Gamestop interview: Chris Roberts: Why I've Come Back to Gaming

I still try to wrap my head around the fact, that we are having RSI and Cloud Imperium. Could it be, that this Squadron-based game is only one of perhaps two planned games? Like StarLancer & Freelancer? Or could CI be the multiplayer of Squadron 42?

Edit: Squadron 42? That's got to be a working title. I mean...42? Like the password to the RSI-site and the number on the Hangar from the Cloud Imperium picture? That would be too much Hitchhiker ;).

I was figuring that CI was simply a development code name a la Blue Harvest = Return of the Jedi. Could be completely wrong though. :)

Well, scratch my earlier comment on the name as Gametrailers have it as "Star Citizen" - unless that's the name of the actual trailer? It's not clear... We certainly have a lot of names floating about at the moment. :)

So, one thing I find myself wondering - if this is Wing Commander, and set in the Kilrathi War, as that trailer seems to almost completely confirm without saying a word... then what's all the website fiction referring to? Is Chris Roberts going to announce two games, one being a non-WC title?

That is exactly what I thought. RSI could refer to Cloud Imperium (Freelancer style) while Star Citizen could be WC.

He's already said he wanted to do a reboot of Wing Commander. My guess is that, in wanting to create a rich, Freelancer-style world and incorporating the open world elements of games like that, he decided to add more races for greater variety and more dynamic and interesting political / factional gameplay. So, what you're reading there is building up to a Wing Commander game, albeit in a world we're not quite familiar with.

"Cloud Imperium" is the name of the game studio Chris has founded. No information as to what talent is involved there. Roberts Space Industries simply seems to be a web platform that is staged for the announcement. There is a German mag which is going to run an article after 4pm which has claimed to some of its forum members that the game is not going to be called Squadron 42 and the real name will be revealed on today's live feed instead.

2 minutes to go....

EDIT: ....aaand site is down :D (and back again)
listening to the stream. 1200 other people also do.

Back