Flint Remembers..

TCSTigersClaw

Greek Special Forces B' Company "Naoussa" 2007-200
Excuse me if this ,has been discussed before...

I search for an hour now in the Forums , and I cant find anything...
Direct me to any other thread

I was re-playing Wing Commander 3 , (part of my annual Wc1-Wc4 campaign :) )
and something bothered me..

In Locanda Missions ,when you talk to Flint , how can she Remember BEFORE the war ?

Ok , I can accept that her Home system wasnt involved in the war from the beginning , but when she asks Blair , he responds " I try not too (remember before the war) "
Is he lying ?

Good question, I have never heard it asked before.

Technically, Blair was born before the war, in 2630... so he was four years old when it started (and we know he has a few memories of that time... though they aren't especially happy).

From the tone of the conversation with Flint and her description of Locanda when she was young, though, her question doesn't come across as literal--she means 'before the war came to you'--what was it like when Blair was younger and he didn't yet 'know' war?

That was also what I thought,

When she was a child there was no war for her. It didn't exist for her because it didn't bother her. She "entered" war when she left her homeworld. Before that her dad was just a cool guy flying ships and... doing something. Flying. That was "before the war"

That's what she means I guess.

btw:
Military pilots often did that in history: They called it just "flying". Not killing or fighting, but flying.
She tells us she loves to fly. She doesn't even mention the thousands of cats she killed already. So she doesn't only block the past but also the present. Most of them do.
(Iceman isn't in it for the flying but for the killing, though. At least according to Maniac in WC1)

I suppose I've always assumed that there was time between the war being officially announced and the war spreading out to other sectors. We certainly see systems change hands several times and some just remained hotly contested (Repleetah). So to my mind, Locanda may have only been attacked by the Cats years after Confed declared war.

thanks for your answers. :)

I just thought Blair lied. Just to come along with Flint maybe?
If she told her "No I dont remember I ve never tasted peace" , that would drop her morale mayby..

I just thought Blair lied. Just to come along with Flint maybe?
If she told her "No I dont remembered I ve never tasted peace" , that would drop her morale mayby..

That is a funny thought--but I think he probably remembers his childhood happily, regardless of when the war was officially declared. :)

I suppose I've always assumed that there was time between the war being officially announced and the war spreading out to other sectors. We certainly see systems change hands several times and some just remained hotly contested (Repleetah). So to my mind, Locanda may have only been attacked by the Cats years after Confed declared war.

I scanned through the Wing Commander III novel for a few interesting facts about Locanda.

- Twenty years ago (~2649), Locanda was an important star system... but between that time and Wing Commander III, the system's valuable mineral resources have been depleted.

- Blair flew in Locanda at some point in the past (he mentions this in the game too), closer to the 'twenty years ago' than near Wing Commander III, which probably means the Tiger's Claw was there. When Blair was there the system was undergoing an economic depression because a couple of their biggest industries were relocating out-system.

- Locanda is a well known system to humans in Wing Commander--Thrakhath chose it to test the bioweapon specifically because while it wasn't strategically valuable anymore, it was a place people 'know'.

- As of Wing Commander III, Locanda has been 'on or near the front lines for years now, and subjected to repeated raids by the Kilrathi Empire.'

Blair goes into a little rant to Maniac at the bar on Nephele, at the beginning of TPoF:

“You know, Maniac, when I was a kid, space was the place to be. It meant opportunity. The colonies were growing exponentially, the economy was good, and even the war was an exciting thing―fighting aliens for humanity. Now, it's like we've lost something. Space is like everyplace else, just another junkyard.” (37)

Wow , pretty good points :) , I can see now Blair`s point of view...I think I must watch this cutscene with these in mind

p.s. after all these years my english are still terrible :(

- Twenty years ago (~2649), Locanda was an important star system... but between that time and Wing Commander III, the system's valuable mineral resources have been depleted.

- Blair flew in Locanda at some point in the past (he mentions this in the game too), closer to the 'twenty years ago' than near Wing Commander III, which probably means the Tiger's Claw was there. When Blair was there the system was undergoing an economic depression because a couple of their biggest industries were relocating out-system.

These somehow fit with Flint's personality better than I'd've expected. It sounds like Loconda (Planet? Planets? System?) was "strip-mined" by Confed before the jobs left for other systems (Depression from lack of "mineral resources" from mining? Kilrathi incursions making the place to hot to hold?)

Which basically means that Flint grew-up in a "coal-mining town" and the only place to go from there is the "city" (or in this case, space).

(Do we know Rachel's background at all?)

It sounds like Loconda (Planet? Planets? System?) was "strip-mined" by Confed before the jobs left for other systems (Depression from lack of "mineral resources" from mining?

Locanda was a colony world (Locanda IV) with 'a few scattered outposts'.

Which basically means that Flint grew-up in a "coal-mining town" and the only place to go from there is the "city" (or in this case, space).

I think you have the setting right, but not her reason for flying. Remember that 'flying is in my blood'--her brother, father and grandfather were pilots. She was a military brat who came to Locanda as a young girl (which would have been during the planet's 'boom' days), moving there with her family when her father took command of a Home Defense squadron. The dad taught her everything he knew about flying when she was young... that's where that impulse came from.

(Do we know Rachel's background at all?)

Yup--similar military connection, but much more of a lower class girl makes good story. She was born on a TCSN base, third of five children (only girl) of a Navy MP and a nightclub singer/former showgirl. She did extremely well with science and math in school, graduated with a undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering. She went on to grad school through an NROTC program, but dropped out her junior year and enlisted instead. Went on to be the youngst flight deck Chief on a Confederation carrier as of her assignment to the Victory.

Back