Explosive New Poll Asks About Torpedoes (July 18, 2009)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
It's time for a new poll! What game featured your favorite torpedo runs? Broadly defined, virtually all Wing Commander games feature capship strikes with heavy ordnance, and almost all include weapons specifically called 'torpedoes' - both guided and unguided. For this reason you'll find WC1 in the options. If you really liked lobbing Dumbfires at the Starpost, that one's for you. Otherwise, was your favorite the first tense Broadsword run in WC2? Dropping the bomb directly on the flight deck of a carrier in WC3? Or maybe defanging the massive battlecruisers in Wing Commander Arena?

Our previous poll produced a clear winner. Righteous Fire had the most popular intro among various Wing Commander expansion packs. It's not a surprise to see that one come out on top, but Proving Grounds' 3.5% tally is quite impressive.

Which Wing Commander expansion had your favorite introduction?

Secret Missions 1
16.23%
orangeblock.gif

Secret Missions 2
7.58%
orangeblock.gif

Special Operations 1
12.87%
orangeblock.gif

Special Operations 2
20.46%
orangeblock.gif

Righteous Fire
39.33%
orangeblock.gif

Proving Grounds
3.53%
orangeblock.gif

Ended on July 18, 2009 | 567 votes

--
Original update published on July 18, 2009

Last edited by a moderator:
the wait to get a lock, the music, the rush to get in and make the connection... Wc2 baby! besides.... Ive got a thing for the broadsword... and the sabre. morningstar.. crossbow...

WC2 indeed! All those red flak puffs going off around you, the shields losing power, armor getting peeled off...even the possibility that the flak intercepts your torpedo and makes you go around for another pass! That was danger you could taste on an EGA monitor, and made it even better when I got my first SoundBlaster card and installed the speech pack!

I knew it was a game, of course, but it left me jittery at times. Loved it.

In the end I voted for WC 2 as well but it wasn't as easy a choice as I thought. Priv2 and Armada both featured dangerous capships so the torpedo runs were exciting as well, at least at a first glance. But since the torpedo run ended in Armada as soon as you launched it you didn't have to worry too much into the future to be really great. And my Priv2 memory is just too fuzzy...

Torpedo runs in Armada are pretty intense. The flak just seems extra nasty there.

I also had to cast my vote for WC2. There is just something amazing about getting the torp off after a tough run in.

I have to agree that it's WC2 all the way. Taking out a cap ship really felt like an accomplishment.

Back