Family Guy - Innocent or Guilty

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELTEE

Vice Admiral
Instead of ruining another thread, I thought I would bring this subject to the off-topic zone and see what other members think of the show.

It fascinates some! Disgusts others! Elicits laughs, smirks, and of course the word "dude!" positively, and "dude??!" negatively.

So let's hear it! LeHah, I'm particularly interested in your point of view here. I have heard over the years of many who dislike the show, but I'm not sure I've encountered such an obviously strong opinion. Curiosity, it seems, is getting the better of me (that and it's a REALLY slow day at work...) :p

ehh it's not a bad show really... a funny cartoon although I usually change the channel if it becomes too silly kinda like the simpsons when it gets too silly I change it too but good for laughs that's for sure

It's a slow day at work, here, too -- and it's Wednesday! New comic book day!

But I digress -- I do, generally, agree with LeHah. Family Guy started its life as a fun, stupid show. It was clearly a cheaper knock-off of The Simpsons that was simultaneously dumber than and disrespectful of its source material. Despite that it was entertaining, though, and that's really just about everything you can ask for from a cartoon.

After it was cancelled it became a 'cult hit' on college campuses and jerk farms all over -- people repeating the same ten jokes over and over and over until you wanted to strangle them. I wouldn't condemn the actual show for that... I enjoyed those ten jokes too, once.

... but then it came back in the worst possible way. The new episodes weren't original, they were self-referential. Hahaha, remember how funny it was that we did X? You bought a talking bottle opener themed after it! So here it is again, fifty more times! Peter suddenly fighting a chicken was funny... ONCE. The monkey in the closet was funny... ONCE. The vaudeville guys were funny... ONCE. Etc., etc.

Suddenly, a giant chicken leaps from the shadows and attacks LOAF while he speaks!

It is comedy.

I enjoy family guy. But, I also have the sense of humor that thoroughly enjoys running gags, and things that are done to the point of utter stupidity.

Oh, and, do a barrel roll.

I've only seen one episode, and wasn't impressed. I'm told by fans of the show that because it was one of the first episodes, I can't use it to judge the entire series because of how much it has improved over time. Maybe someday I'll catch another one.

I loved the show at one time, still like the older episodes. Once it came back it wasn't as funny granted it does make me laugh time to time but the newer episodes are just stale, trying to be political and many other things that aren't funny anymore or ever where. I still will watch new episodes to give them a chance but only on Adult Swim.

If you laugh at Popular Culture references long enough, you forget that theres no punchline to a reference. Its not even an anctedote, since that requires some form of creativity. Family Guy just takes what terrible people laugh at on the internet and puts it on TV. The writers put in nothing original, and the audience reacts to nothing original. Thats not funny, thats lazy.

The show is certainly the highwater mark for the socially handicapped and the talented retarded.

Interesting - on this basis, I should be able to park in the special spaces near the entrance to the grocery store. Somehow, I don't think I'll qualify for the special plates.

I think it is possible to over-analyze a show to the point where attempting to classify it so critically completely fails to recognize the simple fact that a show of this magnitude exists for one thing - quick laughs. Furthermore, trying to lump together everyone who enjoys a particular show by inferring they're socially retarded is equally invalid.

Trying to expect more or less from this formula is irrelevant. People from all education levels, all walks of life enjoy the format. The fact is, it makes some people laugh, and fails to do so for others. I know that participating in this scenario doesn't make me socially retarded. I may not be a whole lot smarter for having watched an episode, but I'm sure not any dumber!

In defence of the hyperbole, those parking spaces are for people who are *physically* handicapped.

:eek:

I wish I had known that 12 hours ago. I wouldn't have received all of the evil stares at the DMV. I just kept responding "what? Why are you all looking at me like that? What do you mean I'm a horrible person and will burn in hell? Why?!" :D

:eek:

I wish I had known that 12 hours ago. I wouldn't have received all of the evil stares at the DMV. I just kept responding "what? Why are you all looking at me like that? What do you mean I'm a horrible person and will burn in hell? Why?!" :D

I lul'd. win.

Furthermore, trying to lump together everyone who enjoys a particular show by inferring they're socially retarded is equally invalid.

Equally invalid? More like equally invalid.

Not a bad show...not great either. Though I've only seen the first 2 seasons I get a laugh at Stewie trying to kill his mother. Kind of wish my son was like that. :D

I shouldn't admit this - but I had to look that up. I wasn't quite sure what it was - I thought I knew, and it turned out my guess was right, but still. How sad is that?

I suppose I would lose that scrabble game in the commercials now, where everyone is using "text lingo"...:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back