Here's a Kat bar, Spirit

Beer, the universal greeting... I suggest you replace the letters but leave the look of the sign the same, so that people know what it says :)

Amazing work by the way, THANKS!!!!!

I'm almost done with the AI btw.

Haha, got milk? ^-^

That's awesome, thank you for all the hard work!

If you need pictures of animated Kilrathi, look in

http://www.spiritplumber.com/priv_remake/development/

and grab the "screenies" zip files. Those contains screenshots of every mug in Wing Commander 2 + SO1 + SO2 including Kilrathi comms, Khasra, Thrak and the Emperor. Also, as many shots of ship interiors as possible were taken. If taken down a notch, Khasra's uniform is probably a good reference point...

hope it helps ^^; by the way, look for a code update tomorrow. I got the capship and interceptor AI mostly just where I want it.

Yes, I downloaded the screenies last friday and went through them; almost got the full story of WC I missed ;-) I think I got better ideas than to make kilrathis look half human, though. But actually drawing them is another story, so we shall see...

Re. MILK: I was just thinking the two "contrabands" for the kilrathi could be catnip and milk, both of which are products imported from the human confederation, and therefore perceived as "giving money to the enemy".

Here's the Kat military officer updated. I decided against clothing, since that's a corny clingon from the B-movies era when alien creatures were always played by badly diguised humans. Kats are kats, and they have furs, so they don't need clothing. What she's wearing, though, is her rank's tail bracelet...

Why a tail-bracelet?

Cats take great pride on their tails. When you grab a cat's tail, the cat is emotionally, not physically, peeved. The cat takes insult. The reason is, while we use our voices and facial expressions to communicate thoughts and emotions, cats use tail gestures, instead. Sometimes ear-gestures, too. But military tradition is of emotional self-control, so warrior cats wear jacket bracelets on their tails, which limit movement, and are symbolic of emotional control.

So, here it is. I haven't tested it in the game yet, but if all goes well, she should be sitting somwhere near the middle of the front cushion.

Where are you getting this "tidbit" of information on the bracelet? Is this from the great official source of Dan_W's mind?

hmm....this could really do with a bit of work. I'd suggest working on a design for an original bar, and a better cat stand in. maybe a screen cap from wc3 or some such.

Before the Canon Police gets on OUR tails:

I think it's a good and sensible idea, but kats are shown to wear clothing in all WC games -- you could say that well, a spacesuit is a spacesuit, and Hobbes in wc3 wears a Confed uniform because he wants to be polite to humans... but in wc2 and wc4 Thrak, Khasra, Melek etc. are shown wearing something usually. Not a lot, but something. Then again, it may have been ceremonial (or not so ceremonial given Kilrathi politics) armor -- I think that ordinary Kilrathis would wear very little, but they WOULD wear something, if nothing else a gun holster and a bag to keep their junk in.

This said, keep up the great work. S/he looks a bit too feline and not anthropomorphic enough, but I get the idea that you're doing it on purpose :) Very interesting take on the bracelets... We know so very little about Kilrathi culture other than they're total bloodthirsty maniacs, but considering that we get that from Confed sources, it's a little like getting an education on Arab culture from Fox News. I think there is at least some room for creativity there....

Me being a pacifist at heart I'd like to show that at least some Kilrathi civilians are as tired of the war as humans are, after all the Empire is a feudal regime and an eventual victory wouldn't really gain much to the common kitty.

By the way: I retooled the Dorkritha to be basically a big Orion, and called it the generic Kilrathi privateer cargo ship. This is temporary I guess, but I wouldn't mind it sticking.

Oh, by the way... We never really see any girl kilrathi in any of the games! How pronounced is the sexual dimorphism in the Kilrathi species? I'm thinking something like the captain in "Treasure Planet", only bulkier -- basically take a stereotypical anime catgirl, make her more pronouncedly feline, and say she has about my build.

(pet peeve of mine -- i'm automatically considered ugly just because i'm tall and wide... that's not right... i'm not a venus but i'm healthy and beautiful, thank you ^-^ )

no. the cats are described as wearing clothing even in the novels, i think there is like, one instance in WC4 where they don't. i'll have to double check that.

anyway, its not a matter of 'canon' police. the fact is you've agreed that this project needs to be done right. thats all that's trying to be accomplished, if you don't want it done right, or people making sure it is....there's probably a problem there.

concerning the bar, i'd like to see some maybe pencil sketch concepts or however you want in a kilrathi archictecture style. Reference WC2 cutscenes and some of the WC3 scenes, even the movie. Though i'd probably lean more towards the WC2/3 deals more. A blending of the two should work mighty nicely. You're obviously adept with photoshop, so i'd imagine it shouldn't be to terrible. Also, i'd really advise using a more kilrathi looking Kilrathi.

also, what is the dorkrithra? there is no such record of a ship by that name. I can provide a list of cat ships we know to be independent merchants, they just need suitable designs to be done up and submitted.

Re "canon police": http://tinyurl.com/2w499 (lighten up :) )

The Dorkritha is the kat counterpart of the Galaxy. I entirely made it up, it was a placeholder for the Dorkathi primarily (when I got the Dorkathi, I shrunk the Dorkritha down and gave it the galaxy's AI rather than the drayman's).

If you have any info on something that a Kilrathi equivalent of a privateer or independent merchant could use, please share it! We never really get to see the everyday life of the Kilrathi (I think we need to hire the Crocodile Guy for this one...) so I'd guess that there is some room for creativity, unles there's more info in the novels.

About Kilrathi architecture -- I always figured it'd have a very unfinished look. Exposed pipes and wires, and so on.

no, i'd imagine not. the cat's aren't primitive folk.

the novels give us a pretty good indicator of how the kilrathi live. i'll work on putting something together. it's better than making stuff up.

Well, not "primitive", just exposed... kats don't seem to much go for artistic design beyond "let's make it look scary". I imagine that there's really no such thing as a Kilrathi interior designer -- which when it comes to stuff where functionality is paramount, is one BIG leg up they have on us humans...

I'm mostly interested in the role of women in Kilrathi society, if you can dig something out on that.

(pet peeve of mine -- i'm automatically considered ugly just because i'm tall and wide... that's not right... i'm not a venus but i'm healthy and beautiful, thank you ^-^ )
With your brains, nobody with brains should care what you look like. But having said that, the cultural standards for physical beauty have greatly departed our natural perceptions. I, like everybody else, like the look of fitness and muscularity; but unlike everybody else, I know it. I think it's not just women that are brainwashed about the "thin" myth. If I ask my male friends, they *say* they like "thin" women, but then we're walking down the street, and when a woman turns their heads, she's NOT "thin", most of the time, but rather strong looking; --with round, muscular legs, arms, shoulders and backs. Most hookers and strippers know this, and they spend time at the gym, to get that "real" physical beauty, rather than the "make believe" kind.
Oh, by the way... We never really see any girl kilrathi in any of the games! How pronounced is the sexual dimorphism in the Kilrathi species? I'm thinking something like the captain in "Treasure Planet", only bulkier -- basically take a stereotypical anime catgirl, make her more pronouncedly feline, and say she has about my build.
Male cats tend to have a bit more hair under the chin. In fact, although I called my first cat a 'she', it looks more like a 'he'. The other differences are the size of the eyes relative to the rest of the face: Bigger for females; and tail expressions: Females tend to make smooth spiral shapes, whereas males make sharper bends. I haven't read these things anywhere, though; just from my own experience of growing with cats, instead of brothers or sisters... ;-)
Yeah, let's make that cat a 'he', rather than try and "fix her".
Me being a pacifist at heart I'd like to show that at least some Kilrathi civilians are as tired of the war as humans are, after all the Empire is a feudal regime and an eventual victory wouldn't really gain much to the common kitty.
The first cat is going to stand out versus the ones to come. I have the pictures in my mind, but I don't want to talk about them until I do them. Essentially, they'll all look lazy and apathetic (like real cats). Thus, if all goes well, the cultural divide between the military, ruling class, and the average kilrathi, will be quite apparent.

ah, okay....

" the kilrathis roots are rock dwelling creatures are evident in their dwellings - mesa like pillars and protrusions are often found rising from unlikely locations. exposed machinery is common, and ceilings are rarely enclosed, leaving cables and ductwork exposed.

lighting is usually dark and murky, and the high tempartures and zero humidity favored by the species often results in decidedly dusty atmospheric effects. ans as with clothing, trophies of war play a priminent role in interior decoration - skulls of victims or blasted hull fragments of conquered starships are often placed on garish display'

i stand corrected, and there's the desired look to go for.

spiritplumber said:
We do get to see Kilrathi priestesses in WC1 IIRC and in the WCP intro movie. Not much of them, but a glimpse. Pay close attention :p

Back