Gameplay preview

I've been staring hard at the pic for the landing on the flight deck...

Am I right in assuming there's a slight "ramp" on the launch deck?
lexq3ue.gif

Starman,
The images look spectacular! Very good job converting FS/FS2 graphics to WC. I especially liked the look of the two capships slugging it out. Very nice job on both models and the weapons fire.

Just one question. In the dogfight scene you are flashing red, obviously from taking some hits. Is there a way to turn off the palette flash? Just curious because I can't stand it when I play WC. Find it very distracting.

My enthusaism for Saga has been rejuvenated with this spate of updates, both here and on your website. Don't wait so long next time. Looking forward to playing a demo or the full game. Great work and keep it up!!

That's pretty nifty -- are the ramps and ship models on them static or do they move about dynamically while taking off/landing?

In your Lexington model shots from a year or two back, there appear to be two additional flightdecks on either side of the ship. Will these be operational in the game, i.e. can one land/take-off from them?

EDIT: I couldn't access the Saga site earlier, but just checked now and the Lexington description mentions the third launch bay, which I assume is the one I indicated in the image above that traverses the width of the ship. So the ramp effectively breaks the main launch bay into two, or is there another launch bay elsewhere?

Cheers,

BrynS

Those ramps/elevators are static. I just modelled them in to give the ramp some functional purpose :) It now looks like the backpart is meant for landing and then the lifts transport the fighters on the lower level (like the hellcat seen above).

As for the sidebays, they aren't open in the model (I first thought about that too, but the modelfile is already to big, modelling these bays into the model would have been bad for ingame performance).

The texture on the side-openings now just show closed blastdoors, and we are using the flythrough hangar for ingame use.

The lighting inside the ship seems a little weird to me. There don't seem to be any large or high powered lights providing the illumination for it to be that bright. Perhaps the glow maps are a bit dim where this light is coming from? Might just be the picture though.

Also, is this the resolution the game will be in? If so you might want to consider doing something with some of the textures, the floor in particular looks very :D "old school."

edit: I just noticed that the pic has obviously been sized up. My mistake. The texture suggestion is still applicable, though.

Now that I think of that. It wouldn't be nice if someone screwed up the landing maneuver.

I'm I just imaging things or wasn't it supposed to be that all post battle-of-earth carriers produced by confed supposed to have multiple bays, influenced by the success of the Kilrathi's Hakaga's?

gevatter Lars said:
Good observation. The Lexington-class has indeed a ramp like structure.

In that picture, on the left wall (to the viewer) of the landing deck, your texure is split between the large wall texture and the small wall texture.

Looks neat otherwise.

Aplha 1-1 said:
I'm I just imaging things or wasn't it supposed to be that all post battle-of-earth carriers produced by confed supposed to have multiple bays, influenced by the success of the Kilrathi's Hakaga's?
It's just you :p. Post-war carriers like the Vesuvius and the Midway did have multiple bays, and this was indeed due to the influence of the Hakaga (amongst other things - arguably a far more important influence were Kilrathi suicide attacks)... but that's post-war. Considering that the war ended within a year of the battle of Earth, we can safely assume that the Hakaga did not have too much influence on wartime carriers.

Not sure if anyone's asked this... Will there be controllable turrets on the bombers and such?

So the bombers will indeed have turrets? just AI controlled. Not quite as fun, but much better than nothing. Thanks for the response.

Whenever you make a video, could you include that? I'm curious to see it implemented.

Bombadier said:
Starman,
Just one question. In the dogfight scene you are flashing red, obviously from taking some hits. Is there a way to turn off the palette flash? Just curious because I can't stand it when I play WC. Find it very distracting.

Sorry for the late replay, I nearly missed your post :)

To be honest, I'm like you in this part, I have disabled that in WC3 and 4 myself. But I'm not sure it's possible to disable in FS too. But I have to say, it is somehow not so much disturbing as it was in the original games, and I got used to it.

Just a quick comment, If I haven't been misreading, one of the comments being made as to why video clips aren't being made has been lack of a computer able to make good videos. (If I'm wrong about that, ignore this post). What you might consider doing is running the game in 640x480 rather than 1024x768. That way you could definately have the full spec mapping and glow mapping implemented and while it wouldn't perfectly reflect the final quality of the game, it would be easier on your computers and ultimately would make the files more accessable to those without broadband. Just some more ideas for you guys.

If you've got dial-up, and this game comes out, let me know. You send me a self-addressed envelope containing a blank cdrom, and I'll mail you the thing, free of charge. (I'm no profiteer, I just am willing to help you out. I remember what dialup was like, and I don't want that to kill the fun for anyone)
That way, there's no problem, and you don't lose quality.

Back