Escape key won't work with WC4 DVD(2 sided)

DaveO

Rear Admiral
I've tried multiple ways to get the game to work including using the instructions and AC3 filter mentioned. If I take out the AC3 filter, the videos work but there is no sound. I'm really wanting to play the game in HD glory on this version, so I'd like to know if there is a specific installation order that needs to be performed.

I've looked thru other threads for posts for Windows XP, but I did not see a complete solution that would work.

What exactly are you trying to use the escape key for? Are you trying to skip the cinematics? The escape key does or doesn't work with AC3filter? Have you tried the spacebar for skipping movies?

The wording of your post makes it extremely unclear whether you have the game running at all or not. Are you saying that AC3 filter somehow breaks the game for you and that it works fine except for sound without it?

If you can't use the escape key to skip cinematics, the video will lock up as soon as you meet the other veteran in the bar. To answer the question, using AC3 filter does not let you use the escape key and it won't let you get past the first cinematic. Without AC3 filter, you can play the game and see the cinematics but there would be no sound.

If you can't use the escape key to skip cinematics, the video will lock up as soon as you meet the other veteran in the bar. To answer the question, using AC3 filter does not let you use the escape key and it won't let you get past the first cinematic. Without AC3 filter, you can play the game and see the cinematics but there would be no sound.

Ok, the the game freezes on the second video? That sounds like the Cyberlink incompatability. Do you have any Cyberlink software installed (PowerDVD, PowerProducer)?

Short of uninstalling powerproducer, do you have mpeg2dec installed into your WC4DVD directory? Try running register.bat (even several times) and see if that fixes it.

Ok, following your idea and then registering the file while the game is running will let you get past the first video. If I want to bypass the next video, I have to run the registration again. Tabbing out and back into the game lets you get to the next video segment. I believe at this point it's down to configuring dxmci, but the link provided just gives an error that the dxmci module can't be found.

I checked the current CD/DVD programs installed, and the current list is NTI CD Maker, Intervideo WinDVD Creator, and DiscWizard for Windows. All three of those programs are expendable since I just recently used Ulead to burn CDs and DVDs.

Ok, following your idea and then registering the file while the game is running will let you get past the first video. If I want to bypass the next video, I have to run the registration again. Tabbing out and back into the game lets you get to the next video segment. I believe at this point it's down to configuring dxmci, but the link provided just gives an error that the dxmci module can't be found.

I checked the current CD/DVD programs installed, and the current list is NTI CD Maker, Intervideo WinDVD Creator, and DiscWizard for Windows. All three of those programs are expendable since I just recently used Ulead to burn CDs and DVDs.

You shouldn't have to keep reregistering unless somehow one of your DVD software programs is overriding and is resident in memory. Theoretically you really should only have to do that once before running the game at all so this is really odd. There might be some obscure directx setting that tells it which dvd programs and filters to prefer...

Thanks AD! You were right about a DVD program still running as a process and being resident in memory. I mentioned earlier that Ulead had been used, and it had two programs still running as a process. As soon as I took both of the programs out of running as processes and ran the registration again, I can skip the videos if I wish and it allows me to make the choices. The next step is to see which of my recording programs will work best for this version. :D

Thanks AD! You were right about a DVD program still running as a process and being resident in memory. I mentioned earlier that Ulead had been used, and it had two programs still running as a process. As soon as I took both of the programs out of running as processes and ran the registration again, I can skip the videos if I wish and it allows me to make the choices. The next step is to see which of my recording programs will work best for this version. :D

It's probably good information to know that this conflict includes other similar software, and it's also good for you to be aware of junk that's hanging out in your memory and slowing things down.

I'm really wanting to play the game in HD glory on this version, so I'd like to know if there is a specific installation order that needs to be performed.

The DVD version of WC4 is actually a big leap to Standard Definition (480p) glory. :)

Back