[Gemini Sector] 8 Days in Imperial Fleet

This is the prequel story of my character in Gemini Sector RPG.

The entire story line took place on board an Imperial Destroyer in the Gemini Sector in 2659. Throughout the eight days, you would see many Kilrathi characters with varying identities as well as human characters. I hope this story will bring something new to the table. And please forgive me for the clumsy wordplay of non-native writing.

Last edited:
DAY 1

The door opened with a buzzing sound. Dr. Ulannajirak came out of the operating room, looking a little tired.

Ulannajirak encountered this emergency surgery just after onboard. Although he always prepared for emergency, this time it did take some effort to save this patient, an officer who had been seriously injured in the blood challenge, an almost fatal duel.

The doctor inwardly sighed. It seems to be true that the aggressive combat and hunt instinct was too close to the surface for these people here. In his years of study at homeworld, he learned it very well [1]. Throughout history, although in the face of ukta [2], the prey races, they can basically maintain the concept that they are all Kilrathi, but in apart from that, if there are no caste constraints [1], warriors from different clans often be infighting because of certain conflict, sometimes tiny ones in Ulannajirak’s eyes.

Seeing the doctor, a cub looks pretty young stood up, stared at Ulannajirak's face, full of anxiety, wanting to ask, but afraid to speak. This scene was so familiar to Ulannajirak.

“The patient is stabilized. Thank the Gods.” Ulannajirak nodded to the him.

Looking at the cub as relieved, kneeling in prayer, the doctor smiled and shook his head gently, walked towards the exit of the medical area. Not all injured people in a duel could have such luck. Even the great noble lords as Barons, the elders of various clans, there are many who had lost their lives in such blood challenge. Even the winner, not all of them have the opportunity to get the territory and titles brought by the victory for reward [3] alive.

“Doctor!”

The cub rushed up behind and called out to Ulannajirak. He got down on one knee and bowed to the doctor. "Thank Gods, and also, thank you for saving my father, Kal doctor!"

Hearing the cubs address themselves with the prefix Kal which indicates honorable, Ulannajirak was still a little surprised. He hesitated for a second, trying to figure out what to say now. “It is our duty. Please arise, young warrior…” Ulannajirak touched the cub's head with the palm of his paw. The cub’s mane was just beginning to puberty growth. “Well, go to the ward later to spend more time with your father. After waking up, he may still be… he will need some time to recover to normal strength.”

Leaving the medical area, Ulannajirak made his way to the second floor of the hangar. If he was at home like before, he would usually walk up to the roof of the building after a surgery, look into the distance and relax, with a cup of hot Xarg to replenish energy. This destroier, of course, has no such place, and the second floor of the hangar is the best place he could find to have a good vision for now.

The logisticians were working hard on the 1st floor. Because of not fighting directly on the battlefield, these people had long been underappreciated in the Empire. If any able-bodied Kilrathi went to work as a logistician in his prime, he would be even seen by others as unworthy to marry a lair mate and have cubs [4]. But Ulannajirak knew that these people were also an important a part of the fleet. More than two decades of war between the Empire and Terran Confederation have slowly made some Kilrathi people realize this. But more people just don't care. They just think of honor, even sending their immature cubs into battle in the expectation that those cubs will make a name for themselves as soon as possible - if the cubs could survive to their adulthood. In the Imperial Fleet, as the blood ties are not as strong as those of clan troops, some responsible parents would send the cubs to a reliable friend, or even keep the cubs in their own staff for safe. It looked like that cub was of the latter kind.

Thank the Gods for that, little one. If your father had not been so lucky and had gone to see your ancestors instead, you would likely have faced future bullying from now on.

In a sudden, Ulannajirak faintly heard a cacophony of sounds coming from behind him. His ears turned in the direction of the sound. It seemed like someone was yelling. And the sound was coming closer.

“Where is that new coming doctor! Come out! Do not try to hide from me!”

A stout Kilrathi with dappled fur appeared at the entrance with a lot of bandages on his body, walking with a limp. Ulannajirak turned around and surveyed the wounded one.

“You're the new doctor?” This Kilrathi aggressively glared at Ulannajirak. His speech was a bit slurred and looked as if it was related to the wound on his face.

“I'm the new doctor onboard today. What's up? Looking for me for something?” Ulannajirak was a bit dismissive of the guy's rude attitude, but kept a decent calm.

This Kilrathi's eyes widened, claws extended, and snarled, "Why did you bring that shameful loser back from his stupid ancestors?"

Oh? Ulannajirak hided his sneer. It looks like this was another participant in that duel. It seems he was quite upset because his opponent was saved.

“Loser?” Ulannajirak answered peacefully, “I'm sorry, but I was given the order to treat the wounded of a tie-duel. If you have a problem with this, please consult the superiors here.”

“I am the superior of this ship!” The Kilrathi roared, “You! Answer Senior Security Officer Dik'alekibak’s question humbly! Your attitude is upsetting me! ”

A hint of disgust drifted through Ulannajirak's mind. Although it has been known for a long time that in the Imperial fleets, which is a mixture of all kinds of people form various clans, vulgarity is the norm, especially on the ships where Kilrahra, the commoners are the majority. But it was the first time in his life that he had been questioned so rudely as a doctor.

“What's that look on your face? Looks like you're not recalcitrant?” This Security Officer named Dik'alekibak approached forward, “How did your dumb patriarch teach you to speak with a superior!”

Ulannajirak's face changed all of a sudden. He furrowed with mane bristling, stared hard at the bastard in front. It was just as bearable to be so rude to Ulannajirak himself, but definitely unacceptable to directly offend the patriarch.

“What? A doctor wants to challenge a warrior?” Dik'alekibak snarled, reaching for his blade at his belt, “If you want to go to see your ancestors now, I'll make it happen for you! Show your blade!”

“Stop it, Dik'alekibak!”

A voice broke the tension in the frozen air. In the direction of the sound came a light footstep. A young Kilrathi appeared in front of Ulannajirak. This youth looked similar to Ulannajirak in age, slim and very ably dressed in the uniform of a lower-middle ranking officer.

The young officer quickly came in front of Security Officer Dik'alekibak, back to him, and bows to Ulannajirak.

Kal Ulannajirk, please accept the belated greetings from Adjutant Akrah. My blood warms at the sight of thee [5].”

Ulannajirak froze for a moment, then hurried to return the salute. He bowed with his paws closing together, claws retracted. That’s an ancient etiquette, showing his special respect, but also for identifying himself. “My blood warms at the sight of thee, Adjutant Akrah.”

“We are sorry to have to request work when Kal Ulannajirak was just boarding, and thank you for saving Chief Officer Githaldega's life. We are very impressed by your honorable hrai's excellent medical skills. “ Adjutant Akrah looked back at that surprised security officer and continued, ”I'm sorry for the little misunderstanding earlier. The security officer Dik'alekibak has just finished his treatment thus has emotional instability, and he is not aware of your distinguished status of Thrakhra. We beg the forgiveness of your honorable hrai.“

Hearing these words, the security officer looked stunned. He seemed very dismayed by the noble status of the not-so-tall doctor in front of him. However, just with a closer look, one could find from Ulannajirak's light red pure-colored mane that proves he has noble blood. It was so different from the mingled coarse fur of the Security Officer, and those of the logisticians who were watching with bated breath on the first floor [6].

However, Ulannajirak was also confused. This adjutant looks and smells so different… No, this adjutant is not a male! Ulannajirak was very surprised how a female was an officer of the Imperial fleet and not a priestess.

"It doesn't matter, please don't bother too much." Ulannajirak nodded to Adjutant Akrah.

“I have arranged the single room for Kal Ulannajirak and will send servant to wait right away. Please take a good rest today, and I will invite Kal Ulannajirak on time tomorrow.“Adjutant Akrah paused for a second, "Kal Hajjnah has important work in the lab today and could not come to meet with you. I believe you will meet tomorrow. "

Hajjnah… The name gives Ulannajirak's mane a slight jolt.

“I know Kal Ulannajirak‘s work habits, so please go ahead and enjoy your time now. If Kal Ulannajirak needs anything, please just inform me. At your service.“ Adjutant Akrah bowed and then walked away with the limping security officer.

Ulannajirak froze for a moment. Things are looking pretty complicated and delicate on this ship. Competent female officer ... and ... Hajjnah's experiments. He turned around. The logisticians on the first floor hurriedly stopped their whispered chatter and returned to their task at paw.

Ulannajirak took the jar of Xark out of a pocket in the robe. Xark is a kind of drink made of blood drawn from what had been once the main prey, eons ago. Just the smell of this blood could make Kilrathi's manes bristle. Some warriors would carry a piece of fabric soaked in Xark to battle to enhance their killing instincts [7]. However, for Ulannajirak, a doctor, this blood-triggered hunting instinct was actually weak. In fact, a qualified doctor has to be as free from such disturbances as possible to ensure a normal mind during the procedure.

Ulannajirak opened the can of Xark and started to drink it with his rough tongue. The fresh taste was on his lips [7]. Looking at the star ocean far away, Ulannajirak lost in his thought.

[1] Fleet Action, Chapter Five
[2] Action Stations, Chapter Four
[3] Action Stations, Chapter One
[4] Fleet Action, Prologue
[5] Action Stations, Chapter Seven
[6] Freedom Flight, Chapter One
[7] Action Stations, Chapter Four

Last edited:
DAY 2

The privilege of choice...

Ulannajirak was a bit taken aback by the granting of this privilege by the young lord, along with his identity of the adult Thrakhra. Looking at the glorious gem in his hand, which symbolizes the status of nobility, his mood could not be calmed for a long time. All he could think of at once was that Thrakhra's identity would give him a fair amount of autonomy in his upcoming life on the front lines, while being free from some shackles.

However, another remark made to him by his master earlier disturbed him even more.

What did white maned grand master mean when he said that even...... that kind of situation was taken into account? He clenched his paws around the gem and took a deep breath.

The target area to which Ulannajirak was sent this time was called Gemini Sector by humans, an interesting name meaning twin cubs. This is obviously much better than going to Repleetah. In fact, the victory or defeat of that place called Repleetah is probably no longer relevant to the war. All those who go there to fight may just be fighting for the sake of the battle itself. Both sides are just fighting to prove something, but maybe no one can prove anything. In contrast, the place called Gemini by humans is more or less interesting. Ulannajirak knew that it was also a wild zone for humans, a paradise for adventurers even at the earlier days of the war, and still was, to some extent.

Will it be an adventure?

Ulannajirak waked up from the dream. He dreamed of something that happened before leaving the homeworld. He found himself literally holding the gem, which now had a warmth to it.

He freshened up, changed into his formal attire, and wore the symbol of status, the gem, in a proper manner. If that Security Officer Dik'alekibak saw the gem yesterday, maybe the unpleasantness wouldn't have happened? Ulannajirak decided to make it a habit to wear the gem in time after surgery. For him, being a decent adult Thrakhra was still something need learning.

Adjutant Akrah was quite punctual. Ulannajirak politely greeted her. After a brief exchange of pleasantries, the female adjutant led Ullannajirak to the captain's room.

The door to the captain's room was open and Adjutant Akrah made a gesture of invitation as Ulannajirak stepped in.

Standing in the middle of the captain's room is a medium-sized Kilrathi officer wearing a very neat uniform and shiny polished shoulder epaulettes. His mane was very neatly groomed, although it also had some mottled stray colors.

Ulannajirak stepped forward, bowed with his paws together.

A polite smile appeared on the captain's face. He took a few steps forward and bowed to Ulannajirak, "I put your honorable hrai's claws on my throat, Kal Ulannajirak, our honored guest." [1]

Ulannajirak responded in a standard tone politely, "I retract my claws and offer you some modest gifts from our homeworld to honorable Captain Khak." With that, he handed over the delicate package that he had prepared, "A token of our appreciation, please kindly accept this akrah equipment." [1]

The captain took the gift with both paws, placed it in his uniform, and then also handed Ulannajirak a wrapped item, "I offer Kal Ulannajirak a piece of gold-made Birha [2] tree leave." [1]

Ulannajirak carefully took the gift, Birha tree… It is a kind of beautiful plant, he thought silently. There are many of them on Ghorah Khar. And now that planet has rebelled against the Empire and stands with the humans.

Then Ulannajirak raised his head, showed his throat [3] to the captain, "My blood warms at the sight of thee, Captain. "

Captain Khak kept the polite smile still on his face, "My blood warms at the sight of thee, Doctor. It is a great honor for me and all the crew here to have two distinguished guests at the same time to work together for the victory of the Empire."

Ulannajirak also smiled, "I dare not accept the honor. It is also my honor to have the privilege to serve the Empire for his great victory."

The two were seated separately according to their identities of host and guest.

"Speaking of which, I'm really ashamed to say that I bothered Kal Ulannajirak to operate on the XO. of this ship when Kal Ulannajirak was just boarding yesterday. " Captain Khak continues, "But it was really an emergency situation. And, if it weren't for Doctor Ulannajirak excellent medical skills, XO. Githaldega's fate would have been unpredictable."

“I am flattered,“ Ulannajirak slightly waves his paw, “It is a divine blessing on XO. Githaldega from the Gods.“ Ulannajirak felt another wave of tension. That XO.'s injury yesterday was indeed serious. In retrospect, he really had to thank the gods for blessing that patient and allowing the opportunity to bring patient back.

"Doctor, you are too modest. I will instruct the military doctors on my ship to seek more advice from you and improve their medical knowledge, as to better serve the Empire." Captain Khak smiles again. “If you have any requirements, we will try our best to cooperate. So now can I invite doctor to Kal Hajjnah's lab? “

Ulannajirak stood up and bowed again. “Please lead the way, captain.“

Ulannajirak followed the captain through several passages. Along the way the ship's crew saluted them at attention. Ulannajirak saw that the ceilings above the heads of many of the ship's bunkers were not closed, with countless complex pipes exposed overhead. Kilrathi's ship's interior was designed with practicality and reliability as a priority, but such a scribbled layout still shows the ship's relatively humble status.

After several complicated staircases, they came to a metal gate. Adjutant Akela pressed a few buttons and the doors slowly opened. Ulannajirak's heart rippled once. It had been eight years, and this was the first time in such a long period that he was going to see that kil again.

The long and dark corridor behind gate was filled with complex smells. There were odors of Kilrathi people, mixed with some strong and unpleasant livestock smell. Of course, there is also scent of aliens. Looking far down the corridor, Ulannajirak saw a back. It was once a back he once knew very well. Ulannajirak's nose twitched slightly, Yes, It is him.

Kal Hajjnah,“ Adjutant Akela called out towards the back of that Kilrathi. “Kal Hajjnah?“

“Time to eat? Just put the food down, and go. Don't interrupt my thoughts…“ Absentmindedly, The Kilrathi sitting there replied while writing something.

This way of talking instantly evoked lots of memories of Ulannajirak… but he immediately collected his thoughts because it was not the right time.

“Well, Kal Hajjnah,“ the captain cleared his throat, ”Sorry to bother, but please put aside your work for a while. “

Only when he heard the captain's voice did the kil look back. Ulannajirak saw the face that was once so familiar. Yes, eight years on, Hajjnah's mane was not as vibrant as it was then.

Kal Hajjnah,“ the captain smiles, ”I think there is little need for any introduction, right?“ He gestured to Ulannajirak, ”Kal Ulannajirak is here to help you with your research for the Empire.“

Ulannajirak looked at Hajjnah, and the two looked at each other, and for a while no one spoke.

“Oh, sorry, I kinda have some military affairs to take care of here. Would both of you catch up first, please? I will invite you both to a banquet at noon. “ Captain Khak looked at the two for a second, then turned and left. Adjutant Akrah gently closed the door from the outside.

Both of the two Kilrathi in the room said nothing for seconds. They just sized each other up.

Ulannajirak noticed that the dark mane that Hajjnah had in memory was now a little lighter in color. This makes the pattern less conspicuous than it was eight years ago. At the same time, Hajjnah's fur was not as shiny as it used to be. Time flies, Ulannajirak thought. He remembers the way Hajjnah looked eight years ago when boarding the shuttle as a young one without looking back. At that time Hajjnah’s stature was thin but well-proportioned, not like the slightly bloated and unexercised Kil in front today.

“It's been a long time, Brother Hajjnah.” Ulannajirak still decided to speak first, “My blood warms at the sight of thee.”

“It's really you, Ulannajirak.” Hajjnah slightly sniffed, “I thought they had gotten the name wrong, or there was someone with a same name.” Then he glanced sideways at Ulannajirak again, "You have really grown up, huh, though still not really tall."

Ulannajirak closed his eyes and shook his head, the kil before himself remained the same.

"I also heard that the Imperial logistics department were going to transmit a group of young cubs to that… what is the name then ...... Repleetah, if only they listened closely to me..." Hajjnah sneered, "and I was once a bit worried for you, because you almost fit the criteria precisely." Then he turned his head away, "It seems that Gathica is really careful to take care of his own lone male cub."

Hearing these words, Ulannajirak had a flash of irritated impulse in his heart, which made his mane shake a little, but he calmed down. Don't talk too much about hrai matters in the Imperial fleet. “I am here by arrangement with our lord.” Ulannajirak stared at Hajjnah, “Also, I think your reference to my father with inappropriate tone.”

"Oh, I apologize if my recollection offended you. I should have asked, Kal Gathica. His blood still flows well? And then waited for you to answer, His blood is thick [4]." Hajjnah said this in a deliberately pretentious tone. "These things are below me though. Can the cliche help the Empire defeat the apes?" Then he turned and pointed to the information spread out on his desk, "What it will take to defeat those apes is my research." he sighs "They are barely worth my brilliance!"

Ulannajirak looked coldly at Hajjnah, "The lord has ordered me to assist you in your research."

Hajjnah made a growl of unsafistaction. "Really? Oh, I see your gem. Was it bestowed on you by the lord himself? Now, I understand your excitement, it's similar to when I got my piece eight years ago. Let me think about where did I leave it ......”

Ulannajirak frowned, "You leave the gem bestowed on you by our lord lying around?"

"As I said, I wholeheartedly research how to defeat apes, some other things I are not worthy of my attention." Hajjnah spread his paws and made an expression that he could not found the gem for now.

Ulannajirak’s mane bristled a bit. He stared at Hajjnah, "You really are a bit lacking in reverence, Hajjnah, just as what you did back then."

"Listen, cub! I repeat, it is not reverence that will enable us to defeat the apes, and it is certainly also not any of the old Kaga, the so-called warrior spirits, which is piled up with hordes of lives, that the antiquarians of the Empire are peddling, either!" Hajjnah growled with wide eyes, "knowledge, strategy, technology, these are the keys that will allow us to win!"

"And your arrival has delayed me for eight precious minutes, maybe more, if I'm going to re-continue what I thought. " Hajjnah continued, "So, if you are here to assist me, then do the following: open the door, leave from my room, and gently close the door behind you. You can do whatever you like, oh, you're old enough to have some Lair-mate fun, or if you're reserved, go to the medic and show the doctors here your healing skills and listen to these Kilrahra’s flatter."

Ulannajirak took a deep breath, "Hajjnah, I am obliged to do some review of your research. I've heard that your research project is about mind and emotion control. It's dangerous. "

"Oh, you've done some homework." Hajjnah put his paws on his back, "Presenting my commendation. For so many years, the empire has been using the clumsy fear brought about by the inefficient threat to oppress the prey, the apes are different, though inferior, we- I can take their minor strengths and add it to our own, anyone with even half a mind already knows our society is really outdated. The obtuse royal relatives cannot understand this on their own. They are just sending batch after batch of cubs to the front line to meet the ancestors."

Ulannajirak was startled, "Hajjnah, stop! Watch your words!" He lowered his voice, "It is Imperial Fleet here! Trouble comes from the mouth."

"Oh? Then you should leave quickly and give me less trouble. I am above such frivolities" Hajjnah sneered again.

"... I see…" Ulannajirak knew there was no point in staying here any longer now. "But at least, give me an outline of your current research. I can't do nothing."

Hajjnah, impatiently, made a few clicks on the computer. "Take it to your job." A reminder of file received pops up on Ulannajirak's portable terminal.

"I'll go back and analyze your research carefully," Ulannajirak turned toward the door, "and I'll be here to see you anytime if I find any problems." He opened the door, walked out of Hajjnah's research room, and closed the door.

Walking through the corridor full of various smells, Ulannajirak came to the metal gate of this research block. He just inputted the password he had memorized from Adjutant Akela. The metal door slowly opened.

But surprisingly, outside the door, Ulannajirak saw the cub he met yesterday, who was looking at him with astonishment, too.

The cub retracted his surprised expression. Once again, he got down on one knee and bowed to Ulannajirak. "Kal Dcotor Ulannajirak, my blood warms at the sight of thee! And, thank you again for saving my father yesterday! Please accept the sincere thanks from the humble cub named Irgahra. "

Ulannajirak was happy yet secretly amused when he heard the cub's words full of sincere and awe. This long list of words seemed to have been secretly recited many times by the cub named Irgahra. Still, Ulannajirak nodded solemnly, "My blood warms at the sight of you, young warrior. Please arise."

Irgahra stood up carefully and stood with attention, "Reporting to Kal Doctor, I am the breeder and cleaner here."

Breeder and cleaner… Ulannajirak thought silently. That was a very low-class job in the Imperial fleet. Although from his appearance as well as the given name that means Tree People, Irgahra was a Kilrahra of very ordinary origin with no doubt. However, Ulannajirak remembered that this cub should be the son of the XO. of this ship. A ship's XO. let his own son to do such kind of jobs?

“Oh...“ Ulannajirak hesitated for a few seconds and then said, "Please do a good job."

“Yes, Kal Doctor! I will not let Kal Hajjnah down!“ replied Irgahra clearly.

Ulannajirak frowned slightly, did Hajjnah ask this cub to do chores for him? Huh, this guy is really arrogant. Then he nodded and watched Igrahra walked through the metal gate and saluted again. The metal gate closed slowly.

Ulannajirak arrived at the medical bay. He decided to see how Igrahra's father, the ship's first officer named Githaldega, was recovering. The faint smell of disinfectant in the ward relaxed Ulannajirak. XO. Githaldega was sleeping. Ulannajirak looked at his monitoring data and then began reviewing the care records. In yesterday's blood challenge, XO. Githaldega was severely injured and lost a lot of blood, and it took Ulannajirak and the ship's medical staff a lot of effort to turn him around. I don't know why the first officer of a ship has such a big conflict with the senior security officer. Ulannajirak shook his head gently. He fliped back to the beginning of the medical records.

XO. Githaldega as a veteran, served as a juvenile soldier even in the early days of the Empire-Terran Confederation War. A peasant by birth, he was born in ...... Ulannajirak secretly admired this warrior. To be able to struggle all the way from a junior soldier to the first officer of a ship was indeed remarkable. However, he also knew that this was almost the ceiling for most Kilrahra warriors. Unless having some lucky chance in a battle or being valued by the nobility to take as a retainer, it would be very difficult for a commoner from the bottom to be promoted again. People like former Second Fleet Commander Admiral Nargth are, after all, a tiny minority [5].

XO. Githaldega's birthplace looked familiar to Ulannajirak, who vaguely remembered the place as if he had heard it in a previous history class, but couldn't remember where it was at the moment.

Although it didn't show on the face, Ulannajirak was actually quite uncomfortable with the noon banquet. This was certainly not because the hospitality on a small Kilrahra ship was a bit shabby both in terms of specifications and style, but because Ulannajirak had not been very comfortable with such occasions since his cubhood. Especially the Security Officer named Dik'alekibak, his attentiveness was completely different from before. Ulannajirak had some disdain in his heart, but still tried to put on a very happy face. Hajjnah was certainly absent, and Ulannajirak's mind had long since flown to that research outline. Fortunately, Captain Khak and Adjutant Akrah hosted the event appropriately so that the scene didn't look awkward.

The banquet ended. Ulannajirak politely but firmly rejected some females who offered to lay with him. Before leaving, parents had re-emphasized to their cub that he should never go near these people in the Imperial Fleet. Ulannajirak knew that many of these females were actually eyes and ears for Imperial Intelligence. He grew up hearing his father's stories of people who got into trouble for talking topics they shouldn't have said on the bed [6].

Returning to the room and closing the door behind him, Ulannajirak took out his portable terminal and began reading the outline of Hajjnah's research. He was a little annoyed, since the so called outline was actually unorganized and messy, let alone most of what was here are the information he already knew, and Hajjnah didn't give out any of the critical data part at all. Looks like I still have to go to him. Ulannajirak's throat gave a shuddering growl of discontent.

But just as the terminal was about to be closed, a strange line was reflected in Ulannajirak's eyes:

… After the change to the new breeder, the mental resistance values of newly enrolled subjects Gemini 1 and Gemini 2 were significantly lower, and the difference was statistically significant…

New breeder? The cub named Irgahra?
Ulannajirak thought, and what are subjects Gemini 1 and Gemini 2 newly enrolled?

He checked the document again. There was no more information.

Hajjnah named the experiments with the Terran name of this sector? Ulannajirak's heart fluttered with a hint of unease. He couldn't have captured some humans here for experimentation, could he?

Ulannajirak stood up. He decided he'd better go and check it out himself.

However, another surprise to Ulannajirak was that the password he had remembered earlier was invalid now and he could not open the door to the experimental area. After repeating this several times, he realized that Hajjnah had likely changed the password to prevent himself from re-entering. Ulannajirak let out a low growl in his throat.

What to do now? After deliberating, Ulannajirak decided to go and ask Adjutant Akrah.

Adjutant Akrah came down from the bridge, still looking a picture of competence. She bowed decently and then asked, "My blood warms at the sight of thee, Kal Ulannajirak. You said there was something you wanted to ask me in person, face to face?"

Ulannajirak returned the salute, then nodded, " My blood warms at the sight of thee, Adjutant Akrah. I need the gate code for the experimental area."

Adjutant Akrah pondered for a second, "This is the password that Kal Hajjnah gave me earlier." She took out her terminal, pulled up a file, and showed it to Ulannajirak.

This is, of course, the password Ulannajirak saw earlier. It seems that Hajjnah did not even tell the captain's team after changing the password. Ulannajirak was really a little angry, but he took care not to show it to Adjutant Akrah. "Then, could you ask Kal Hajjnah for me?"

Hearing these words, a smile vaguely emerged on the female adjutant's face. "I understand, Kal Ulannajirak, but it may not be until Kal Hajjnah returns tonight or even tomorrow." Then Adjutant Akrah added, " Kal Hajjnah went to the fleet flagship after the noon meal to confer with Fleet Command about some matters, and perhaps some other things. As is customary, he would not receive any communications during this process."

Hearing this, Ulannajirak frowned. Hajjnah, he is simply....

Adjutant Akrah looked at Ulannajirak quietly, then nodded, "Please understand that Kal Hajjnah always does not allow us to interrupt his research. I think Kal Ulannajirak has seen it this morning. In fact, even those who are responsible for feeding the experimental animals and cleaning work on time twice a day are only allowed to work quietly without too much noise, let alone interrupt his thoughts at will." Then she smiles bitterly, "He discharged logisticians three times because of this."

Ulannajirak shook his head repeatedly. Hajjnah, although the crew of this ship are Kilraha, you are not their lord and they are not our servants after all. Why do you be so rude?

However, he suddenly noticed something, feeding and cleaning twice a day... It means…

Ulannajirak nodded, "Adjutant Akrah, again thank you very much for the help." Then he turned away.

Looking at Ulannajirak's back, Adjutant Akrah politely returned the salute, "Kal Ulannajirak, as I said, at your service." His calm voice revealed an imperceptible hint of approval as well as subtlety.

Ulannajirak did not go to the lower deck to find Irgahra, not primarily because the lower decks of the Kilrahra ships were often cramped and crowded and filled with all kinds of strong odors, but mainly because his presence there was too conspicuous. He found an unobtrusive spot outside the experimental area and sat down, opened the terminal to continue reading and waited quietly.

Finally, the sound of footsteps came from the distance. It was Irgahra who had come to clean and feed on schedule. The cub spotted Ulannajirak sitting in the shadow and was stunned. He hurriedly dropped to one knee, "Kal Ulannajirak… My blood warms at the… sight of thee…" There was clearly some panic in his tone.

Ulannajirak stood up and nodded. “Please arise, young warrior.”

The cub still kept his salute, “Again, thanks to Kal Ulannajirak for saving my father. Your kindness is something we will never forget.“ When he spoke, he did not look at Ulannajirak with his eyes.

Ulannajirak felt a little strange of this. Although it is normal to be thankful three times for something like this. But this cub was clearly a bit flustered, even not like the last time.

"Irgahra, can you open the gate for me? I have something to do here.“ Ulannajirak still decided to say it straight.

"Ah..." Irgahra grimaced, "Of course ...... at your service, but ...... but ......"

Ulannajirak frowned slightly, "What's the problem? I have business to attend to."

Irgahra bowed his head, "Of course at your command ...... just ...... just ......"

"Oh, I see. Ulannajirak laughed, then turned away, “I will not look at the new password." I wonder how Hajjnah has threatened the cub earlier.

Irgahra walked up and entered the password. Ulannajirak turned his back. From the sound, the password was definitely much longer than before. In his heart, he had a secret disdain for Hajjnah again.

“Please, Kal Ulannajirak...“ Irgahra stood next to the slowly opening door, hanging his head, waiting for the Kal coming.

The light in the corridor was the same, not bright. Ulannajirak looked at Hajjnah's room at the end of one side, which appeared to be unlit. It seemed to be locked from the hint of the door lock.

Irgahra was nervous, "Kal doctor, I don't have access to Kal Hajjnah's room either. In fact, even when he was there, I was only allowed to enter and clean when he was dining." As he spoke, the cub's head hung down and his ears perked up, as if ready to receive a scolding.

Ulannajirak nodded, "I see. So could you tell me here ...... how you usually keep the animals?"

Hearing such a response from Ulannajirak, Irgahra showed some slight surprise, and then he bowed and said in a respectful tone, "I come in here two to three times a day to feed these animals according to their habits, clean the cages, and ...... some other chores."

Ulannajirak nodded, "In that case, you must have learned the habits of these animals," he then continued, "show me them in turn."

"At Kal’s service. " Irgahra replied humbly.

This time it was Ulannajirak's turn to be a little surprised, Irgahra was like a museum curator, very knowledgeable about these creatures from various imperial colony worlds. He was not only familiar with their origin and habits, but even some individual differences that were not recorded in the regular books.

In addition, Ulannajirak noticed one thing, these animals behaved calmly and tamely in the presence of Irgahra. Although some of the more aggressive or sensitive animals were very alert after sensing the arrival of a stranger, they were quickly calmed by Irgahra's reassurance.

It's easy to subdue prey, but it takes extra talent to tame them. Ulannajirak thought silently. He had a praise for this humble looking Kilrahra cub. However, on second thought, Ulannajirak then realized that such a talent was actually not valued in the mainstream of traditional Imperial values. For the vast majority of cubs of Kilrahra origin, the only way to improve their status is basically to accumulate battle achievements.

Now, it was the end of the corridor, and Ulannajirak saw the last locked door.

“Is this room also the residence of experimental animals?” Ulannajirak turned to Irgahra. He cared a lot about Gemini 1 and Gemini 2 as mentioned in Hajjnah's records. Although Irgahra's previous presentation apparently did not mention the number, Ulannajirak felt that those two experimental subjects were definitely not among the previous animals.

"Yes..." There was some hesitation in Irgahra's tone, "Does Kal going to see them too?"

"Why not?" Ulannajirak looked at Irgahra, "Is there something special about them?"

"Uh ......" Irgahra lowered his head, then raised head slightly, "So, would I be so bold as to request Kal Ulannajirak to wait a moment while I go inside ...... and clean up a bit?"

"That's fine," Ulannajirak felt a little amused at the cub's cautious look, "but didn't you say you cleaned two to three times a day? Did you slack off this morning?"

"Kal's subordinate dares not!" Irgahra immediately knelt down on one knee, "It's just that, these two animals are rather special ...... I need to confirm again."

Irgahra's response almost confirmed Ulannajirak's suspicions. The two…they must be Gemini 1 and Gemini 2. So, are they human? He nodded his head in permission.

After a few moments passed, Irgahra widely opened the door of the room open and stood by it, "Kal Ulannajirak, please come in."

This time, Ulannajirak immediately confirmed from the smell emanating from the room that there were humans living in it. He sighed silently, it was true.

Ulannajirak noticed that Irgahra had kept the place particularly clean, even beyond the standard of housing for animals. And after crossing a corner door, Ulannajirak finally saw it - the two humans.

The two humans were both cubs, dressed in simple slave garments made of monochrome fabric, sitting silently in the corner behind the field barrier. Silver collars was worn around their necks [7]. Although the two cubs were dressed almost identically, Ulannajirak was able to identify them by his experience that they are a male and a female.

Ulannajirak examines the two human cubs. They looked thin even in the standard of Terran kids, but were cleanly dressed and had no strange odor other than their own judging from the smell coming from the ventilation holes. Looks like Irgahra is taking good care of them.

The two human cubs bowed their heads in silence. Ulannajirak walked in slowly, crouching slowly outside the field barrier to make himself appear less tall.

"Hey, " Ulannajirak called the two human cubs in Terran language, with soft tones, "Take it easy, I am not hurting you."

One of the cubs, probably the male one, looked up slightly at Ulannajirak, and then lowered his head again. Ulannajirak switched to a different language, this time with a dialect mix of multiple races’ languages, a common accent in those gray areas of the Imperial border [7]. This time, both cubs raised their heads, but still remained silent.

"Didn't you hear? Salute Kal Ulannajirak now!“ Irgahra commanded, also in this language, with a low growl in his throat. However, Ulannajirak noticed out of the corner of his eye that despite the menacing tone, Irgahra nodded his head in a very covert manner.

The two cubs stood up, then both got down on one knee, "Kal Ulannajirak, our master."

Ulannajirak was slightly surprised. The two cubs were pronouncing his name very accurately. He knew his name, bestowed on by the old lord, which means a combination of a leafy tree from his homeworld and a kind of herb tea used for ceremony [4], was a little long thus was usually not easy to pronounce for slaves of other species.

“Arise.“ Ulannajirak indicates that the two cubs are ready to stand up. This time he saw Irgahra nodded again.

Ulannajirak turned to Irgahra, "Turn off the field shield. I could talk to them closer."

Irgahra was stunned for a moment, then bowed, "As Kal commanded." He went to the outer room, brought a cushion and laid it respectfully on the floor, "Please sit down, Kal. I am turning off the shield right now."

Ulannajirak looked at Irgahra, then sat down. He assumed a relaxed pose. Irgahra then pressed the switch to turn off the field.

As the shield disappeared, Irgahra stepped forward, standing on the side between Ulannajirak and human.

Ulannajirak smiled, "Irgahra, you are very responsible, but isn’t it a little over worried? Such human cubs - let me be blunt - are unlikely to pose any threat to us at all. Or… do you have something else in mind? "

"Eh…" Irgahra was momentarily speechless with this question.

Ulannajirak turns back to the two human cubs, "Like I said, take it easy, I have no intention of hurting you." Then he looked at Irgahra again, "No need to be worried."

“Well…“ Ulannajirak asked with his soft tone again, ”What are your names, Terran kids?“

“…“ The male cub looks at Ulannajirak, then Irgahra who nodded slightly once more, answered, ”Romulus.“

Hearing this name, Ulannajirak smiled. He knew it was the name of a legendary figure in human culture. “Then you are…?“ He turns to the female cub.

”… Remus.” The female cub answered quietly.

Sure enough...... Ulannajirak looked at the two human cubs, who appeared to be from the same litter. "Where are you from?"

"I don't know..." The male cub named Romulus replied with her head lowered.

Kal Ulannajirak,“ Irgahra said, ”In response to Kal‘s question, can I answer for them?“

Ulannajirak turned to him, “Yes?“

“As far as I know, the ape cubs were ordered by Kal Hajjnah from the slave market. Most likely they were born there, so they are really unaware of where they come from…“ Irgahra paused for a second, ”He is not refusing to answer Kal doctor.“

“I know,“ Ulannajirak nodded, but why are you in such a hurry? He looked at Irgahra's cautious demeanor and finally understood the point to all of these.

"I'll say it again, I won't hurt them, no matter what they say, so you can rest assured. Is that OK?" Ulannajirak looks at Irgahra.

“Are you from the same litter?” Ulannajirak asked, but then he knew it might cause a confusion, “I mean, are you two twins?“

The two human cubs glanced at each other, then nodded silently.

“Well ......” Ulannajirak couldn't think of how to continue the conversation for a while. There are many things to ask, but none of them seem appropriate right now. “It's time for you to feed them, right?” Finally he turned to Irgahra, “What do they eat regularly?”

"Some mixed plant leaves and stems, and seeds, according to the instruction," Irgahra replied, "There were also seizures of what apes call canned fruit."

Ulannajirak frowned, “You prepare it, and I will have a check.” Then he stood up, "lead the way."

Under the watchful eye of Ulannajirak, Irgahra prepared food for the human cubs. This process was followed by a constant frown from Ulannajirak, who finally sighed at the mixed plant debris in the vessel, "Which instruction told you to make this? Is it from Ha… Kal Hajjnah?"

"No.." Irgahra sensed Ulannajirak's displeasure, "Kal Hajjnah did not have specific instructions, I just experimented on my own based on the information I found out ......."

Ulannajirak shook his head, "I tell you, humans are not pure herbivores, so basically they eat meat too, especially these young cubs that are growing. Get some lean meat, and eggs. Also bring me the heater."

As Irgahra watched in amazement, Ulannajirak began preparing food for the two human pups. And finally, with the heater in place, the rich smell of protein wafted out. "That's fine." Ulannajirak nodded, "You can take it and feed them now."

Looking at the human cubs who were wolfing down the food, Ulannajirak showed an expression of satisfaction. He looked at the jaw-dropping Irgahra and said, "This way they will develop better."

In one eight minutes, the two cubs ate all the food. "Now you can go and look after the other animals", Ulannajirak said, getting up from his cushion and preparing to leave. He knew he needed to think about what to do next, and it would take time.

"KalKal Ulannajirak…" Suddenly, the female cub named Remus spoke. Ulannajirak looked back at her.

Shra…” In a low but very clear voice, the little one uttered a Kilrathi word, meaning “gratitude”, although the word sounding strange, lisping and high-pitched [4].

Ulannajirak froze for a moment, then smiled and turned to Irgahra, "You taught them?"

"...... Ah, yes," Irgahra was a bit overwhelmed, "they should show reverence to Kal ......"

"Then I'll go back first," Ulannajirak paused, "and be sure to let me know in time if Kal Hajjnah is planning to do any ...... harmful experiments on them." Then he looked seriously and earnestly at the surprised Kilrahra teenager, "Be sure to remember."

Irgahra got down on one knee, "At your service, Kal doctor."

Lying in his room, Ulannajirak couldn't help but smile as he thought back on what had just happened. He knew that the reason the Kilrahra teenager named Irgahra was initially so worried that he would hurt the two humans was definitely not just because he was afraid of taking responsibility. From all his actions, the teenager had somehow developed emotions to the two human cubs. Ulannajirak was very sure of this speculation because ......

You are the same as me of that year, Irgahra.

* Thanks to @tarsus for revising the lines of Hajjnah, and @Bonk for naming the human twins.
* Thanks to @Ash's Boomstick for point out some mistakes in wording expressions!

[1] Price of Freedom, Chapter Eight
[2] Freedom Flight, Chapter One
[3] Action Stations, Chapter Four
[4] Action Stations, Chapter Five
[5] Action Stations, Chapter Four
[6] Action Stations, Chapter Seven
[7] Action Stations, Chapter Eight

Last edited:
DAY 3

Ulannajirak's mane stood up, his eyes burned with anger, and a low growl of rage came from his throat.

Behind him, the human slave fell to the ground, hand covering his bleeding wounds, looking in horror at what was before them. The two tall adult Kilrathi on the opposite side were filled with amazement at the angry cub that stood in the way of the slave.

Hajjnah finally came to his senses and hurriedly explained, "Kal Najnal, I'm sorry, this slave was given bestowed on us hrai by our lord without full disposal rights given. Therefore ...... if you two distinguished guests would like to enjoy the flesh and blood of the prey ...... please wait a little moment, let me ...... ask for instructions... ..."

The Kilrathi named Najnal turned his head to Hajjnah, and then looked at Ulannajirak, who was still in the way, snorted without a word. And the other Kilrathi, whose claws were stained with human blood, was full of disdain. “Hajjnah, even if that's the case, but what's up with your ...... little brother? Does you think it's too expensive to entertain guests with a slave? Or do you look down on us?”

Hajjnah scrambled to explain, "No, no, no, B'bak, don't get me wrong, Ulananjirak is just ...... he is just more ...... to this slave how can I explain it ......"

"Well, thank you for your hospitality." Najnal waved his paw, "B'bak, it's getting late, let's go back, we have to leave early tomorrow morning."

"Yes, my lord!" The Kilrathi named B'bak said as he licked his claws, then spat out, "Awful taste!" Then the two got out of the garden.

"What are you still staring at!“ Ulannajirak, who was crouched beside the human slave checking his injuries, roared at the bewildered Hajjnah, “Help me out!"

Ulannajrak woke up. He dreamed about that day again.

He remembered that it was his first real surgery, successfully saving the human slave. Although with scars on the back, the human survived, healthy.

It was also shortly after that that Hajjnah left the hrai to pursue further studies in the relevant departments of the Empire. Yesterday was the first time they met after that.

Now it's time to make the rounds of the wards. Ulannajirak walked to the Medbay of this destroyer, changed into his doctor's suits. He still wore the gem carefully underneath that. Several Kilrahra crews limped in for bandaging and treatment, seemingly from physical punishment. The ship's medic was extra hardworking and attentive in front of Ulannajirak, a Thrakhra Kal, which kind of made the unlucky ones also more or less get a little benefit. Ulannajirak, on the other hand, showed humility, especially in front of the Kilrahra military doctors who was more senior in years of experience than himself. This was not only a virtue of humility, but also a form of self-protection. White maned grand master always cautioned him to avoid showing off his fangs and claws when he didn't need to.

After checking on the condition of several lightly wounded soldiers, Ulannajirak went to XO. Githaldega's bed. By all parameters, the XO. was steadily recovering, although it was expected that there is still a period of time before he could return to his post. The duel two days ago would no doubt leave more marks of battle on his already scarred skin. Ulannajirak sighed secretly.

Githaldega's ears twitched, then slowly opened his eyes. He turned his head to Ulannajirak. “Kal… Doctor Ulannajirak?”

Ulannajirak smiles and nods, then raised his head to show the throat, "My blood warms at the sight of thee, Chief Officer Githaldega."

Githaldega struggled to get up from the bed. Ulannajirak waved his paw to signal him to stop, " I appreciate your thoughts. As a doctor, I ask that you maintain a resting posture. "

The XO. nodded and slowly lay down, but still tried to show respect to the doctor in front of him by raising his head and exposing his throat.

Suddenly, Ulannajirak didn't know what to say for a moment. Generally speaking, on such occasions there is a fixed phrase, something like "you still have not recovered completely from your honorable wounds received when fighting the enemy," but it was definitely not appropriate to say so here. He actually wanted to know what the Blood Challenge was all about that day, but he didn't find the opportunity to find out. Since Ulannajirak himself was not programmed to be in the combat sequence of this fleet, he should pry less into the internal affairs here.

"Doctor, thank you for saving my life," perhaps seeing the young doctor's embarrassment, the XO. spoke first, "My cub told me about the surgery."

"It's my duty", Ulannajirak nodded, "Don't worry, I checked your care records and you'll be back in your combat position for serving the Empire soon."

While this was true, Ulannajirak was not sure that this XO. was recovering fast enough. Soon, the fleet would enter the target sector, and after that, the battle with the humans could be fought at any time. It's ridiculous to have serious infighting within the force at a time like this, Ulannajirak thought.

This XO. nodded with a bitter smile and then sighed softly. Yes, he knew this very well too.

"As far as I know, XO. Githaldega has served the Empire honorably since the early days of the war. I saw to so many glorious scars on your skin." Ulannajirak tried to change the topic, “Please accept my respect.

"This is my duty to the empire." XO. Githaldega looked up, but his eyes seemed to reveal some subtle change.

Although the answer was standard, Ulannajirak found a familiar look in this XO.'s eyes. Yes, he had seen the same thing in the eyes of White maned grand master when talking about the war happened several generations ago to conquer the Varni, the war in which that Kilrahra grand master lost so much.

Maybe it's because he's also been through so much in these several eight years of war, Ulannajirak thought. A hunt that was thought by most to go as well as before has long since fallen into the mud. They won one system, only to lose another. What does the Kilrahi gain from this, and what does it cost them?

But anyway, you still have your own cub well here. Ulannajirak realized that although the breeder's job was looked down upon, it was safer.

The doctor and his patient fell silent for a few seconds. Ulannajirak was at a loss as to how to continue this conversation. He wanted to talk about Irgahra, but hesitated to do so. Praising Irgahra for raising slaves well? Although he did approve of the cub for his awesome work, would that be a bad thing to his father?

"Kal Doctor, allow me to thank you for the lessons you have taught my cub that have benefited him so much." Seemingly taking the initiative to break the ice, Githaldega spoke first.

"Ah," Ulannajirak froze for a second, "It was the least I could do."

Githaldega sighed with a bitter smile, "Kal Doctor has given my cub such a great favor." He paused for a while, "Excuse me... but I know Irgahra's talent is only enough for herding in the homeworld."

It was surprised for Ulannajirak to hear such words from a long-time veteran. "No need to be so modest, XO. Githaldega." In a very solemn tone, Ulannajirak continues, "It takes time for a cub to become a warrior."

Githaldega slowly shakes his head, "Thank you, Kal doctor, but no need to comfort me... I know exactly what Irgahra could do, and what he could not. I really had planned for leave him herding in our homeworld ...... if we still had a homeworld."

This statement at once shocked Ulannajirak. Immediately thereafter, the doctor realized that it was likely that the war had taken away the homeworld of Githaldega hrai.

So was it a human attack that destroyed that homeworld? Ulannajirak's heart sank. The war has been going on for more than a generation now, and both sides of the war have lost a lot in the repeated tug. No one gains a complete advantage, there is only the loss of the blood. Fortunately, Ulannajirak's own homeworld has never been involved in the war. Otherwise, maybe I would have disliked humans, too.

Then the doctor then realized another thing: Irgahra did not seem to be very hostile to humans, or at least to the two cubs; on the contrary, it seemed that he even cared for them. Why? Ulannajirak felt a little confusion. Could it be that... Irgahra had no memory of the hometworld at all for he was born after that incident? Githaldega does not tell him more of it? Or...

A term floated through Ulannajirak's mind. Planet Hhallas ...... Several years ago, the humans attacked the Hhallas in retaliation for the Empire's attack on the Confederation colony. Lord Ralgha is the only Thrakhra of his hrai who survived. However, a few years ago he defected to humans. Ulannajirak knew that this is a sensitive topic, because that ship of Hhallas was not destructed by the raiding humans, but by the local kalrahr who thought it was one of the human ships and fired before confirming the identification code. Maybe that's one of the reasons Lord Ralgha defected ......? Ulannajirak sighed secretly.

Then, Ulannajirak came back to reality. He realized he was thinking a little too far ahead.

"Githaldega hrai will surely find a new homeworld in the future. The gods will bless you." Ulannajirak said very seriously.

"Thank you for your well wishes, Kal doctor." Githaldega smiled and nodded, "I would be satisfied if one day in the future, he could graze well for a honorable master."

"If ...... that would really be the case ......," Ulannajirak hesitated for a second, then finally decided to continue, "Irgahra will do very well. I'm pretty sure."

"Thank you, Kal Ulannajirak." Githaldega let out a long breath, "Oh, I'm so sorry Kal doctor took the time to listen to so much of me. Eight eights of pardons, Kal doctor. Excuse me for interrupting your work."

Hearing this, Ulannajirak waved his paws in a hurry. "Uh, not at all. In fact, it is part of my job to understand your status through conversation."

Leaving the MedBay, Ulannajirak returned to his room. He opened the terminal and checked Githaldega's medical history again. But this time, instead of focusing on the condition, he saw directly the column of Githaldega's birthplace.

The result surprised Ulannajirak a little. Information showed that that planet was encountered the stellar violent activity triggered natural disaster just before the outbreak of war, and due to the failure of communication facilities, distress signals were not sent out in time ...... By the time rescuers arrived, it was too late.

It turns out that Githaldega, who was a teenage soldier at the time, was lucky to survive the battlefield from McAuliffe, only to learn later that his home was gone. Ulannajirak couldn't help but sigh. Anyway, Ulannajirak thought, this explains Irgahra's good attitude toward human cubs. That should be the case.

Ulannajirak began to organize the information from the jumble of notes passed on by Hajjnah. Seriously, he had to admit that these things were a bit hard to understand. Although he had heard something that Hajjnah's academic life in the Empire did not major in clinical medicine, reading these research notes really made Ulannajirak realize how much this former senior apprentice had changed.

What troubles Ulannajirak was that much of the research had to do with controlling the emotional state of intelligent beings.

Last edited:
Back