For tech support regulars

Nappydman

Spaceman
Doesn't it aggravate you when you help all sorts of people out and nobody has the frickin' common courtesy to even say thank you? Don't get me wrong, I like helping people. Otherwise I wouldn't have half of my meager 60-odd posts in the tech forum. And I've been here a full year.

I know there's really no way to hold people accountable. If you make the forum restricted to members, you cut off new fans, (probably pirates, mostly. but then half the people on this forum are pirates anyways) and if you make it wide open, you run into the disgruntlement I have. Given the choice between the two, you always want to open it up. I mean, I would not be typing this now if it was not an open forum. I myself finally joined after lurking forever after I got some good advice on this very tech support forum.

I'm sorry, I guess I'm just a little bitter after a year of answering questions and going completely out of my way to keep people answering, "How can I run KS in XP d00d?" I mean, you know they downloaded it or bought it on ebay from some a-hole who copied it and sold it on. With not one person saying thank you. It's times like this you say screw the internet, I tell you.

Most of us, when we reach that stage of aggravation, just stop answering. After all, it's purely voluntary, and those who are intelligent will search or browse and see it might be answered already. If not, someone else can usually take up the slack.

Some of us will answer, but if there's a good answer already there, we skip to the next question.

I personally don't care that much, if someone says thank you or not. - But most of the time they do anyway. What I do not like that much is if someone doesn't tell that his/her prob is fixed or doesn't reply to pc specs questions or so. OR if they got it fixed themselves and don't say HOW - cause often enough that prob will occure again.

I do not have many answers, but I enjoy giving the ones that I do have. Primarily because, I have in the past received a great deal of free help from kind souls. The lack of thank you´s isn´t a bother ( one gratefull response outweighs all the rest ) the biggest bug is , as THE WUQKED pointed out, the silly ......... who will not follow directions or give feedback.

I don't remember when we started allowing guest posts in Tech Support. About two years ago, maybe. If you care to go back in the archives you probably won't find more thank-yous than you do now. But we did end up with a lot more single-post accounts.

I think it´s a good idea allowing guest posts in Tech Support ( pained butts not withstanding ) since it helps a lot of people get (more) enjoyment out of their WC games and thus is instrumental in ensuring WC worlds´continued existance.

Maybe people get too excited when they get their problem fixed that they start playing the game and forget to come back to say thanks. But the fact that there are always new questions posted to the Tech Forum shows that it works and people trust us.

Look on the bright side, you're helping to spread the joy of Wing Commander to people who couldn't get it working on their own.

Thanks guys. Really. I've been away for a short while, which is why I never replied. Turns out what I really needed was a vacation from the internet. Which I took, for a week. And in real life too. Hopefully, with the power of the north woods behind me, I'll be ready to answer any tech support question!

Really though, thanks everyone.

I've never helped anyone with anything so I don't know the frustration. But I'm certain I've gave a shout out to those helping me. If not, I'd certainly do so now. Especially since I got all that great help getting P2 to work. Thanks fellas!

Back