Gettysburg Class cruiser design proposal

Lynx

Spaceman
This is the ( work in progress) rebuilt version of the TCS Iron Duke I made some months ago. It' looks quite like the Tiger's Claw if you don't look too closely. :)
As you see, most of it's turrets are missing, the tailfins need some work and the underside is far from being finished, but the basic shape is done. Someone once suggested that this could be how the Gettysburg cruiser looked. I maybe port it to WCS: Battlegroup Serpent when it's done, if there are no problems with the model.
So, how do you like what's been done so far? Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Getty.jpg
    Getty.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 524
What changed from your last model? I can't put my finger on it (besides the missing turrets and texture) but somethings different. I still like the Exeter/Bengal look to it that was mentioned way back when and also the one change I can distinguish, the bigger launch bay. It gives the ship as a whole a much smaller look, something on par with what the size of a WC1 cruiser might be.

Edit: Ah, also a change in engine placement

C-ya

Actually I changed a lot on the model. The wing thingies are different. The bridge is more detailed, and the side view(not seen here 'cause it's underside is not ready)
is very different. The things sticking out on the sides are also of a different shape.

As for the stats, nothing is really known, other that's a heavy cruiser and supposed to be bigger than a Bengal. Main guns would almost certainly be heavy neutrons and torpedoes, and it carries a squadron of fighters at most.

I wonder than how the Austin could afford to transfer two pilots to the Claw in SM2. And why would they need an officer as high a rank as Angel to command the fighters if it is only a sqadron?

I think they had an Exeter as a stopgap model simulating its jump out of the system. Stuff like this has happened in other WC games, like a destroyer in place of the Confed frigate in WC3, or a transport in place as the Kilrathi scout frigate in WC3, etc etc.

Lynx said:
As for the stats, nothing is really known, other that's a heavy cruiser and supposed to be bigger than a Bengal. Main guns would almost certainly be heavy neutrons and torpedoes, and it carries a squadron of fighters at most.
Two squadrons at least, I'd say, possibly even as many as the Waterloos have.

well it would be senseless to create a new ship just for a short scene. it would take up valuble time for more important things for the game.

It's not really for the game, apparently. I'm not even sure if it appears.

Two squadrons is plenty for the period - the Concordia supercruiser, a contemporary and which I'm modeling (p1mp) apparently carries only two squadrons, although it certainly looks like it could carry more.

This is a really beautiful ship, Lynx. Do take the time to finish it (at your convenience), since, with the help of FRED, it can be made into, well, pretty much anything.

Meaning a Dreadnought, or a Kirov-like cruiser that can launch fighters.

I would deffinitely use it if available. (Fred wise)

I thought that was already in the game! if not, PLEASE put it in there! It's some of the best modeling I've seen in WC creations!

Back