Fleet Action placement Attn: LOAF

Attn: LOAF Fleet Action placement

Fleet Action placement

LOAF
Back at Dragon Con we were talking about the placement of Fleet Action and I’ve finally had a chance to sit down and review what we have.

--What we know--
x.293 Sivar-Eshrad
p.119 states that there are 64 days till Sivar-Eshrad
The Emperor says they should make it in time for Sivar-Eshrad p.215
[I just found yesterday]
When the Baron is given his mission by the Prince to destroy Earth the Baron say the Emperor wants Earth for the “next” Sivar. I forget the page sorry but I can get it if you need it.

Now we’ve both counted the days in the book and know that there are 75 days after the statement on p.119 that there are 64 days left. Now that I’ve found the new quote at the end about the “next” Sivar it seems to imply that they know they weren’t going to make it in time for that Sivar so right now I’m thinking that 2669.304 should be the end.

The only other date I know of is the reference that the earth was bombed on “Sun Year 5154.152” in Armada VOW which would be day 106 and that doesn’t work with anything. But then VOW had a several screw up in it timeline wise.

Do you have any other references to add to this? What do you think?

Thanks
Shades

That doesn’t fit with anything I’ve seen but there has been a lot of date batted around and that’s why LOAF and I were trying to nail it down. What did you base that on?

Shades2585 said:
That doesn’t fit with anything I’ve seen but there has been a lot of date batted around and that’s why LOAF and I were trying to nail it down. What did you base that on?
LOAF's timeline. Then the timeline changed :p.

In our defence, Dec-Jan works just as well as any other date, because none of these dates are backed up by anything. I mean, your current estimate is based on the notion that the annual Sivar-Eshrad ceremony takes place every 365 days (...which is nonsense, unless the Kilrathi have a 365-day year too, by some uncanny coincidence).

(of course, far more important than such details is the fact that when the timeline changed, we'd already written and recorded the scenes for episode 3, and Christmas featured fairly prominently - so changing the date would've required a total rewrite)

Quarto said:
LOAF's timeline. Then the timeline changed :p.

... your current estimate is based on the notion that the annual Sivar-Eshrad ceremony takes place every 365 days (...which is nonsense, unless the Kilrathi have a 365-day year too, by some uncanny coincidence).

That’s true and logically I would think that they would have a different number of days. But by using the base eight system on both their years and day comes out pretty darn close if not exact to ours. I think the Origin people decided to keep it easy. I think LOAF and I finally came to that conclusion which does make thing easier for us to try to nail down the dates. (If you consider rereading books umpteen time to find two or three vague references to use to set a time is easy.):p

Howdy!
After we spoke I did the same thing. I posted a thread on the subject here: http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=19119

Looks like we're getting pretty close - I had .306 as the end of the book. There's a .doc file there that goes through all my logic chapter by chapter... maybe you can tell what we're doing differently?

I mean, your current estimate is based on the notion that the annual Sivar-Eshrad ceremony takes place every 365 days (...which is nonsense, unless the Kilrathi have a 365-day year too, by some uncanny coincidence).

That one isn't an assumption -- it's one of the 'annual dates' on the Kilrathi Saga calendar. I don't think it's completely unreasonable... after all, planets where live develops should all have very similar orbital periods.

(Now, as for why they both started measuring time from the same year...)

Thanks LOAF I’ll print that out and mine and see where we’re different. We always seem to be a few days off for some reason.

I didn’t even know you posted this. I thought you had my email you should have sent it to me.

Anyway I have to find it again but I edited the FA book you gave me in Word and added all the proper page brakes now so when I look at it I know which page it is in the paper book. I’ll send it to you when I find it again. Maybe I’ll see if I can rip it to PDF as well.

Bandit LOAF said:
(Now, as for why they both started measuring time from the same year...)
I didn’t take the years that far back. They started the same year too??? l-o-l That’s bad.

LOAF

At a quick glance we both have 126 days from Munro to the battle at earth.
However from the point in each of our timelines where the books says 64 days till Sivar you have 77 days till the end of the war and I have 75 days. Apparently I found two days before that statement that you didn’t and you found two days after that statement that I didn’t. This explains our two day discrepancy for the end of the war. I think the two days you missed was FA p.72 “Tolwyn spends two days recruiting people.” I’m still looking for the two day I missed.

Doesn't Kilrah have both a smaller sun (class K vs, Sol's class G), as well as being on average slightly hotter than Earth? That would give it a shorter year.

Bandit LOAF said:
That one isn't an assumption -- it's one of the 'annual dates' on the Kilrathi Saga calendar. I don't think it's completely unreasonable... after all, planets where live develops should all have very similar orbital periods.

Some random guy migh say that's "carbon chauvinism", but I agree with LOAF on this one. Besies, the Kilrathi are quite similar to us on other aspects, including breathable atmosphere and temperature, so the planet should have a similar orbit.

However, it's possible to replicate our basic conditions with a different orbit around the star, and, besides, it's also possible that a culture might count time differently.

What is, of course, irrelevant, because we already know the Kilrathi do use the one year period.

Bandit LOAF said:
Hmm. I don't, unfortunately, have my KSaga calendar with me at the moment, but IIRC, doesn't it also specify "2655" under that date? Of course, that could just be my faulty memory... if it does, however, then it's no more an annual date than Hobbes' birthday or the declaration of war.

Delance said:
Some random guy migh say that's "carbon chauvinism", but I agree with LOAF on this one.
Pah, you're nothin' but a racist, chauvinist carbon fool!

Hmm. I don't, unfortunately, have my KSaga calendar with me at the moment, but IIRC, doesn't it also specify "2655" under that date? Of course, that could just be my faulty memory... if it does, however, then it's no more an annual date than Hobbes' birthday or the declaration of war.

It doesn't. I assumed it did as well for quite a while, but it's only the events that surround it that do -- marines landing, Hobbes surrendering, etc. all say 2655, while the ceremony itself does not.

Back