Easily ID Your Favorite Pilots With These Handy Helmet Codes (June 25, 2024)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Did you ever want a list of the helmet numbers from the Gold Squadron pilots in Wing Commander III? If yes then I have great news for you:

COBRA - A31
FLASH - A13
FLINT - A72
HOBBES - A99
MANIAC - A27
MAVERICK - A62
VAGABOND - A41
VAQUERO - A65

Vera: Do these numbers have a meaning?

LOAF: None that I’m aware of... save perhaps that fairly limited number of repeating integers suggests the art department bought as few sets of number stickers as they could!

--
Original update published on June 25, 2024

I'm gonna say that this was an incredible level of attention to detail for the WC III production folks. We actually have Identifiers like this on our helmets... It's been about 5 years, but I think mine was R23. It was on the receiver for the "bayonet" of our oxygen masks.

They are used for the good folks working in the support shop that maintain our flight equipment. We had magnets on our lockers with the corresponding identifier, and when you landed and returned all of your gear, you'd put your magnet on the "post-flight" board along with your helmet/mask combo.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    560.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I'm gonna say that this was an incredible level of attention to detail for the WC III production folks. We actually have Identifiers like this on our helmets... It's been about 5 years, but I think mine was R23. It was on the receiver for the "bayonet" of our oxygen masks.

They are used for the good folks working in the support shop that maintain our flight equipment. We had magnets on our lockers with the corresponding identifier, and when you landed and returned all of your gear, you'd put your magnet on the "post-flight" board along with your helmet/mask combo.
That’s so cool!

Back