Good, or ripoff?

Even though it's sealed, it still doesn't look to be in great shape. The box looks all crushed in the picture of the backside. I'd be worried about the condition of the discs inside. It's not uncommon for even a nondamaged box to have a damaged CD inside (I remember my first copy of Prophecy had to go back to Best Buy due to a scratched disc), but for something going for $200, I wouldn't want to take a risk on getting it and having it not work.

Why would you start with $190 anyway? Wouldn't you just go up to $200? Oh I get it, it's one of those marketing ploys, like when something costs $9.99, it doesn't REALLY cost $10.00.

Better yet, the Buy It Now price is only a few dollars more - so anyone who wanted it would simply hit buy it now rather than risk paying way more.

Of course, I hope that EA re-releases all the WC's again...

Me too! That is too high for any game. That game isn't old enough to be $190-especially in that uncertain condition. Plus, is the game even in English?

Iceblade said:
Me too! That is too high for any game. That game isn't old enough to be $190-especially in that uncertain condition. Plus, is the game even in English?
What else would it be? Hebraeish (sp)?
Actually I'd maybe pay that ammount for a fully German KS.

Mav23 said:
Why would you start with $190 anyway? Wouldn't you just go up to $200? Oh I get it, it's one of those marketing ploys, like when something costs $9.99, it doesn't REALLY cost $10.00.

Actually, I don't believe that's a marketing ploy -- IIRC, it's designed so that prices won't be exact amounts (after tax)... The reason for that being to prevent a cashier from easily making change from their own pockets and then pocketing the money for the item.

As for languages -- Kilrathi Saga was only ever done in English to the best of my knowledge.

Gold, not worth much? It's at an all-time high... Damn world economy and all, that is.

Anyhow, the numbers are a marketing ploy and a old-time antitheft ploy. Marketing in that people think they're cheaper, as well as when you apply a filter, it shows up (if you want all computers under $2000, $1999 would show up, $2000 won't. Blessed be the guy whose budget is $2001).

As for the antitheft, yes, it makes "wierd" change (with or without sales tax) to prevent pockeeting. This was way back in the old days though - nowadays the cash drawer is in easy view, so you know if it's being pocketed. Plus, it helps that the average cash register monkey can't add (nevermind calculate sales tax). Quite fun giving them an odd amount of change so it gives you an even amount of change back (e.g., so you get a quarter back). Doubly fun if you manage to get them to enter in the wrong amount of money (and thus have to calculate true change).

Bandit LOAF said:
Actually, I don't believe that's a marketing ploy

Actually I read about a study once where they use 2 catalogues with test groups. In one the prices would end with 99 cents, and on another it would be 99 cents cheaper and a round number.

So in catalog A the price would be x.99 and on catalog B it would be just x, round.

IIRC the "99" catalog sold best than the cheaper one, so maybe it works.

Back