Friendly Fire

T

The Sphynx

I had an interesting experience the other day.

I decided to take on a Kilrathi capital ship with my lone Centurion (I needed some credits). It was guarded by two Dralthis, which weren't too much of a concern for me. I decided to dodge the Dralthis and go straight for the big boy. Something interesting happened: while the Dralthis were chasing me, some of their shots accidentally hit the Kamekh. The Kamekh then opened fire on the Dralthis and blew them out of the sky. While it was helpful to me (Kamekh: "Foolish Dralthi pilots, you have insulted our honor! Die in shame!"), it reminded me of something you may want to tweak.

All ships seem to be very touchy about friendly fire. If you accidently hit a friendly, or they bump into you during a fight, they automatically assume that you are a traitor. I didn't realize it happened within factions as well until my fire fight with the Kamekh. So, maybe it would be helpful to raise the number of shots/amount of damage it takes before neutral of friendly craft turn hostile on you. I know you can usually talk them down (except for one Gladius that chased my across 3 sectors, with me sending friendly vid coms the whole way until he finally called down. Talk about road rage!), but it is a bit of a problem when you accidentaly hit a glancing blow on a friendly militia member and he assumes you are a pirate.

Maybe you should have them wait until they have taken hull damage from you, or until their shields on one side have been drained 25%-50%.

Anyway, just some thoughts that might clear up a minor bug in you otherwise fantastic program.

Could use some tweaking I guess :D It used to be a lot worse though..

Each faction has a relation with each other faction. These relations used to be dynamic. (now only their relation to the privateer faction, you, is dynamic). Even stranger, each faction had a relation with itself. If you got kilrathi to shoot at each other often enough, the kilrathi relation to the kilrathi relation would be hostile! Anytime a kilrathi saw another kilrathi (like his wingman), he would open fire. It was a constant civil war.. all vs. all. That has been fixed of course :) I only mention it cause it was weird :D

Could we see a chart of the various factions relations to each other? That would answer a lot of my questions about a few things I've observed.

hmm I could make ramming change the faction relation a lot less...
but that was put in there to make it much more similar to the original
If you remember: in the original if you rammed a stiletto they got *pissed*... I couldn't ever appease the confeds after I just nicked one stiletto on the way to perry

And another question: why are you ramming ships? are they that hard to avoid? did they somehow spawn in front of you so you had no choice--or was it just "boys with toys" round two

Oh stars....

hellcatv said:
And another question: why are you ramming ships? are they that hard to avoid? did they somehow spawn in front of you so you had no choice--or was it just "boys with toys" round two

Well...
Darn it!
I'm laughing too hard to type.

Eh hem!
<koff koff>

Hooee, umm, I think someone was testing their shields. Which ones I ain't sayin, but I think he got them at the local apothecary.

<giggle>

That boy must-a had a new toy. I do seem to recall that "ramming" or brushing, or some such term was acceptible in combat against your ENEMIES.

Maybe he was really into a dogfight and didn't see his allies? I have taken out the occasional pirate/kilrathi/meanie that was NOT my target that way. They just got in the way of a really good dogfight. Darned Confed boob anyway. He shoulda known to keep his distance. A Centurion at full afterburner does NOT stop on a dime.

Wendy

Back