Freelancer -> Privateer Mod?

Cam

Spaceman
Freelancer -> Privateer Total Conversion?

Would it be possible to mod Freelancer into Privateer (the original)? If so, would anybody like to do it? :D

Re: Freelancer -> Privateer Total Conversion?

Originally posted by Cam
Would it be possible to mod Freelancer into Privateer (the original)? If so, would anybody like to do it? :D

Don't you mean mod Privateer into Freelancer?

Re: Freelancer -> Privateer Total Conversion?

Originally posted by Cam

if i had the talent and skill to do that (not to mention a PC that can handle freelancer) i would love to. but as i don't, i'll just have to wait till someone else does

I'm no coder but I love Freelancer so much I think we could make it what it should've been: Privateer 3. ;) Except I'm more of a traditional Privateer 1 fan...

Re: Re: Freelancer -> Privateer Total Conversion?

Originally posted by Timmy the Tooth
Don't you mean mod Privateer into Freelancer?

No, I think he means mod Freelancer into Privateer, just like he said.

It wouldn't be too hard...

Just replace the graphics with new stuff, but emulate Privateer's locations and everything. It wouldn't be that difficult, we could even make more unique locations in Privateer to visit too.

Basically it would need to be reprogramed to have the factions from Privateer, and the jump connections all correct from the Gemini Sector. All the content would be rewritten and vocals could be ripped right out of the original Privateer. Better yet, we could redo the Privateer 1 storyline in 3D... ;)

I forsee the only problem is figuring out how to get around trade lanes and replacing it with the usual "autopilot" form. ;) Actually, it's not that big of a problem.

From what I'm reading in the Lancer's Reactor Freelancer editing forum, a lot of the data in Freelancer is just lists of information in ini files.

Commodities would be easy to rename, and prices would be easy to change. I never said we'd have to change the GUI for Freelancer, but the locations, music, graphics, that sort of stuff we could address first.

Besides, I wouldn't be the one programming it. :D

I think ultimately it really wouldn't be all that hard to do that sort of thing, but it really would be hard to get the right people together and get them motivated. WC projects have a habit of taking forever and go nowhere.

Then there's also the fact that Privateer is pretty good the way it is, and Freelancer is supposed to be, also, so what's the purpose, really? The way I understand it, Freelancer basically is Privateer anyway, just with different names and pictures used to protect the innocent.

It's a lot easier to get Privateer running than to convert Freelancer into Privateer.

it wouldn't be too hard.... PFFT yeah right... look I don't really want to discourage you but making a mod is a lot more involved than it first sounds... "let's make a new game!""....ERR wrong answer... your looking at new ship art, new weapon art, new effects tons of stuff this is just the tip of the iceberg... this is WHY WC:U hasn't been released yet, because there simply is TOO much that needs doing.... (right now we're scaling back the game to a wc3 mod for vegastrike. once the initial ships are done and released we will be moving on to wc2/1/priv etc) it WILL take a while it WON't be coming soon but we WILL finish it. take my advice.... before you rush into a fan project plan carefully or better yet don't start a new project, join an existing one such as vegastrike which has proven over time that YES development MAY be slow... but it does get done... existing projects can and will be much better than any mod one person can come up with.

Originally posted by Cam
I'm no coder but I love Freelancer so much I think we could make it what it should've been: Privateer 3. ;) Except I'm more of a traditional Privateer 1 fan...

Blasphemy!!!!!

FL is utter crap compared to Priv, even with its outdated graphics.

Originally posted by Darkmage
take my advice.... before you rush into a fan project plan carefully or better yet don't start a new project, join an existing one such as vegastrike which has proven over time that YES development MAY be slow... but it does get done... existing projects can and will be much better than any mod one person can come up with.
I don't mean to be rude, but you just don't know what you're talking about here. If you strip Standoff of two or three nebula graphics which I didn't do and HCl's patches which I didn't code, you have a mod that "one person came up with" which has actually made a lot more progress than most projects which were already "existing" projects way before I started. I put the word existing in quotes since some of them even make me wonder, I mean, all we've seen so far are a few people full of bullshit and propaganda, but without anything real to show. These people might as well not have announced any "projects" and avoided making fools of themselves, not to mention ruining the credibility real projects with real chances of completion get from the community.

Bottom line is: if you want to make a mod, get working. When you get to the part you don't know how to edit, get someone reliable to help you. But whatever you do, don't drop your idea in favor of someone else's, cause other peoples mods are ultimately something you don't want to be part of. I wasted about a year helping on someone else's WC project and the only good that did me was delaying the creation of Standoff :p This other mod didn't get finished, and after so many people getting involved, if it ever got finished it would suck anyway.

Personally, I think that with Cam's talent, if he found a reliable programmer, he could pull off a Privateer conversion for Freelancer without a hitch, specially considering how few ships the original Privateer had... so you'd get a lot of free time to work on the planets and characters while someone else balanced the game stats and made any required changes to the engine's inner workings. However, I think Frosty's right... At least to me, Freelancer feels basically like Privateer, except on training wheels... so any Privateer TC would end up being a dumbed-down 3D version of the original.

--Eder

Which is precisely why making a Privateer mod would be so easy! BECAUSE Freelancer is basically Privateer, it just needs a makeover and new graphics. Of course, certain changes would have to be made to make the game better, and certain artistic liberties could be taken to enhance the game. It could work, it just takes effort. The Prophecy/SO mods I still see in production could've been finished in a year by the looks of things, and a Freelancer mod would be no different.

To mod Freelancer, I'd say it'd take 2-3 programmers and 1-2 artists, and a year.

It'd be very difficult to form a team of three to five people who can all commit themselves for such a long time.

Actually after having looked at the editable ini files for Freelancer, it'd take 1 person a year :D And another for art, and a lot of free time.

Looks like that game is very easily modified. The hard part is actually doing the new graphics and getting the game to use them.

Originally posted by KrisV
It'd be very difficult to form a team of three to five people who can all commit themselves for such a long time.

Yes, polygamy often doesn't work very well.

Back