"Exciting remasters"

One can always dream.

Maybe they're aware your WCIV remaster and will swoop in and ask you to do WC3 as well 😎

As a community we're doing a pretty good job of remasters ourselves.

There's the promising WC1 sprite improvement pack, the potential of a WC1/WC2 remaster from @Howard Day using the RG:O engine, not to mention your slick looking WCIV and @DefianceIndustries working wonders with Prophecy and Secret Ops.

Given how much interest there has been in improving and remastering these games after 20 odd years, it wouldn't surprise me if EA did something with Wing Commander again soon. I'd welcome it, I'd be terrified of them screwing up the lore, but it'd be exciting.

Sorry, not interested. Fan remasters - great. But as for official remasters - that train has long left the station. The world has shifted too much, and EA has shifted too much. Not in the sense of "I HATE EA BECAUSE LOOT BOXES" and all that jazz, but in the sense that there is no one left at EA who would a) understand Wing Commander, b) care about "getting it right", and c) have enough status to actually force the game through in that spirit.

I'd much rather see Wing Commander remain a dead franchise, than for it to become a zombie franchise like Command & Conquer, continually getting new products, yet increasingly distant from the original spirit.

Until C&C4 I was very much enjoying their revival of Command and Conquer. The development of that title was troubled by the then current obsession with free to play. So I would say their loot box obsession does worry me.

There may be no one there involved with the original games, but I bet there are a few visitors of wcnews skulking round their halls. Besides which EA is open to getting external studios to develop their titles - and if you wanted to make your argument there is your better example, not C&C which has hit and miss with equal measure but the abomination that was the syndicate remake (which didn't really share the tone and definitely did not share the gameplay of its namesake). But at the same time if that studio was the RGO team I'd be pretty excited.

I might or might not care about a remake; it would massively depend on circumstances.

Last edited:
The newest C&C Remake, remaster...whaterver...seams to be more true to the originals. From what I have heard so far they are updateing the graphics and sounds, add some compfort mechanics but let everything else as is.
That sounds good to me.

I agree.
From what I can see, I think the remaster team puts a whole lot of effort into this project. In the latest teaser, they (almost) perfectly nailed the look and feel of the original while adding a whole lot of details.
For once, it looks like EA is doing things right. I especially applaud their decision to work with Petroglyph, which was founded by former Westwood employees who worked on the early C&C titles. I for one couldn't believe it when I read the news about a year ago.

I am a bit late to this one, but RGO has that Wing Commander feel. I'd feel comfortable as a fan trusting Howard with it if he and his team were contracted to create a remaster of WIng 1 and 2 by EA. If it was EA internally I'd share Quarto's concerns, but it'd be out of our control.

I am a bit late to this one, but RGO has that Wing Commander feel. I'd feel comfortable as a fan trusting Howard with it if he and his team were contracted to create a remaster of WIng 1 and 2 by EA. If it was EA internally I'd share Quarto's concerns, but it'd be out of our control.

That would be the ideal, although just to throw it out there the Star Wars VR space combat section was superb. There are clearly some space combat fans at the new Criterion.

Back