Gimle 1 help

FooAtari

Spaceman
Hi folks, new user to the forum.

I'm a big fan over WC3 and 4. But have never really played the games before that, apart a couple of times at a mates house back when it was released.

I'm not sure if it's the oldschool gameplay or the fact that Dosbox isn't running very well but I've been finding playing this game pretty hard going. At the moment I'm stuck on Gimle 1. first problem is the game seems to really slow when there are more than 3 or 4 ships on screen.

Secondly I'm having problems even taking down one Kilrathi before the cargo ship(?) gets blown to hell. Once I took down two of them but the last Kilrathi got the ship. Angel seems pertty useless and I'm trying to attract the kilrathi' attention but they still seem to target the ship. Any tips?

Also anyone got idea about the slowdown. I have a Core2Due 3.2Ghz and 3gb ram. Running with 5500 cycles in dosbox

Thanks

What are you using for Core and cycle settings in dosbox? If you are using ver0.72 then cycles=auto might work ok, or you might be better of with increasing your cyles just a little until you find a happy medium. Just experimenting should help some. Also swithching core= to either dynamic or auto might help even things out a bit.

The six-gunned Jalthi flies in a distinctively slow pattern, and since all three are attacking the Exeter, will pose no real threat to you. Save your missiles for them when they do an attack run - one hit will usually "spin" them and throw off their aim. Ideally you should be able to pick one off at the first pass, then you will have better chances of success.

The six-gunned Jalthi flies in a distinctively slow pattern, and since all three are attacking the Exeter, will pose no real threat to you. Save your missiles for them when they do an attack run - one hit will usually "spin" them and throw off their aim. Ideally you should be able to pick one off at the first pass, then you will have better chances of success.
That should do the trick, I think.
Throw away one Jalthi, missile the second and engage the third with cannons...
Anyway this mission is million times simpler than the one with captured Ralari you are to protect against Gratha... I was soooo pissed off with the colonel who would send only two fighters to protect such a critical vessel...

Oh yeah, so far I've progressed to Dakota 1.

Knight is also useless... Trying to keep those two cargo ships alive effectively on my own is pretty tough. I've managed to get the first one to the jump point a couple of times but the second one has been nailed every time. While night moans that he needs assistance. Been tempted to shoot him down myself. If I bother going back to the Claw I've killed about 9 and Knight 0 or 1!

Knight has always been worthless. Shoot him down at the start, keep him off the VDU- it's one less opportunity for friendly fire or crashing into him. I did it once, and the involuntary maniacal laughter that resulted was very cathartic...

Nah, you'll want the extra target for the Kilrathi to shoot at later. Some of the other missions in Dakota are... hard.

For Dakota #1: The second Drayman won't jump-in if you don't come too close to the navpoint. So as soon as you see those Jalthi, stop. Taunt them non-stop until they come to you...

For the mission that MjavTheGray mentioned:
If you are stuck, try watching this spoiler for a walkthrough.

Even if you manage to kill knight, or he manages to get himself killed, sometime later he will show up in debriefings :p

Does anyone who played Super Wing Commander remember if the Ralari mission was modified at all?

For some reason, I never had any difficulty with the mission at all, so it makes me wonder if the SWC version was dumbed down or something...

For the mission that MjavTheGray mentioned:
If you are stuck, try watching this spoiler for a walkthrough.

That guy gets about 10x the time I have ever had.
Maybe KS is different, but I barely have time to order Bossman to attack, lock a target and fire a missile. Then the Ralari dies.

The only times I have ever managed to do it is if I go in ramming.
I have always said i'd prefer a Raptor for this mission. I may change the mission and play it this way tonight.

Maybe KS is different, but I barely have time to order Bossman to attack, lock a target and fire a missile. Then the Ralari dies.

I have always said i'd prefer a Raptor for this mission. I may change the mission and play it this way tonight.

Kilrathi Saga, the Ralari Rescue mission wasn't changed at all. I played through that mission just yesterday, and have a spot saved in my WLD for it... So I could just as easily toss it into my DOS Wing Commander and compare... But I've played that mission a lot... Some times, one, even two of those Gratha will just randomly fly off and do nothing for a while. In those times, the mission gets fairly easily. When they're all focused, I've been able to beat it... Once.

There's of course then the SNES version of Wing Commander, which due to the mechanics and limitations make that mission such a piece of cake.

I haven't bothered playing that far into the SegaCD version, myself.... The voice acting, if a little wooden, was a gorgeous addition to that version of the game, the music in it, however, makes me ill, as does trying to play through with a Genesis controller.

I'm playing through the segacd wc1 at present and ironically did the kurasawa 2 mission last night, the sega-cd's lag is a serious issue but otherwise the mission is pretty similar to the pc one, I have a video that I'll post online in a few minutes.

The Youtube replay demonstrates that if you don't autopilot, the attacking gratha will usually be further away.

I shall have to try this, as well as using a raptor. The way I see it this mission is not about the finesse you get in a Rapier, but the sheer blood and thunder of a heavy fighter.

Frankly, I think the speed of the rapier is needed to get from coming out of autopilot to the first gratha.

Actually, I'd quite like to see this mission in standoff (or at least available in the simulator) - come to think of it, the entire wc1 tree would be super cool, even if only as training missions (i know, i know, lot of work etc etc)

Back