Difficulty Levels

Ilanin

Captain
Ok, so I know the Standoff team likes to say "Standoff should be played on Hero", but what do they think about the other difficulty levels. I ask because having already played Ep 1-4 on Hero, I decided I'd have a go at Nightmare for this playthrough. Which has the usual "why is my ship made of wet cardboard?" moments though it is somewhat compensated for by wingmen being useful (well, sometimes).

Is Nightmare harder than Hero? Easier? For that matter, is Ace easier than Hero, given the requirements to keep wingmen alive. Inquiring minds want to know.

The Difficultly level is most important in regards to how "smart" the AI acts. On the higher levels the AI is much better. It will fire more missiles, be more aggressive, etc.

Nightmare just makes it very difficult because all the fighters become a lot more willing to expend missiles and better shots :p

I can imagine some of the Ep5 winning path missions being damn near impossible on nightmare...

It's interesting question in all Prophecy/SO: is Nightmare really the hardest? The wingmen seem to help much more and often missions with huge battles are at least as easy as in any other level.

I've played Standoff through on Nightmare (though failing number of missions); through winning path, but I'm not sure to which ending.
That one mission defending firekka, drakhai attacking right away... took some time, especially as it kept crashing on me. 3rd or 4th last mission, I think.

I would like it if it was possible if the allied ships always used the best possible AI, and the enemy's ship AI just got worse the easier the AI level you were on...

Something else I just wanted to add...

The only time I always play on Nightmare is the Sim. The higher difficultly level gives you additional points per kill and you need every point you can get to beat some of the high scores here :p

It's interesting question in all Prophecy/SO: is Nightmare really the hardest? The wingmen seem to help much more and often missions with huge battles are at least as easy as in any other level.

I've played Standoff through on Nightmare (though failing number of missions); through winning path, but I'm not sure to which ending.
That one mission defending firekka, drakhai attacking right away... took some time, especially as it kept crashing on me. 3rd or 4th last mission, I think.

It's like Dund said... on nightmare your wingmen get smarter... but so do the kats. And you really start fearing sarthas and drakhris and their damned DFs :p

About the crashing, can you be more specific? Which are the mission objectives?

Yeah, first time ever sarthas scare me.

Propably just random crashing happening more than usually; maybe from number of ships and missiles (though that shouldn't be worse than in few biggest battles). Or maybe it's just that I can't bother to quit and restart the game after every death.
Still, for some reason it seemed to crash more often than any other mission (except the losing path jump bug that crashes always until I get a patch).

Back