Glide Wrapper Issue/ Question

Saturnyne

Vice Admiral
I'm having fun playing Prophecy and Secret Ops with the Glide wrapper. The spaceflight graphics are beautiful, most noticeably so at 640x480 (strange?).

Anyway, my only issue is a massive, MASSIVE slowdown that occurs during the ICIS mission briefings. The rest of the game runs at the proper framerate.

For hardware/API reference:
1.2 Ghz AMD Athlon T-bird
32MB Geforce2 GTS/Pro
768MB PC-133 SDRAM
DirectX 9.0c (or whatever the latest letter is now)
Geforce2 GTS drivers 71.64
Windows 98 SE
HCl's movie skip patch

If it were possible to get Prophecy and Secret Ops to use Glide rendering effects via DirectX (Or at least, some kind of texel alignment patch, since nVIDIA drivers can't align them very well), that would be awesome. Sure, Glides effects are superior, but hey. At least I wouldn't have incredulously choppy mission briefings!

I'm pretty sure it's a fault of the wrapper, but I'm also wondering if there's a workaround for it.

Anyway, any ideas/help/food, etc. will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

I wonder if the ICIS briefings just do something that the Geforce 2/Wrapper can't handle very efficiently. I haven't heard of too many people using a wrapper with such a system.

Just another question for the ages, I guess.

I'm one of those people who's willing to sacrifice beauty for efficiency, although of course, I try to get the most of both worlds. Hence, use of the wrapper.

Another option with such a machine is to pop in an original 3dfx card. They're about $10-15 on eBay.

Back