Help with Armada online play

maniac89

I love Wing Commander: Prophecy
I recently aquired Armada and got it running in DOSBox with no problems, then I tried to play it online using HCl's .exe, and it runs from there, but when I click on Net Play, it says this:
NetBIOS has not been loaded.
Please see your Network Manager or System Administrator on how to obtain NetBIOS.

Now I don't know what to do there.

I would greatly apriecate any help.
The Maniac

So what exactly did you do? Which of HCl's files specifically did you download? What file did you run to start dosbox? What file to start Armada? It sounds like you're just not using the right files. What dosbox.conf changes did you make? Did you set ipx=true?

I used HCl's online Armada patch and his updated 0.65 patch. I followed the instructions in making that work, and used that new .exe.
I used armada.exe to run Armada. And I did set ems=false and ipx=true.(turns out I didn't set that!)

Now that I have set that, I get to the point when I enter my callsign in Net Play, it then says: dosbox.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close, we are sorry for the inconvience.
I also set the Cycles to 6000.

I hope that helps,
The Maniac

If you're using Armada.exe, then you're not using HCl's Armada patch. Although it might not be absolutely necessary with the improvements noted in his new 0.65 DOSBox patch, many people will still need to use it for various reasons. You run that with Armadadb.exe instead.

Urggghhh. . .

I did all that, but after I enter my callsign it still has the error message.

Help, must play game!
The Maniac

So who are you playing with? It'd probably be easier to work through this with them or come on irc, since it seems like some simple step is being missed along the process. I'd also reinstall everything when you do this, because all the manipulation up until now could have created a problem. DOSBox just shouldn't normally crash with Armada. Did you try the loadfix boot?

https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/6042
Additionally, some games may need an additional entry to execute. Privateer and Armada run well with "loadfix -65" typed before the game's main executable (for example "loadfix -65 armada"). The -65 is optional and variable, but we've had best luck with that value. Wing Commander 2 will also probably require "loadfix -32 WC2" to avoid some freezing a couple missions into the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did that,and I'm positive I'm doing nothing wrong, but still, after I enter my callsign I get the error message. <sigh>

The MaNiAc

You never told me who you were playing with. If you just try to go into a netgame by yourself with no dosbox ipxstartserver enabled, after you enter your callsign, dosbox will crash.

Back