Headset issues

Ironduke

Spaceman
I know it's not directly related to Arena, but maybe you can help me anyway: I'm experiencing problems with my (non-wireless!) headset every now and then. Sometimes I'm not able to hear what other people say, sometimes I can't seem to be heard by others. Also, during the CIC birthday party match - and while chatting with Mekt-Hakkikt yesterday in a private channel -, I got some weird echo. (Now we all know the latter is part of Microsoft's promotion of "ECCO the Dolphin." I almost fell off my chair laughing... :p )

I can't help but wonder if I'm the one who's causing that trouble. Does anyone have similar problems? Here's my setup:

- Xbox 360 Premium w/ wireless controllers
- non-wireless headset attached to controller
- WLAN DSL connection (6 Mbit/s)

There's a lot of "wireless" in there, which might cause the problem - but most of the time, the headset actually works. (And unfortunately, I can't switch to a simple LAN connection.) NAT and UPnP settings are okay, too.

Any suggestions?

I've always associated the wierd noises that i hear over the headset to other people leaving their mic's on all the time and it picking up background noise or other things going on at their location. I always turn my mic off when i am not talking to someone over it and only turn it on when i have something to say.

As far as not hearing what someone else was saying, the only time i've experienced that is when multiple people were trying to talk at once. A couple of times the two voices were mixed together, and a couple of other times the sound i was receiving cut in and out. I'm not sure if this is the same as the situation you are describing.

I can't help but wonder if I'm the one who's causing that trouble. Does anyone have similar problems? Here's my setup:

- Xbox 360 Premium w/ wireless controllers
- non-wireless headset attached to controller
- WLAN DSL connection (6 Mbit/s)

It's your upload bandwidth, not downstream, that will make a big difference in voice communication like this. That's probably not the issue though. It's possible it could be interference from computers, appliances or any other electronics nearby. A lot of the time, stuff like that can be fixed just by turning the controller off and then back on.

Like ck9791 said, echoes can happen when someone has their speakers/earpiece volume up loud and the microphone picks it up and relays it back. Turn your own headset volume down or mute when you're not talking and see if that fixes it. Other people you're playing with can also be causing this. Goku was causing the echo during the CIC Birthday matches.

A lot of the time, stuff like that can be fixed just by turning the controller off and then back on.
That sounds almost too easy, but you're right - switching it on and off sometimes does the trick for Microsoft products. :D I'll give it a try next time I'm encountering these problems.

I've actually turned up my volume on both the Xbox and the headset after I had difficulties understanding what other people were talking. However, the TV volume is usually turned down pretty much, so there shouldn't be any feedback whatsoever. (Although you never know...)

Other people you're playing with can also be causing this. Goku was causing the echo during the CIC Birthday matches.
Okay, now I'm somewhat relieved. :p

Back