game/missiles.iff error message

S

Stellarc

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me.

When starting the game, just after the logo screen, I get a message related to
game/missiles.iff

This file is missing or something, and the game fails to start.
I also have standoff installed (It works fine), and when installing UE, was given option of overwriting files (from standoff) that had identical names/sizes and were dated from the same day, albeit at slightly different times. Is this file overwriting (or lack of, I didn't overwrite any as they looked the same) the possible cause? Or could it be related to the fact that I resumed an interupted download?

If it is something else, please help.

I should at this point say, Awesome People. I have played a bit of standoff, and its great, but tough. There is a dearth of space sims at the moment, and unfortunately Starlancer and Freelancer both had critical flaws. WC5 has best space sim engine ever, and I'm so glad that there are finally some more missions.
My year has been made. One question: why weren't confed Secret Ops ships not used, they are far superior to Stilletos (2 Decoys?) and Gladii.
Thanx guys, I only wish I had to know-how to contribute to your fantastic endeavours.

Stellarc said:
When starting the game, just after the logo screen, I get a message related to
game/missiles.iff

This file is missing or something, and the game fails to start.
I also have standoff installed (It works fine), and when installing UE, was given option of overwriting files (from standoff) that had identical names/sizes and were dated from the same day, albeit at slightly different times. Is this file overwriting (or lack of, I didn't overwrite any as they looked the same) the possible cause? Or could it be related to the fact that I resumed an interupted download?
The only files that Standoff and UE shares are hi-resolution patch and movie dlls... these should be the same version in both UE and Standoff's setup package. I would advise you to re-download UE and re-install it.

Stellarc said:
One question: why weren't confed Secret Ops ships not used, they are far superior to Stilletos (2 Decoys?) and Gladii.
That's because Standoff isn't set in the same timeframe :p Standoff is set between WC2 and WC3, just before Battle of Earth. Check Standoff's web site for more details on Standoff's time and place settings.

Privateer Time?

Thanks for the reply, I will try to DL again.
Is Standoff the same time period as Privateer? (this would make sense, as I hear that you get to eliminate the retro's in Righteous Fire)(Mmmmm......I wonder if I'll get to scan the Privateer character's ship for contraband later in standoff)

I just happen to be playing Privateer through for the first time now.
I like it that Starlancer is set before the migration to Sirius in Freelancer, both of which clearly preceed the other WC titles. I noticed that some Gemini sector systems have same names as Freelancer systems. Are they meant to be the same systems? If so, What happened to New-New York system or whatever it was called, and the Japanese and German Arms?

On a side note, anyone know how to get roll to work in Freelancer; yaw to work in starlancer; keyboard roll contrrols to work simultaneously with mouse or joystick mode in Privateer(or reduce sensitivity of yaw & pitch in keyboard mode so that I can actually line up a target).

TIA, Happy tracking!

Stellarc said:
Is Standoff the same time period as Privateer? (this would make sense, as I hear that you get to eliminate the retro's in Righteous Fire)(Mmmmm......I wonder if I'll get to scan the Privateer character's ship for contraband later in standoff)
Standoff takes place a few months before Privateer.

I like it that Starlancer is set before the migration to Sirius in Freelancer, both of which clearly preceed the other WC titles. I noticed that some Gemini sector systems have same names as Freelancer systems. Are they meant to be the same systems? If so, What happened to New-New York system or whatever it was called, and the Japanese and German Arms?
Starlancer and Freelancer are completely separate from WC - they are not set in the same universe. However, some of the people who worked on these games had previously worked on WC titles. So, if there are places in Freelancer with the same names as places in Gemini, these are just little personal references, nothing more.

(and Sirius, of course, is a real star, so it has a tendency to show up in every sci-fi work known to mankind :p)

Read the fiction, check out wcnews.com and review the sites for UE and Standoff. Then all should be much clearer. ;)

What about the Retros?

Quarto said:
Starlancer and Freelancer are completely separate from WC - they are not set in the same universe. :p)

Fair enough, but they both have Retro's. It would have been nice if Freelancer was a bit more original, all the place names seem to be copies of Earth locales.
Anyone know if roll control can be implemented in this game?
I hate it when AI's can do things you can't do, but should be able to. The enemies in FL can and do maneuver across 3 axes, but the player can only do 2.

Oh gods above! Please let WC and Ultima (single player) be made again, lest we all suffer your righteous fire!

Stellarc logging out.

Back