Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Broadsword

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Crossbow

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Morningstar

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters
Actually no, it makes me have less respect for the Kilrathi. They had the numbers, Terrans had a slight edge in technology, and that edge was quickly lost to innovations like 'rock' ships, skippers and Hakagas.

I like the Sabre as well, but I'm not sure if I'd prefer it over a Raptor, which is why I don't like choosing a favourite fighter from more than one game.

The Morningstar wasn't too bad. I don't use fighter-to-fighter missiles very often, so it's small missile load-out didn't bother me. The shielding is actually quite strong on the Morningstar - or at least seems that way to me, and has a decent recharge rate, IIRC.

My fav wc2 ship was the Ferret. I'd have taken on Thrakhath's bloodfang in a ferret and KICKED HIS ASS! You don't fuck with me in a Ferret. I'm deadly! . . . unless you're in an Arrow, in which case, you may indeed take me.

The Kilrathi did indeed have an advantage in numbers. In WC1-3 (and 4 to some extent), you and your lone wingman were expected to fly through waypoint after waypoint, each filled with dozens upon dozens of fighters and capships.

IMHO the Sabre has several significant advantages over the Raptor. It replaced the energy-hogging, low range neutron guns with particle cannons, added extra missiles/torpedoes, and had a turret and tractor beam. In fact the only thing the Raptor had that the Sabre didn't was a Porcupine. Not much of an up side to me...

Sabres always blew up too quickly for me. Raptor didn't do that. The raptor just took more of a beating. I'd take wave after wave of dralthis, krants, and grathas in a raptor. By the time they figured out to send in the Jalthis, I was out of afterburner fuel, so I went home (unless I still hadn't been touched. In which case, those jalthis still didn't stand much of a chance)

IMHO the Kilrathi ships in WC2 had stronger firepower than in WC1. The Dralthi, Salthi, and Krant were a majority of the foes you faced, and they all had a measley two laser cannons, whereas WC2 Kilrathi fighters packed a helluva punch. Furthermore, the capships didn't pose a viable threat at all, especially in comparison to WC2/SO1/SO2 vessels that were armed with those pesky anti-matter cannons. So this could be why it seemed the Raptor didn't blow up as quickly.

If you wanna go on shield stats, the Sabre's numbers are 10/10/16/16/11, as opposed to the Raptor's 7/7/8/8/6.

All I know is it blew out from under me a lot quicker . . and I usually died in 'em. I hated Sabre's for a long time, and even once wrote a story for a class in highschool. The story was titled "The Unstable Sabre", about me and wingman flying out on a mission, and as soon as my wingman fired his guns, his Sabre blew up. So, when I went to tractor him in (because he ejected), his ejection pod bumped into the side of my Sabre and mine blew up. We ended up getting picked up my SAR and got our butts chewed out for losing our ships.

That's a pretty funny story, OM. And I do agree that Sabres feel a little lightly protected for their status as a 'heavy' fighter. But I still like it.

Oh, and I still find it funny that people run out of AB fuel. I guess I seldom use ABs.

One more thing. Unless you think you're a bishop, please don't talk about ordinance. Missiles, etc, are ordnance. No 'i'. ;)

Wedge009 said:
One more thing. Unless you think you're a bishop, please don't talk about ordinance. Missiles, etc, are ordnance. No 'i'. ;)

Oh LOL
Your fine sense of humor!!!

My fav fighter is the Morningstar. I liked it's shields and weaponry, and simply LOVED the Mace.
First time i finished WC II, i didn't used any missiles or burner. I only learned about 'burners after 5 months of finishing the game, when i also discovered how to fire missiles :)
Until then i always used the old "press all buttons" console tactic :)

According to the numbers used in the game (not in the manual), the Sabre's shields are only two-thirds as thick as the WC2 Rapier II's shields (although they recharge faster). The Sabre has 80 shields, compared to 60 for the Epee and 115 for the Rapier II. Shields one-third stronger than the tissue-paper Epee does not strike me as appropriate for a "heavy fighter-bomber". My guess is that the programmers decided that the Sabre would be too powerful without a handicap. Seriously, though, I think the Sabre should have shields the same as the Rapier II.

I think I'd have rather taken on most of those enemies in an Epee armed with a torp. Or, better yet, a Ferret. Give me four torps on a Ferret (which is impossible, I know) and I'd have wasted any one ship you sent me against. Ralatha? Toast. K'Titherak Mang? Fuck fodder. Kilrah? Piss gone down the drain. Ferrets rule!

Y'know, the only reason why Ferrets are so fast and manoeuvrable is because they're light. If you somehow managed to strap four torpedoes to a Ferret, you'd surely be weighed down by the extra equipment needed to fire them properly.

It's called gameplay balance.

Additionally...
WC2 Manual said:
...you must fly mostly straight towards the target—any significant deviation will break the lock, forcing you to start all over again. (For this reason, only turret-equipped ships, the Sabre and Broadsword, carry torpedoes, even though any of the other fighters could theoretically handle the missiles.)

In WC2 I often had problems with my torpedo grazing me every time I fired on a capship. It did its intended damage, but I'd lose a lot of armor in the process. If I was flying a weaker ship like a Ferret or Epee, I'd surely have been toast.

BTW, I do recall Epees being strapped with a single torpedo--the Stingray/Rapier mission after Blair and Angel got together...

Back