GI Joe THE MOVIE

Claymore

Rear Admiral
Apparently Paramount Pictures is making a GI Joe movie. They've released a couple pictures of their rendition of the character Snake Eyes. I'm just letting ya'll know. Because knowing is half the battle. The actor that plays Snake Eyes played Darth Maul (USA Today). So, I'm not going to be surprised if this isn't worth watching as an action movie.

The links are posted below:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/gijoenews.php?id=6958
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2008-03-20-gi-joe-preview_N.htm

Yep, it's to follow the Transformers movie of last year... it's supposed to come out later this year, IIRC.

It wasn't exactly a well-kept secret...

I was one of those kids that never figured out the appeal of GI Joe. What is it that interests people?

The actor that plays Snake Eyes played Darth Maul (USA Today). So, I'm not going to be surprised if this isn't worth watching as an action movie.
What does this mean?

I was one of those kids that never figured out the appeal of GI Joe. What is it that interests people?

Me neither. I mean I had some of the toys, but that was as far as it went for me. I don't know anything about these characters' backgrounds or the storyline and I'm really not interested in knowing those things. But if this is going to be a good old fashioned mindless action movie, then I'm all for it.

Yep, it's to follow the Transformers movie of last year... it's supposed to come out later this year, IIRC.

It wasn't exactly a well-kept secret...

It comes out early August 2009, which will be awesome as all hell because we get Transformers 2 in late June 2009.

It's hardly awesome as hell that GI Joe is being 'politically corrected' to make it an acronym for the 'Global International Somethingorother'. I guess being a "Real American Hero" runs the risk of offending someone somewhere.

I still say screw political correctness.

I have an old Snake Eyes card which I believe showed him laying down the smack on Communists.

Actually, I'm wrong. The GI Joe movie is actually due in August 2009 - 2 months after the sequel to Transformers (June 2009).

I had expected it to have been this year to avoid the lull, but I guess it's a cross-promotion type thing. It seems Transformers and GI Joe tend to go together, even though I really don't care too much about GI Joe.

Avoiding politics, the reason for Transformers and GI Joe movies are to sell toys. Hasbro just wants to do that, and avoid landing itself into international controversy that would hurt sales. And given Bayformers' success (box office and otherwise), change is in the air. (Even among TF fans, some hated the movie, others loved it...).

Except has GM actually released the new Camaro? After the big GM ad of last year, nothing's come of it since (at least, nothing with great fanfare - they may have released it quietly, but that would be silly.).

Anyhow, Hasbro didn't make any money out of the movie directly - it let Paramount/Dreamworks keep all the box office receipts. Any money Hasbro made came from selling movie-related toys. (I can't remember the reason why - but it wasn't a condition of the license.)

Can't say it's a bad strategy... Mattel's doing the same with Speed Racer toys.

Edit: add clarification.

Camaro will be ready for MY 2009 that means production begins in February.

They've been making sure their prototypes get seen on the streets, in camo or uncovered, generating buzz and making people want it. GM has no interest in stealing the Pontiac's thunder by dropping a Camaro on us at the same time as the G8.

Additionally, Ford's Mustang has always kicked the crap out of the Camaro in sales, and a redesign of that car shows up for MY2010, and the General is trying to avoid being slammed that way.

The Camaro is fully deserving of movies that serve as nothing but vehicles for its advertisement.

<sniff, sniff> What's that I smell? A Chevy fan, methinks? :D

I'm a Chevy fan mainly because of their trucks. I'm currently driving an S10 that is damn near fifteen years, that my brother handed down to me, and every year we usually beat the living crap out of that thing and it still runs just as good as it did the day brother bought it new. And that's without any repairs, save the driver's side mirror which was broken off in the horrible garbage can incident of '05.

However, if I were to buy a car in the Mustang\Camaro range it would have to be the Dodge Challenger. Dodge just has better styling in all their vehicles, though I wouldn't mind picking up Roush or Shelby Mustang if I had the chance.

Anyway, back to topic, I'm kind of interested in the GI Joe movie because I grew up on that show, but I am cringing inwardly a little because it's pretty easy to screw it up. Like with the XMen, Street Fighter, and Transformers there is a large group of heroes and villians and everybody has their favorites. If they try to shoehorn everybody you get changes to character's stories and just a general mess, ala Street Fighter.

If I were in charge I would treat a GI Joe film like an old style Mission: Impossible episode. You come with a threat and basic story and then you go into the lexicon to select the best heroes and villians to play it out. Then through writing the script you pepper in the necessary character details.

Like I said it sounds like it could be a cool film, but even if it's not it'll be prime fodder for Rifftrax.:D

However, if I were to buy a car in the Mustang\Camaro range it would have to be the Dodge Challenger. Dodge just has better styling in all their vehicles, though I wouldn't mind picking up Roush or Shelby Mustang if I had the chance.

I'm actually one of those guys who favors different makes depending on the vintage. I have favorites of pretty much all companies - foreign or domestic.

That said, I really like the new Challenger. Was real excited about it...but WHY NO MANUAL TRANNY? I mean, the SRT4 Caliber and the Viper get proper treatment. I'm all in favor of including the option of slushboxes - but I mean the SRT8 should at least have the possibility of being ordered with a manual.

As for the movie, I suppose I would have to classify my feelings as 'indifferent.' I certainly followed the GI Joe series and felt entertained, so if some real effort is put into the movie project, I don't see why it wouldn't be good.

Back