EULA for GoG EA releases gives consent to data mining

Was that a Lexx reference?

Also seriously DaveO, the best they can get is that you downloaded that game, and that's assuming that GOG let them have that information.

I can see it now
step 1 gather nonsensical data through legal data mining
step 2 lockup random people suspected of terrorist activities for searching about fast breeding nuclear reactors and diesel fuel and fertilizer
step 3 destroy all the other guys horcruxes... woops wrong plot
step 3 profit

I am among the minority of people who actually read EULAs, and there's also a lot of games i didn't buy because of the DRM involved.
But i don't think an 18year old game has ANY data to collect that would be interesting for EA in the slightest. Maybe sales figures, but that's something we can only profit from as already mentioned.
The game is really just too old to justify employing a marketing division for it, it's just an easy way for EA to make a little more money without actually having to invest too much.
What i find interesting is that a few years back you were asked if you wanted to send this information, now it seems mandatory. Does that mean it was well recepted by customers or not?
I probably won't buy the GoG version, but only because my old copies work just fine. I also have bought enough copies to feel like i have done my part to support the game.

I haven't got round to buying a copy of Priv on GoG yet, I will do though, despite the EULA and despite the fact that I have 3 copies in my flat already; and another 2 at my parents house. The point is that EA use a standard EULA, their data mining applies to CnC4 and COD etc, the games that we've been palying for ages. They're not going to put new stuff into priv, i very much doubt they will even bother to keep things like the joystick patch online.

On the other hand, I hope EA's marketing ARE looking at privateer on GoG, and I hope that they see people buying it by the dozen - because, and this is important - without people supporting these re-releases, there is no chance that EA will support a future release. So, even if you never install it, please buy it anyway.

On the other hand, I hope EA's marketing ARE looking at privateer on GoG, and I hope that they see people buying it by the dozen - because, and this is important - without people supporting these re-releases, there is no chance that EA will support a future release. So, even if you never install it, please buy it anyway.

It's safe to say they are. I think the only thing that took them so long was the licensing nightmare that is backlogged games. Starting off with Privateer and Crusader is a good sign that if nothing else we're going to see the whole Origin backlog re-released someday.

its climbing right up the list on gog's 'bestsellers'

it's half way up the entire catalog two weeks into it's listing there..

ultima underworld is 8th from the bottom.. and dungeon keeper is dead last.

Yeah, just stuck an update in Newsie about that--this is the first sales figures update we've seen.

Alpha Centauri and Crusader are both doing VERY well as well, as they've been in release for only half as much time as Privateer:

146 - Wing Commander: Privateer
172 - Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
204 - Crusader: No Remorse
284 - Ultima Underworld 1+2
290 - Dungeon Keeper

An incomplete list of things to do or not to do if you're worried about your personal data getting data mined:

1). Get rid of your cell phone
2). Cancel all credit cards
3). Stop using debit cards.
5). Cancel any Twitter, Facebook, or other social networking accounts
8). Cancel your home internet access
12). Never Google anything
15). Only buy airline tickets from agents, and pay cash
34). Don't use e-mail
42). Don't borrow any books from libraries
52). Don't use banks. Keep all your money as cash in your mattress.
76). Don't post anything on an online message board (including the CIC)
104). Don't drive any care made after 1995
187). Stay off the freeways, avoid toll bridges
957). Don't buy Privateer from GOG.

52). Don't use banks. Keep all your money as cash in your mattress.

Are you kidding?! Have you see the EULAs on mattresses? Do not remove tag UNDER PENALTY OF LAW? Gotta stay away from them entirely!

Funny, 2, 3, 5, 42, 104 and 187 apply to me and i didn't even think i was paranoid.
Still thinking about 957.
Oh and i still get enough mails offering penis enlargement and blue pills, so it obviously didn't help.

Nope, they specifically removed this from the game:

rf-gaea.png

Last edited by a moderator:
We're still trying to figure out the meaning of that last phrase.

Oh, dear, am I that old? That is Col. Jack D. Ripper from the movie Dr. Strangelove (Or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb).

I hate boilerplate legal documents. I sincerely desire invalid statements in End User License Agreements to invalidate the EULA itself. That being said, does anyone complaining about data mining play Steam games?

Me neither.

Back