Favorite Wingman?

NapoleanAce said:
The Nephilim don't take prisoners...

Wow, yes they take, they took Blair and some others pilots from the Midway.
Even more, when you eject sometime a Devil Ray tractors your pod.

True enough--a fate worse than death...

I don't think anyone aboard the Midway would be optimistic enough to assume a captured pilot was merely MIA.

Like Maniac said

NapoleanAce said:
You're probably thinking about their on-ship, cinematic characters. Stingray and Jazz always had some smart, confrontational remarks on the ship, but on your wing they always obeyed orders (at least on my WC2!?). Spirit and Angel would obey any attack command, but tell em to back off and all you'd hear is "No Captain!" and "No! I cannot!" (respectively.)
No, I was thinking about them as pilots. That's really weird because what you just said is back to front for me.

The only possible explanation would be different WC versions.

For example, many players mention that the Retros at the end of Righteous Fire are all armed with Steltek guns, but in my version they all have Fusion cannons.

who knows..............

My fave wingman is anyone I can lay down covering fire for and is smart enough to take advantage and rack up the kills. But specific faves, in game order...

WC1: Anyone. They were all good. But maybe I could live without Maniac. And the two extra pilots in Secret Missions? Nah, don't have time to break in recruits. Have Kilrathi to fight.
WC2: Spirit. I always did like her, but one thing I noticed is how she sounds Japanese. I hear a lot of people try and imitate a Japanese voice, but this is one of the few that I find succeed.
WC3: My shadow. But basically anyone is a big help. Whoever I haven't flown with much really.
WC4: Panther. She's real cool.
WCP: Haven't played, but I really am struck by Stiletto.

I prefer Paladin. A damned good wingman, that always gets out when you tell, letting you get more kills if you want.

Mmmm . . Stiletto . . . I didn't really have much of an opinion about the character. I just wanted to bang the actress who played her. Oh, man, the hotness!

NapoleanAce said:
For example, many players mention that the Retros at the end of Righteous Fire are all armed with Steltek guns, but in my version they all have Fusion cannons.
They're supposed to be the Retros' mass-produced version of the Steltek gun. RF was only an add-on, so the developers had to use what little resources was available (eg limited gun 'slots').

So they recycled the Fusion cannon sprites and the tractor beam sound for the Retros' Steltek guns in Eden system.

Yeah, I noticed the tractor beam sound at Gaea.

But I don't see why recycling would have been necessary, since the add-on accesses numerous objects from P1. After I beat RF the first time I played around with my hex editor and changed my Centurion's guns to Steltek (08 for the unboosted version found on the derelict, 09 for the boosted version) and they showed up just fine, so we can't even assume that the object doesn't exist in RF. (The guns did very little damage though.)

Guess we'll never know...too bad; I would have relished the challenge of fighting hoardes of Steltek-gun-totin' Salthi & Talons...

Hmmm... are you sure about that, Wedge? I haven't played the CD version of Righteous Fire -- but I'm absolutely sure that the Salthi in the disk version actually had the green gun (well, some of them -- many didn't).

(It can't be a sprite issue, since you can import your green gun back into RF and it works fine...)

I always sent wingmen home in WC 1 and 2 (yeah, I know, it defeats the "Wing Commander" idea, but I wanted all the kills!), but if I hadta pick, I'd say Spirit for both of those games. 'least she listens to you. For WC-3 and 4, Vagabond all the way. I love that guy.

overmortal said:
In WCP, they actually helped out some, when in large enough numbers. Sadly, they also had a habit of dying a lot. Shame. I always disliked that because they had actual wingmen, not just a "piranha" flying around. And all your wingmen had different voices/personalities. And, when they died, their name was relisted on the flight roster as "kia". And you couldn't send them home if you knew they wouldn't last. That bugged me. But, they usually did a good job of keeping morays off my back when I was in a shrike. That helps!

You could actually command them to 'break off your engagements and return to base" in Prophecy by targeting the specific person and pressing Alt+R. Chances are they won't listen unless their core is yellow/red, but it has worked a few times.

I hated when people died, I get attached to the personalities.

My favorite wingman in WC1 was anyone but Maniac and Spirit. Maniac wouldn't listen and Spirit would blast my rear shields and armor to nothing. I like the whole Secret Ops crew except for Amazon, she doesn't really add much to the group. Maestro, Zero and Spyder have some good stuff. I like to continuously telling my wing to break and attack in Prophecy when Maestro in on Wing in hopes he would say his 'charge' line.

I don't know about everyone else, but I didn't feel like I had as much control of my wing in WCP as in earlier WCs. I've played the entire game without once telling my wing to break-and-attack; they always advance once the enemy is sighted. In the other WC games, if I didn't give the command they'd constantly harass me with comms like "Permission to attack, sir?" and perhaps eventually get sucked into the battle.

In Prophecy I did like the fact that it's not just you and your lone wingman against the entire damned enemy fleet--made space warfare feel more realistic.

WC4, did anyone ever use the NPC Wingman Yaeger?

A VERY good UBW pilot. He did very well. Had good com messages, and I actually had to compete for kills. Which was entertaining.

I never could get them to RTB. Thanx!

That's why I laughed when Spirit died. Served her right. I also killed paladin once because he did that to me.

Yaeger was good. Primate was the best. Primate had 'em all beat.

Yes, it felt much more realistic to have four-to-eight ships present on any given strike mission. Made it much more manageable, and much more . . . free-spirited . . sorta. You knew your role, and you just went and did it. It never felt official, and you never knew exactly what was happening unless you stopped to look, and, if you took time to do that, you were dead.

I like Seether too. He was evil. Cold. And he worked for Tolwyn, who I also thought was cool.
Yaeger and Seether.

I liked Yaeger's "Time to party!" and Seether's "Stop bothering me.". I was tired of everyone worshiping me as the Heart of the Tiger.

Bandit LOAF said:
Hmmm... are you sure about that, Wedge? I haven't played the CD version of Righteous Fire -- but I'm absolutely sure that the Salthi in the disk version actually had the green gun (well, some of them -- many didn't).

(It can't be a sprite issue, since you can import your green gun back into RF and it works fine...)
Yeah, quite sure. I remember bringing the low-powered Steltek gun to RF now, but the Salthi in Gaea definitely have fusion cannon sprites. :confused:

Back