Spaceman
So what Limitation does the Engine have for:

Texture Resolution?
Polygons?

Maximum Ships in one NAV Point?
In 1 Mission?

Maxium taunts/battle chatter?

Maximum Controllable Wingmen?

In Standoff I use 256x256 textures, and only a few 512x512 ones. If there's a limit, I haven't reached it, nor do I intend to. :p

Poly limit is about 1200-1400 per mesh - both fighters and capships can be made of multiple meshes linked together, though.

The rest I have no idea about.

Would it possible to do a super duper Cockpit then? :D

Well, the engine is old and amde for older system, so i was curious if it's limted, or can be expand now, due faster machines.

i think he means having them wrap all the way around? which, i was actually wondering about that, because that would be great.

btw, ep 2 rocks something serious you guys! holy crap....freaking awesome! the CG work you did Eder is amazing, the mission scripting is awesome, and the voice acting is damned incredible. (which that last goes for ep 1 as well) great job!

I mean just a more detailed Cockpit, with more polys Texture etc. maybe faked screens (aka texture) to enhance the "Sitting in the Fighter" feeling. In WC1-3 you had just a picture and working screens, which you haven't in WCP. In WCP(engine) it's so roomy and not as enclosed as in WC1-3.

And freeview would be cool, but i guess it isn't possible, have to check Tracker IR, maybe there is a patch for Prophecy.

Icefire69 said:
Well, the engine is old and amde for older system, so i was curious if it's limted, or can be expand now, due faster machines.
Newer, faster machines, we find, aren't as much help as you might hope. The game was written for DirectX 6 - so, new graphics cards with all their neato DX9-compatible features offer no performance improvements. And in general, the engine is written for the machines that existed at the time when the game was released. For example, you might now have 512MB of RAM, when back then you had 32MB... but the game isn't designed to take advantage of that.

Maximum Ships in one NAV Point?
The limit used to be around 40, IIRC, but HCl's taken care of that. I don't remember if there still is a limit, but if there is, it's too high to notice. Heck, even the original limit was almost always enough - there are very few situations where you'll want the player to keep track of more than 40 different ships around him.

In 1 Mission?
More than a player can handle :).

Maxium taunts/battle chatter?
More than our voice actors can handle :). Some of the pilots in WCP had more than a hundred lines, most of which were taunts and other battle chatter. Our pilots have much less than that.

Maximum Controllable Wingmen?
I've never tried assigning more than 4-5 wingmen. You can assign at least 9, though. In theory, that number can be increased... but I've never tried, because there's just no need for it.

Back