German voice actor behind Hobbes is nearly as good as the original. FekLeyrTarg has posted it to YouTube so you can see it now!

In dieser Szene, die wahrscheinlich aus Platzgründen nicht in der PC-Version aber dafür in der Playstation- und 3DO-Version sowie in der Romanfassung von "Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger" enthalten ist, entdeck Colonel Christopher "Maverick" Blair (Mark Hamill/Frank Röth) eine Videobotschaft von Ralgha "Hobbes" nar Hhallas (John Schuck/Thomas Rauscher), in dem er die Umstände seines Verrats an der Terranischen Konföderation und an seinen besten Freund erklärt.

Vielen Dank an Wingcenter.net, wo diese und andere Szenen aus der Playstation-Version auf Englisch und auf Deutsch zur Verfügung gestellt worden sind.

--
Original update published on May 23, 2018

Thanks for posting. :)

Some interestings notes regarding the German dub:
-Hobbes calls Blair "Chris" instead of "Colonel"
-Hobbes seems to empathise his regret of betraying his friend more than in the English version
-Other than that, the German translation stays largely true to the English version

I also agree that Thomas Rauscher did a fine job dubbing Hobbes, as did the rest of the German voice actors. I'd dare say that WC3 is one of few games with a damn good German dub. There aren't many unfortunately.
(On a side note: WC4's German dub was rather weak compared to its predecessor but Prophecy's and Secret Ops' were good)

Special thanks again to WingCenter.net for providing the PSX-Videos in both English and German:
https://wingcenter.net/index.php/downloadcenter.html?folder=wc3
(Wing Commander 3 deutsche Filmsequenzen)

For some reason I feel that German sounds so much more natural from a Kilrathi mouth than English or French :D

For some reason I feel that German sounds so much more natural from a Kilrathi mouth than English or French :D
There's definitely something in that sentiment :). French is a poetic language, thoroughly inappropriate for war; English is a dramatic language, good for Shakespeare, but still not too great for war. And then you've got German, which sounds like it's only good for giving orders. I know Germans have poetry and stuff, but still, to the untrained ear, it's a very harsh-sounding language. So yeah, perfect for the Kilrathi.

Case in point...
Hobbes seems to empathise his regret of betraying his friend more than in the English version
I'm sure this is true in terms of the words used... but without understanding the words, it sounds to me like Hobbes spends the entire speech telling Blair he never liked him in the first place, and he was always evil, and he's going to kill Blair as soon as the opportunity comes up :).

Back