Gemini Gold Cleans Up The Showroom (May 22, 2006)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
John Cordell has provided another peek at the status of the Gemini Gold project. This image shows the original Privateer loadout screen and the updated shot in the new engine. The room has been recreated in 3D and polished object models have been integrated into the menu seamlessly. As previously mentioned, the team is trying to recreate a number of the interface locations that were not as sharp in some Privateer remakes. Other projects have simply stretched the original backgrounds and superimposed newer models. There's still a bit more work to be done on the scene, and the next published update to GG is probably a ways off, but the final interior shots should look great.

You will recognize for sure that the picture is missing some details, also the light needs a bit of
tweaking - so it is a usual work in progress shot. As you can see, we try - even with the new rendered interiors - to make the game look like it did "in the good old days."

--
Original update published on May 22, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good. Are you modeling the yellow tractor as well?

Good point about the tractor.

I saw that the hoses at the bottom of the picture and the ship's shadow were missing then read this from the original:

You will recognize for sure that the picture is missing some details

I'm sure that given Gemini Gold's attention to detail the final version will contain all those elements (and many more that I couldn't spot).

Bandit LOAF said:
I believe the yellow tractor model is in the set I sent the Gemini Gold guys.

Now I'm curious.

Is each picture background in Privateer composed entirely (or partially) by 3d elements?

Is the yellow tractor in the background a 3d representation (with a front, sides, back, top and bottom) and not just a 2d drawing?

If so, what format are they in?

I also noticed the sign "Beware of Low Gravity Regions" doesn't look exactly like the original. Am I wrong, is that what the sign in the original read?

Thanks

Yes, the original Privateer had all (or at least most) of its artwork done in 3D Studio Max. What you see in the game is a rendering image taken from a particular camera view. There is a top/bottom/side/etc. to the yellow car.

I don't have the artwork here with me now, but I *believe* that's what it says.

st3lt3k said:
I also noticed the sign "Beware of Low Gravity Regions" doesn't look exactly like the original. Am I wrong, is that what the sign in the original read?

Should be the same sign. The whole scene is in 3D.
Graphic wise the game looks great, i worry more about the code...

Bandit LOAF said:
Yes, the original Privateer had all (or at least most) of its artwork done in 3D Studio Max. What you see in the game is a rendering image taken from a particular camera view. There is a top/bottom/side/etc. to the yellow car.

I don't have the artwork here with me now, but I *believe* that's what it says.

John Cordell said:
Should be the same sign. The whole scene is in 3D.

Thanks!

Looks great!

Excellent recreation of a familar and fondly-remembered scene. (Heck, I have Priv installed on one of my computers right now.)

One thing I notice, though, is that the Galaxy's cockpit is definitely shorter in the new model. Any chance of fixing this, or are the ship models frozen at this stage?

Back