Fired up the oldies again

Crowley

Rear Admiral
After a long time I started playing the first two Wing Commanders, though by now I'm only the first Secret Missions. Thank the deity of your choosing for DOSBox. There are a couple of things that puzzle me. First, who do they say that the Jalthi have six forward-mounted lasers, when in reality two of those are neutron blasters? Secondly, there's a nasty bug that comes up rather rarely. Sometimes when a ship is just about to leave the radar range, it explodes for no apparent reason. So far this has happened at least two times: first was when I told Spirit to return to the 'Claw in the very first mission. Second was in SM1 in the mission where I was supposed to cover the two Draymans carrying Reavers. When I approached them and tried to use autopilot, only one of them followed, and the other one spontaneously combusted when it got too far away.

Still, it's been damn fun. Especially the Gwenhyvar mission. Got my ship shot half to hell. By the time I docked I had lost both neutron blasters. Of course that only makes victory so much sweeter. I'm really looking forward to taking care of four Jalthi and three Fralthi in a Hornet at the beginning of SM2.

Strange, the enemy fighters are supposed to explode when you reach the Claw... but not the allied ones!

the first missions of each SM are HELLISH... Halcyon was not the same man, ehehehe

Valgard 2 is a pain... I tell Iceman to stay on my wing so I can get a max number of kills, but the result is he hammers himself to death against the Claw when I fly close by... Maybe I should let him rip for a change.

Whee, destroyed everything in my path in Hornets at the start of Crusade. I wonder why some of the stuff said in the game contradicts reality. Iceman keeps telling me to use missiles on big targets, but that's never necessary! You can just park behind a Fralthi in a Hornet and nibble the armor away with lasers. I guess the designers noticed that too and that's why they added the phase shields and torpedoes in WC2.

my fav thing in wc2 and privateer is busting corvettes its a sad turkey shoot in 2 and actually hard in privateer it took me by suprise. How do ya get armada to run in dos box mine never gets past the intializing ems part

You must set EMS to FALSE and type "loadfix" (sans the quotes) in the prompt before running the game. I got to play several turns, but didn't get to actually try flight. I shoudl test the skirmish...

Back