EA Announces Tiberium (December 21, 2007)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Electronic Arts has announced a new game in the Command & Conquer franchise - a first person spinoff called Tiberium. This new tactical shooter is set a decade after the events of Command & Conquer 3. Alien artifacts left behind in the last game lead to an invasion that the player must help repel now. In addition to action elements, the game will involve coordination between infantry teams, high tech vehicles and aerial/orbital elements. Of particular note is the length of the development process so far. Tiberium has been in the works since mid 2005, before even The First Decade was announced. There is no information on whether or not the game will feature a live actor film shoot, but the upcoming expansion to C&C3 will include a cast of celebrities in its FMV. Tiberium is expected to be released in the third quarter of 2008 for the XBox 360, PS3 and PC.

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 18, 2007--Tiberium is a mysterious extraterrestrial crystal that shatters the energy output of traditional fossil fuels. It has the power to save our civilization. It also has the power to destroy it. Over two-and-a-half years in development, Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) today revealed Tiberium(TM), a new intellectual property that brings a rich, original fiction to life through intense tactical action and visceral first-person shooting. Set in a stunning sci-fi world with spectacular visual effects and dramatic environments, Tiberium takes players on an adventure through an environmentally-devastated world and places them in the heart of an epic battle for control this powerful energy source.
Thanks to KSarty for reporting.

--
Original update published on December 21, 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool, but very bizarre. Why would they make another shooter? I liked it, but wasn't Renegade a massive flop?

Because shooters are the major cash regardless of the history of such. At least that's what the bet is.

EDIT: Hmm. C&C still gets FMV? There's a faint hope that if Arena is read as having made enough money that we'll get another "proper" mainline WC game, FMV and all. Oh, I'm not buying any lottery tickets yet- but I'd buy it. Er, assuming they didn't decide to also "push the tech envelope" and require quad SLI. As impressive as that'd be visually...

I thought Renegade was a moderate flop. It was a good game with plenty of mod potential and the C&C MP mode was pretty cool when you could get some people together to play.

But what it sounds like here is the game will be more like Full Spectrum Warrior or Rainbow Six than Renegade.

Well, how bout that. I loved Renegade. That particular screenshot reminds me of Battlefield 2142 though.

I thoroughly enjoyed Renegade - I found it cool to walk through the C&C universe and I liked the weapons.
Should I get a new computer in the not the distant future, I would be interested in this new one.

I should really play Renegade. I have the 1st Decade collection, but never installed Renegade. People usually say very good things about LAN Multiplayer (supposedly, the net code for online MP was all kinds of screwed).

Renegade has a lot of classic C&C moments such as rampaging through a Nod base with a Mammoth tank or killing the chef in a Hand of Nod. I would highly recommend giving it a spin.

Very cool, but very bizarre. Why would they make another shooter? I liked it, but wasn't Renegade a massive flop?

It seems to be more than a basic shooter. The Game Informer article this month made it seem like there was some kind of resource management. I got the impression from the article the player was some kind of commander on the ground and had other responsibilities besides killing things.

I should really play Renegade. I have the 1st Decade collection, but never installed Renegade.
I only got into C&C with the First Decade compilation. I'm not very good at FPS games, so I was a bit reluctant to try Renegade, but it turned out to be quite fun. Quite a few humorous references to earlier C&C games, plus a rather broken Temple of Nod computer voice in the final mission. :)

I played C&C3 the other night and actually really liked it (on the yBox.) I'll probably pick it up in the next few days...

That said, I really can't stand the current C&C continuity. The point of the game was that it was Dune 2 without the Dune license... you could play around with cool modern weapons in a not-so-serious setting. C&C2 turned it into some crazy elaborate distopian future where Tiberium has ruined Earth and everyone goes around fighting in robot suits. Excuse me while I yawn. A lot. Bring back Red Alert, you jerks!

Renegade was an odd game, too... it, again, was incredibly wrapped up in *continuity* when C&C hasn't ever, ever been fun because of that. It's an entirely competant shooter, but it just falls flat for reasons beyond the actual gameplay.

I played C&C3 the other night and actually really liked it (on the yBox.) I'll probably pick it up in the next few days...

It takes a bit of getting used to on the ybox. I had a lot of fun with the campaign and MP, but as Chris mentioned a while back it's not so fun for achievements. You literally have to beat each campaign on each difficultly level to unlock that achievement. Completing it on the hardest setting only unlocks that achievement. Other than that I've enjoyed it a lot.

I'm hoping my ybox shows up soon. It's been 18 days since I shipped it out.

I really did like Red Alert 1 but I thought in Red Alert 2, while fun to play, the graphics were to comical and the Soviets were nerfed. But I did like the MP part with the different nations and their unique units.

Back