Hidden Privateer missions?

NapoleanAce

Spaceman
This is something I've been wondering about for years, and some technical posts about P1 in another thread reminded me. There seems to be a dozen or so hidden piratical missions in P1/RF; if you look near the end of RF.TRE, there are several text strings that appear to be random conversations with bar fixers. An example is:

"I'm looking for an ace to pick up a load of $CB from the $SN base in $SS, and drop it at the $DS
base in $SS. And I'll tell you up front, those systems have been unstable from time to time .... Can you do it?," and it also shows Grayson's possible responses.

Another seems to be from a Church of Man fixer: "You must know, $CS, that we despise your evil technology, but we're willing to use it against a greater evil...the confederation at $DB base ........ Your fee for this sacred job will be forthcoming. Will you assist our cause?"

I'd combed system after system, base after base, bar after bar in hopes of finding these potential "easter eggs," but to no avail. Anyone have any info on this?

We've seen this before. They're not "Easter Eggs", just scripts for some random mission fixers who were never used.

Gotcha. Though I figured they would've eliminated this from the CD version if it was already decided that it wouldn't be used in the disk version.

Who knows why they left it in? It worked fine, the extra fluff caused no problems, it probably wasn't worth the effort removing it.

True enough.

Or, maybe they deliberately put it in just to screw with our heads...why else would it be at the *end* of the file eh?? :D

Back