From the Stars: Wing Commander ships in From The Depths

L.I.F.

Vice Admiral
From The Depths is a pretty nifty voxel game (construction à la Minecraft) that is designed around building ships, submarines, aircraft and spaceships with armament, subsystems, sensors, etc., to have them fight. After building some other stuff, I've just started a quite ambitious project: a full scale recreation of the mythical TCS Victory in her 720 metres glory. Here's the current ship, pretty barebones but recognizable already:

5C50F2CF44B4B3E7AB9C9D210D166998EB3EDD65

As of now, I've got the internal flight bay (without details) and two thirds of the top part of the external hull (everything forward of the Bussard scoops top-side), the first step being completion of the outer hull to start working on internals, first the flight bay, then the conning tower as well as the turrets and finally elements not shown in the game (maintenance bay, engineering, that kind of thing).

Of course, as soon as the external hull will be finished, I will upload the ship on the Steam Workshop to allow any Wingnut to walk around inside it.

EDIT: here's the top engineering section, pretty annoying to do with the double slopebut it's rendering decently now.

CB16877B555528667372C6E40F4A3F293F31472D

Attachments

• 1580814299170.png
    1580814299170.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 127
Last edited:
1580824515842.png

60 percent of the main hull is done now, and it really starts looking like the original. At this point, I need to add the belly and the rear, then it'll be time to start the decoration. More than 100 000 blocks needed at this point.

EDIT: the large bulge under the flight deck is done, next part will be the painful double-sloped area on bottom aft.

For reference, the largest block available is a 4 metres by 1 metre one. The ship is more than 700 metres long.

Last edited:
Wow, that's impressive. I've been playing around with spaceships in FTD myself, but nothing this ambitious.

Wow, that's impressive. I've been playing around with spaceships in FTD myself, but nothing this ambitious.
My last project was a submarine with Lua controls, working sensor displays, strategic map and numerical data indicators. If you're curious about it:

Status update, a large part of the underside is done, including the Bussard scoops:

1580894275046.png

Current stats: 2,5 million resources, 142 344 blocks. I need to finish part of the bottom and then put the bottom engineering sections as well as all engines. Then the tedious part of interior decoration will start. Expect a 200 000 blocks blueprint once I upload it.

The most important realization for me is that Victory is BIG. It's a really, really big ship, which doesn't appear that clearly (at least it didn't for me) in the original game, considering we're mostly seeing it from the PoV of a fighter. Hell, I could put two dozen subs in the flight bay, or an Arleigh Burke destroyer laid on its side.

Last edited:
Urgh, got the proportions slightly wrong, so the final ship will be around 640-650 metres long instead of 720 metres. Should still give a proper idea of its size to work on it.

8229CC33995D97367D09667A64A7A3CB6487FBEC

C02CB5D7646695C5F18B569B6499CB301A527EA7

I'll cut the part behind the red line, but the outer hull is now 95 % done.

Last edited:
Looks pretty cool! Clarification on the description: the "Ranger" name was fan speculation based on a line in Action Stations, but it was later established that the Victory was Yorktown class.

And I've started working on the internals, starting with the ready room:

031A9E00230CEF6672F08AD766DD6E9D7406D8D2

21-fc.jpg

Small level of detail as of now, since I'm not sure yet whether I'll have to redo a lot of stuff to stay within the hull limits (for example, I'll have to reduce its depth to get the payload computers closer to the briefing room's door before spending too much time on getting the lighting and the details right). The doors to the briefing room are working, though I haven't linked them to logic systems and buttons yet, same for the glass door leading to the stairs set going down to the flight deck. Next step will be the briefing room and the CIC, then the elevator linking the various decks in the conning tower.

Back