framerate issue

pigsonthewing

Rear Admiral
hi.. for some reason now when i load the game it gets skippy when i look at a starbase or a fighter.. i set graphics to low as they can go and it still gives me problems.. amd64 3200 with a geforce 7800 gt oc, 1 gig ram, internal soundcard...

and it seems to only give me trouble around certain fighters like the talon.. i have tried different ram settings and read the manual and set everything to simple graphics but have not had success.. windows xp sp2 + wing commander games=one huge headache and a lot of posts in the tech support forum.

pigsonthewing said:
and it seems to only give me trouble around certain fighters like the talon.. i have tried different ram settings and read the manual and set everything to simple graphics but have not had success..
I'm not familiar with vega strike but with your setup you would expect that it should run smooth no matter what the settings. You set all the detail levels to low. But what about resolution. Try lowering that as well if you havent.

windows xp sp2 + wing commander games=one huge headache and a lot of posts in the tech support forum.

I personally don't find it that hard to get them to run. It's a lot easier than in win98/2k .

ive tried every resolution from 680x480 and above.. it pauses when i encounter a talon, but the action continues, weapons fire, my shields failing, my hull exploding... i just cant see it because my visual keeps skipping.. its fine when the talon is off screen but the moment i look at it its weird... does this game respond negatively to vertical sync? ill try that tomorrow when i wake up..

pigsonthewing said:
ive tried every resolution from 680x480 and above.. it pauses when i encounter a talon, but the action continues, weapons fire, my shields failing, my hull exploding... i just cant see it because my visual keeps skipping.. its fine when the talon is off screen but the moment i look at it its weird... does this game respond negatively to vertical sync? ill try that tomorrow when i wake up..

Does this continue for an extended session? What I mean is, if you play for half an hour, does this happen constantly? It sounds to me like the game is loading textures into memory. VS has a setting for your memory size. Is that set correctly?

Have you changed anything on you system for example the graphic card driver? What happends if you backup your savegames, delete the game then install it again and then restore your savegames?

t.c.cgi said:
Does this continue for an extended session? What I mean is, if you play for half an hour, does this happen constantly? It sounds to me like the game is loading textures into memory. VS has a setting for your memory size. Is that set correctly?

no it starts immediately after i start the game.. and no i havent changed anything.
so i went back and reinstalled privateer remake 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 because ive never encountered this before on those versions and now they do it too... im using the latest video drivers... but im thinking there has got to be some other hardware conflict...

pigsonthewing said:
perhaps its my sound... im using the onboard nvidia nforce chipset on my gigabit mobo...

you should be able to disable your sound on the setup menu... and disable the sound on your motherboard bios. That would at least tell you if it's a sound problem or not.

Tho... I really think it's not a sound issue at all...

Try These settings:

Computer: 1024
Optimized: Display Lists
Sound: All Sound
Video: Extreme Detail
Resolution: 1024x768
PerPixelLighting: Reflective Per Pixel Lighting
Color: 32Bit Color Fullscreen

Basically everything all the way up.

You can also check your Video Card settings in windows. Try turning AA and Anosotropic to OFF (NOT application controlled). and make sure VSYNC is off.

Just a few ideas for ya...

Let me know if you fix the problem!

Back