HALO Fans!

ChazZio

Spaceman
Alright, anyone play Halo? If so, state your favorite weapon, vehicle, and/or alien to bash, and whatever else you want about the game!

For me, Halo is just AWWWWWWSOME! The storyline is one of the best I have seen in a FPS (Except maybe System Shock, and WC games of course :)). I play it a lot with a friend of mine, and we just finished the moderate campaign. Man, some of the levels are outright freaky! We have a strategy: I usually go in with the assult rifle and shotgun, plowing enemies and drawing fire. Meanwhile, my buddy takes out vehicles and targets I might have missed. We both are barely damaged, and we go on, killing like madmen!

My favorite weapon: The assult rifle. Gota love it. Ammo is common, it deals nice damage to enemies, and is the best way of plowing through!

My best vehicle is the Ghost. I love it. Once, true story, my friewnd was pinned down with some marines by Covenant forces, and here I come, blasting at them, sending therm on the run. Then I crashed.

By least favorite bad guy is the Flood Exploder, as I call them. Away from you they just send out little poppers, but close to you they do a decent amount of damage. I hate em!

I think for the first half of the game I prefer picking up the Covenant weapons like the plasma rifle and i love thier grenades. But when the Flood comes the assult rifle and shotgun are the best when dealing with the crawling corn nuts. I have to agree that Halo is the shit and I'm looking forward to Halo 2 to come out. But then again I dont have an Xbox :( but Microsoft just lowered the price so now I am on the fence.

I really must admit

That when I first played Halo, I just sort of hated it and thought that games had taken a turn for the worse. And I honestly don't know why I thought that. I was just pretty skeptical of all these new console games. Then about two years later I started playing it again and started enjoying it too.

I think Halo is a really fun game. Perhaps a tad overrated, but still better than most crap that's coming out these days. And I am looking forward to playing the sequel and seeing what improvements they make to it. I may even purchase an Xbox for it. Well, for that and I want to play Starcraft: Ghost and Fable.

I'll agree with you Shipgate. I didn't care for the game at all initially, although it has grown on me of late. My big quarrel with Halo is the same quarrel I have with all console FPS's: the control scheme. Admittedly, Halo and games since have become much easier to control on the consoles, but nothing beats the freelook of a mouse, or the infinitely customizable button configurations. I was glad when they finally released it on PC.

For those of you who love Halo's story, check out Marathon's Story Page Bungie is a pretty interesting company Halo is possibly just the next stage in the Pathways into Darkness/marathon triology story line....you can waste hours indulged in the marathon story, I'd recommend d/ling a mac emulator and trying the games out....the best story in FPS game ever hands down....

As for Halo, we play it almost every night at my frat...4 on 4 on two xboxs directly connected.

fav gun: pistol....3 shot your dead bitch...or of course the launch...

fav level: Chill out

All I'll say is that I really love chasing down running grunts in order to plant the butt of my rifle in the back of their barking little skulls.

ah yes the greatest "HA HA! You're my bitch!" move on all times...the dreaded meleek. There is one guy in my house who will follow you around for a few mins just so he can meleek you...such a great move makes your victim know who's boss...

I would highly suggest reading the Halo novels. There's three of them out. They are very well-written.

The "Fall of Reach" is a look into the origins of Master Chief (AKA John AKA Spartan 117) and the Spartan program. "The Flood" is a novel adaptation of the game. "First Strike" is supposed to bridge the gaps between Halo 1 and 2.

Also, maybe this is me, but after reading the Fall of Reach, it's pretty much no secret that Bungie and the guy who wrote the novel/script based the Spartans on the US Navy SEALs, while the Marines are based on . . . of course . . . Marines.

Halo 2 actually just released screenshots of the ODSTs (Orbital Drop Shock Troopers), which is supposed to be more elite then the Marines, they drop in capsules (much like the Starship Troopers book). The Fall of Reach novel had them mentioned a bit.

If you listen closely while you are running around at the start of the game you can here some of the marines yell "Hey, look it's a Mark V!" which is a props towards the Mjolnir Mark IV cyborg of which 10 were placed on the Marathon on its time of departure....

the marathon story page even has a section dedicated to Halo's story and the links between the two....there are also several halo story sites out there but none really as good as hamish sinclair's marathon site....

you have to play to understand........"In the heavens, they are waiting"

note: anyone who has been around since the mid-90s can attest to my love of the marathon series...another game that I love as much as WC....

Marathon seemed like a great game - I wish I spent more time with it.

I would say so chaz, throughout the whole game their are many nods to Marathon, like the insignia on the captain's uniform...definately the marathon symbol....check out the story page in the Halo section it details all the little things you can notice between the games.

Lehah...yeah it's a pretty amazing game, I was never into FPS too much, but this one draws you in with an incredible story, I mean can you go wrong with an AI that goes:
"Greetings. You're asking yourself: Is this a trap or just a dead end?

You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)" - Durandal, (no relation!) Marathon wonderfully rampant AI

Yeah I can see some parallels between the two...

played halo for the first time in about a week today...4 on 4 match between rooms in the house....technology is so great sometimes...

The funny thing about the Marathon-Halo connection is that Bungie flat-out denies it. It's quite clear in the company's Halo FAQ... I don't have an opinion on this matter - although I wish I could play Marathon games, after reading about them - but it's funny how they put all those links between both series and then say they're set in different universes.

I can't spare the money a X-Box would need (especially considering how much they cost here),and I'm glad the game was released on the BEST FPS PLATFORM EVER: the PC. (note: I like consoles, but for RTS and FPS games, PC is the king). It plays beautifully and smoothly, with the proper controls: Mouse and Keyboard. Sweet.

BTW, IMHO, the best "pure" FPS ever was Half-Life.

System "really scary" Shock and System "Gawd, I feel lonely in this huge dead ship" Shock 2 are so good I almost cry when thinking of them, but they're more like FPRPGs.

Ah, Deus-Ex, with all its flaws, was trully amazing. pitty my puny GeForce4 MX 440 can't handle its sequel.

Bungie is a great company and they love to deny anything. I met a bunch of them back when the marathon series first started to appear at MacWorld Boston. They are interesting to say the least...

It is hard to make a solid connection between the two games because of the obvious time line conflicts, however if you play Marathon 2 and Marathon Infinity you'd know that the Pfhor tried to use their early nova device to destroy L'Lhwon but Durandal was able to prevent it by using a Jjaro space station (very similar to the weapon in Halo, the early nova device and the ring)

Also the Covenant are very similar to the Pfhor in how they not only fight but also in how they are made up (several species and such)

Another interesting thing is to look at the sections on pathways into darkness and minotaur Bungie's first games, in those you can see the blatant connections between them and marathon (Jjaro ambassador appearing on Earth to warn of the awakening giant, etc)

the story is so immense that I could spend forever talking about it, it's simply amazing...I mean look at the amount of stuff on the story page! it's simply insane!

Edfilho said:
The funny thing about the Marathon-Halo connection is that Bungie flat-out denies it. It's quite clear in the company's Halo FAQ... I don't have an opinion on this matter - although I wish I could play Marathon games, after reading about them - but it's funny how they put all those links between both series and then say they're set in different universes.
Haven't seen Marathon, and only played the first one or two levels of Halo (and didn't care much for its plot - oh, another strange collection of alien races that decide to wipe out humanity for no reason, great), so I don't know (or care :p) what the connections are between the two games. However, I can suggest a good reason for Bungie's denial - copyrights. Bungie, as I understand it, is just a developer, so their games were probably published by someone else. Meanwhile, in the games business, it is apparently fairly common for publishers to ask for intellectual property rights in the publishing contract. This means that Bungie probably does not own the IP for either Halo or Marathon, and they must deny any connection in order to avoid lawsuits for copyright infringement.

(in short - if Chris Roberts made a game set in the Terran Confederation in the year 2900, he would deny any connection with the WC series, even if he also consciously built in thousands of WC references to build this connection)

(in short - if Chris Roberts made a game set in the Terran Confederation in the year 2900, he would deny any connection with the WC series, even if he also consciously built in thousands of WC references to build this connection)

Bad analogy - Chris actually retains some Wing Commander rights, related to the movie (G)

Bungie retains the rights to all their pre-halo games, I'm pretty sure they published themselves as well, it was only when they got bought up by who other than microsoft that they might have lost some control.

In all honesty I think Bungie just denies it to spark debate and just to leave people hanging as vidmasters (marathon's version of wingnuts) are quite into looking for such things.

The plot to Halo is so-so, however when done in conjuction with the books that pysch mentioned it is really a great story, maybe not marathon standards, but still good.

For all of you guys that can't or haven't play marathon, you can still read all the terminal text at the story page, not quite the same as playing but still always you to see what I'm talking about...

also for those of you who at least want a taste of what I'm talking about I found this link for the PC demo of Marathon 2: Durandal it's a little dated but still fun...

Back