Flat Universe Multiplayer Alpha Now Multiplatform (September 9, 2017)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
The Flat Universe team has been hard at work these past few weeks debugging the multiplayer alpha of their fan game, and they can finally say "FU" to the glitches that have nagged the Mac and Linux editions of the game. Everyone will need to re-download now, but future editions should be patchable with the new auto updater. Give it a try and let the Maslas Brothers know what you think!

The wait is over guys :). Please, uninstall any version of FlatUniverse you might have and download again you platform specific installer from the already known url: http://www.maslasbros.com/flatuniverse/register

The version of the installer is totally new, updated and debugged. It is mandatory to download it again. We gonna be online for some times until midnight for today.

We are very sorry for the exhausting delays and the postpones but we do want FlatUniverse to be a quality fan project. ;)
We are very excited for this development journey and we are eager to see you inside our reticle!

the MaslasBros

--
Original update published on September 9, 2017

Last edited by a moderator:
Something weird going on.. installed and update it, it works fine. Played it once and when I restart it I get the following error:
fu_error.jpg

Uninstall the game, reinstall and update it, it works fine again, start it for the second time.. the error comes back.

Something weird going on.. installed and update it, it works fine. Played it once and when I restart it I get the following error:
View attachment 9321
Uninstall the game, reinstall and update it, it works fine again, start it for the second time.. the error comes back.

Seems like the fix it to set the compatability mode to win8 on both the launcher and game exe. I had the same issue.

Seems like the fix it to set the compatability mode to win8 on both the launcher and game exe. I had the same issue.
Almost, I had to turn on High DPI override and Run as Administrator as well before it picked up. In the previous version I just had the compatibility troubleshooter autodetect it as a Win8 compatibility and do it for me. Also then the game would not run at all, and not just once as with the current release..
But setting to Win7, Run as Admin and DPI override did do the trick.

Almost, I had to turn on High DPI override and Run as Administrator as well before it picked up. In the previous version I just had the compatibility troubleshooter autodetect it as a Win8 compatibility and do it for me. Also then the game would not run at all, and not just once as with the current release..
But setting to Win7, Run as Admin and DPI override did do the trick.

Hey Mace,
Makes me wonder. I haven't managed to replicate this problem in-house yet! I am still on the search. If you want and you have the time take the following steps:

a. Uninstall FlatUniverse.
b. For the 32bit installation delete the folder c:\program files(x86)\MaslasBros, for the 64bit installation delete the folder c:\program files\MaslasBros. And the users cache folder c:\Users\"your user name"\AppData\Roaming\MaslasBros if it exists.
c. Reinstall FlatUniveres by right clicking on the installer as administrator.
d. Play FlatUniverse and report back to me.

Meanwhile I'll check again on my Win10 box what is going wrong and if it affects only the players who had an installation of the early version of Fulg.

Hey Mace,
Makes me wonder. I haven't managed to replicate this problem in-house yet! I am still on the search. If you want and you have the time take the following steps:

a. Uninstall FlatUniverse.
b. For the 32bit installation delete the folder c:\program files(x86)\MaslasBros, for the 64bit installation delete the folder c:\program files\MaslasBros. And the users cache folder c:\Users\"your user name"\AppData\Roaming\MaslasBros if it exists.
c. Reinstall FlatUniveres by right clicking on the installer as administrator.
d. Play FlatUniverse and report back to me.

Meanwhile I'll check again on my Win10 box what is going wrong and if it affects only the players who had an installation of the early version of Fulg.
This worked, when I reinstalled the game as administrator, it automatically sets the both the shortcut and the executable to run as administrator..
As an experiment I then removed the "run this program as administrator"-flag on the compatibility tab, and the error came back up again, flagged it back again and the game worked.

The account I use is member of the local administrators group on the machine, wich is not thesame as the actual TRUE local administrator account, granted, but from my perspective as a systems and network administrator I would not be happy with any application actually using the local administrator account for any application because of security issues(yes, this is a game played on private computers, i know, but still), but AFAIK most programmers also try to avoid this situation as much as possible.

Edit: I also noticeded that the game does not check if it's already running when you start it, that might be something to look into...

Last edited:
This worked, when I reinstalled the game as administrator, it automatically sets the both the shortcut and the executable to run as administrator..
As an experiment I then removed the "run this program as administrator"-flag on the compatibility tab, and the error came back up again, flagged it back again and the game worked.

The account I use is member of the local administrators group on the machine, wich is not thesame as the actual TRUE local administrator account, granted, but from my perspective as a systems and network administrator I would not be happy with any application actually using the local administrator account for any application because of security issues(yes, this is a game played on private computers, i know, but still), but AFAIK most programmers also try to avoid this situation as much as possible.

Edit: I also noticeded that the game does not check if it's already running when you start it, that might be something to look into...

Thanks for the research Mace,

I'll give the option to the installer of FULG to select if you want to install single user or multi user. Therefore, if the user will select during the installation wizard the multi user option he will have to start FlatUniverse as administrator. This is only mandatory if the Windows UAC settings are set to the default.
I hate UAC.

Thanks again,

Maslas

What are the server requirements for FU? I have a VPS running in a german datacentre(strato) that does pretty much nothing apart from playing VPN hub for multiplayer gaming in the weekends...

What are the server requirements for FU? I have a VPS running in a german datacentre(strato) that does pretty much nothing apart from playing VPN hub for multiplayer gaming in the weekends...
They are not very high. Something like a 1 GHz CPU and 512MB free memory for the full load of the server. If you can accommodate these specs we will be more than happy to have a European server up and running :)

Just send me a PM or email at care2play@maslasbros.com to work out the details.

Thanks for the offer Mace!

You too have mail!
Hi, I tried to awnser to your reply with login credentials but delivery keeps failing and the mail gets stuck in my outbox, while others are being sent out just fine(related to microsoft azure issues in northern Europe it seems).. Can you PM me another e-mail adress to send my reply to?

Last edited:
Back