Does anyone else find the old ones unplayable...because they can't bare the graphics?

MavS said:
And well, after all I recently re-installed some older games with the help of DOSBox - [...] Master of Orion 2[...]

Erm, why DOSBox for MOO2? The W95 version (the CD shipped with both DOS and W95 versions on it) runs just fine on an XP box without any emulation required, whether a 3rd-party program like DB or the native XP compatability settings.

I still like the earlier WC games a lot, but I must be sincere with one thing... I like the flight engine of the polygonal ones better. I prefer the feel of piloting and gunning in WC3+, I think that the natural roughness of the lower res sprite games make them actually harder... But I still love to play Priv, for instance. I re-started it this year, and persevered until I gots me a Centurion. I mean, if the graphics were so bad, I wouldn't have played so much, no matter how rose tinted were my glasses.

Graphics are damn right important, but good graphics are not just the-latest-uber-3d-engine, there are a lot of things involved in it. Like everything Chris just mentioned.

I have to admit the comments about people screwing an update up are quite valid. Most people who make an update try to put some sort of new stamp on it, which usually just ends up making it crap. LOTR the movie was royally screwed compared to the books, Wing Commander the movie was crap compared to the games, and the new Star Wars movies stab the originals in the back on so many levels....

In truth, I'm not even looking for new cutscenes, new missions, new 'feel' or new stories. I just want the same everything........ except in an engine I find easier to look at and in a platform that easier to run. How about WC2 in the Secret Ops engine, same movies?

GreySaber said:
LOTR the movie was royally screwed compared to the books, Wing Commander the movie was crap compared to the games, and the new Star Wars movies stab the originals in the back on so many levels

Please respect other people's taste by not fanning flames.

Stone48420 said:
Has any movie been better than the book on which it was based?

Chuck Palahniuk said that the movie adaptation of Fight Club was superior to his novel.

Stone48420 said:
Depends upon the person. Someone who like short but sweet things will like the movie. But people who like a short in depth story will like the book more. Of course there are variations in both but this is if the movie and book are of similar levels of quality.

GreySaber said:
In truth, I'm not even looking for new cutscenes, new missions, new 'feel' or new stories. I just want the same everything........ except in an engine I find easier to look at and in a platform that easier to run. How about WC2 in the Secret Ops engine, same movies?
That's silly wishful thinking. Mixing WSO's 3D engine with WC2's bitmap cutscenes will net a horrendous and jarring contrast that will utterly ruin the experience.

You cannot just mix and match wildly disparate parts... the components must mesh together well. Something that looks good within the right context (i.e. WC2 pretty cartoon cutscenes) will look like shit in the wrong one.

Edfilho said:
That's silly wishful thinking. Mixing WSO's 3D engine with WC2's bitmap cutscenes will net a horrendous and jarring contrast that will utterly ruin the experience.

You cannot just mix and match wildly disparate parts... the components must mesh together well. Something that looks good within the right context (i.e. WC2 pretty cartoon cutscenes) will look like shit in the wrong one.

I would if I could. The remake of privateer is using the old animations, and yes, they stand out a tad but you get used to them quickly. Now, I've been contemplating on what's wrong with the remake, and all that really stands out is the flight model feels very different. I understand the crew from Gemini Gold are repainting the interior scenes the same for higher resolutions so they will look better.

Death said:
Erm, why DOSBox for MOO2? The W95 version (the CD shipped with both DOS and W95 versions on it) runs just fine on an XP box without any emulation required, whether a 3rd-party program like DB or the native XP compatability settings.

Maybe to apply a graphical filter? That's about the only reason I can think of.

Stone48420 said:

Schlinder's List was actually better than the book...but only because of the author's style of writing. It was annoying at times and hard to read because the author would frequently go on a tangent...the wrong kind of tangent that provide too much detail about obscure things and not enough about important items.

GreySaber said:
I would if I could. The remake of privateer is using the old animations, and yes, they stand out a tad but you get used to them quickly.

They stand out a lot. Why bother half assing it?

GreySaber said:
Now, I've been contemplating on what's wrong with the remake, and all that really stands out is the flight model feels very different.

Which is *major*.

GreySaber said:
I understand the crew from Gemini Gold are repainting the interior scenes the same for higher resolutions so they will look better.

That's correct, but they're also held up waiting for some source engine junk.

Originally Posted by GreySaber
The remake of privateer is using the old animations, and yes, they stand out a tad but you get used to them quickly.

Yes, but keep in mind... People have different expectations for a release from a major gaming company - even the release of a re-make - than they do from a fan project. I think tacking on old animations to a new engine would stand out a lot more in a game officially released by EA than it would in a game that's being done by a "fan" team with limited resources.

No offense to the good folks who are working on the Privateer remake, but I'd just as soon play the original Privateer on DOSBox, anyway. That's actually the game I remember playing.

I'd love to see some kind of Wing Commander "box set" that includes all of the games (WC I - WCP, plus Privateer I, RF, Privateer 2, Armada, and Academy), but, I'd be happy if they only tweaked them so that they can install/run on Windows XP without any problem.

What would really be cool, if EA ever does a Wing Commander: Collectors Edition , would be if they were to also include a CD with the WC novels on it.

Death said:
Oh, I wouldn't even need "XP-box" or whatever, because I'm still running Win98 :D . And I already used the Win-version of MO2.
My reasons for using DOSBox simply are
1.) I already got it installed for WC Armada, so why not? (except for performance, of course)
2.) and most important - I have DSL, so playing online with a game that wants phone numbers for connecting wouldn't work. When I saw that DOSBox can be used to connect such games (as Armada, for example - well the help articles here [and ChrisReid] were what pointed me to it, big thanks :) ) I wanted to see how MO2 works for me under DOSBox. Oh, and installing the 1.31 update for MO2 mostly solved the performance problems there.

Sorry for causing confusion.

hurleybird said:
Cool. Every play the sequel, Starflight 2

I stumbled across SF2 in the bargain bin at a Target one year while on vacation
bought it immediately (along with a couple gold box AD&D games)
never got very far into it though

I recently started replaying the Genesis version of SF though, on an emulator

hurleybird said:
Cool. Every play the sequel, Starflight 2, or Star Control 2 for that matter?

Also, if you have a powerfull enough rig, you can run the old games with dosbox and add scaling options to smooth out the pixels. That helps a bit.

I haven't played those in years. I wish that they would make more games like these.

Well, some guys from Toys for Bob have started an E-mail petition to activision to get them back the rights for Star Control. They want to make a new Star Control 3, disregarding the original poorley received sequel.

Also, a team already has permission to make Starflight 3, as long as it is non-commercial. Hopefully we will see something come out of that eventually.

Back