Freelancer Joystick revisit

Mindcrime

Commodore
so years later i must ask the question:
has anyone figured out a way to integrate the joystick as the controller instead of the mouse? I could never get over it honestly and never played the game more than a few days because of this reason.

It's easy enough to run Freelancer with a joystick mouse emulator (practically all of them work) but...it's not worth it. Freelancer was designed to be played using a mouse, and trying to fly ships in Freelancer with a joystick is quite a lot like trying to fly ships in Wing Commander using a mouse. You can do it, but you are aware your controls are less than ideally responsive and it feels like trying to fly while operating the controls using a robotic arm or something.

Freelancer isn't really a space sim in any event. It's more of a third person hack and slash in space.

It's easy enough to run Freelancer with a joystick mouse emulator (practically all of them work) but...it's not worth it. Freelancer was designed to be played using a mouse, and trying to fly ships in Freelancer with a joystick is quite a lot like trying to fly ships in Wing Commander using a mouse. You can do it, but you are aware your controls are less than ideally responsive and it feels like trying to fly while operating the controls using a robotic arm or something.
I'll have you know, with the exception of Privateer and Armada, the Wing Commander series had excellent mouse controls. I played the whole series with the mouse, and I can't understand why anyone would give up the precision of the mouse for a joystick... except when it comes to Privateer and Armada, of course.

I'll have you know, with the exception of Privateer and Armada, the Wing Commander series had excellent mouse controls. I played the whole series with the mouse, and I can't understand why anyone would give up the precision of the mouse for a joystick... except when it comes to Privateer and Armada, of course.

I guess a lot of it comes down to personal preference. I'm one of those that can't abide mouse controls, perhaps with practice I could get used to it. That said, just using a joystick took some getting used to for the first two Wing Commander games, I grew up flying with keyboard and for the earlier games including Privateer, this is still my controller of choice. III and IV don't allow us to fly with a keyboard really, the ships don't handle properly unless you can get used to having one finger on the shift key which for me makes it hard to afterburn at the same time. Some would probably say that my preference is odd, in the same way they do about mouse controls. It's all down to the individual. You make a good point about precision, though.

Freelancer isn't really a space sim in any event. It's more of a third person hack and slash in space.

This perfectly sums up Freelancer.

maybe its about time i stop being so damn stubborn and actually try it with a mouse. thanks you guys for your help

well i tried it out with the mouse. got about 5 missions in and i can't take it anymore. the mouse is killing me. its just not fun. the game itself is great. I started playing starlancer instead lol.....while sorta playing wc3, privateer, standoff, and unknown enemy. can you tell i'm excited for Star Citizen?? : )

Back