Difficult Darkening Dialogue Deciphered (February 22, 2011)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
LOAF, Dundradal and the folks in #Wingnut have done an amazing job transcribing all of the hundred or so cutscenes included in Privateer 2. The script they've developed is quite a marvel, but there are a few difficult words and phrases that have not been made out. Of particular usefulness would be some British fans to help decipher some slang and pronunciations. You can check out the current transcript here. See the lines marked with a ??? to help.

Finished transcribing disc two of Privateer 2! ...but we need an English ear to help figure some lines (marked ???). It's high time we fans formed our own Avuncular Order of Hom (Bex's beer-based religion).

--
Original update published on February 22, 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, this is actually one WCPedia project I haven't played a role in. LOAF has been the main man behind the transcribing with the others helping.

I hope to get back to work on the project this week. In the process of gathering info for some good articles...

Hmm, I tried but have to give up, because I don't really know what I'm doing - video software is not really my thing.

So the question is: Is there a simple solution, like a codec pack or a media player, that can play those files off the CDs?

I've stumbled over ffmpeg and tried MPlayer on my Ubuntu machine, which starts playing but then stops due to some cryptic VDPAU error that tells me nothing...

[Full terminal output in attachement]

Attachments

• VDPAU_error.txt
    2 KB · Views: 257
HCl's movie player will play them (and also convert them into AVIs): http://hcl.solsector.net/movie_player.html

Back when the game came out we had a neat trick for playing all the videos, too--you could rename any of then files to match the Origin logo (ORIGIN_S.TGV, I think) and then the new video would play instead of the logo was the game started.

Place your faith in LOAF, and thou shall not be disappointed.. :)

Excellent, listening to weird pronunciation right now.

Yeah, that's right. I've heard a rumor that it has subtitles in a Spanish or Portuguese version, but I haven't found a copy.

(That would actually be a big help, since the big thing we're missing is proper nouns which would be the same in both languages).

Yeah, that's right. I've heard a rumor that it has subtitles in a Spanish or Portuguese version, but I haven't found a copy.

(That would actually be a big help, since the big thing we're missing is proper nouns which would be the same in both languages).

Yeah, there's a few confusing parts left, but I'm fairly certain we got most of them close at least. But there's definitely a few names that I have no idea on. I did the best I could with the name of the explosive in the canister that contained the memmory module from Lev's cryo-pod for example.

I did the best I could with the name of the explosive in the canister that contained the memmory module from Lev's cryo-pod for example.
You mean Duodecaplatylonat? At least that's the name in the german version.
As a shortcut Dimitri says "Duodec" in the german version.

I think so. But I'm not sure. If you read the word "Untertitel" somewhere then you found it^^

Agh! Does the German version have subtitles?
No, but a much clearer pronunciation :p and i think the voices are also much louder against the background noises than in the english version. So it's a lot easier to hear what they say imo.

@Aginor: there are no subtitles in the german version either.

Wait, I've got it-- it's "duodecaplylatomate", a reference to an explosive from Lensman (which is called duodec for short).

We are down to just four missing lines that stand out!

#1) 6_S.TGV: The flashback to a conversation with Dr. Frevel that plays when you first visit Crius (and gives you Dr. Loomis' name).

Lev asks Frevel if they've found out why the Canera crashed and she says one theory is that *something* 'gave out' (it sounds like "anomaly"):

???FREVEL: No, they're still investigating it. So far nothing concrete's turned up. One theory is that the ship's ?anomaly? gave out, but there were rumors about some sort of sabotage or hostile action. Oh it's going to be weeks yet before anything's settled.

37_S.TGV & 39_S.TGV: While Lev is waiting for Dimitri to finish opening the memory solid, you hear part of a news report over the noise in the sinners. We would like to know the name of the ship, which sounds like "Summas Eye". Also, any part before or after the news report that we can't hear.

???HOLOGRAM: ... the ?Sumas Eye II? has turned up surprising new evidence of alien technology similar to that found on Karatikus. The ?Sumas Eye? is now officially being classified presumed lost after transmissions from its location is a previously unsurveyed star system...

40_S.TGV: If you return to Dimitri without the 30,000 credits, he says something that clearly rhymes with Dimitri and means 'money':

???DIMITRI: I've got to give you this, you're a ?trunk?. But no ?lootifree?, no Dimitri. Sorry.

#4) 75_S.TGV: Alberto Fossa asks Lev to bid on the statue for him. After he introduces himself, Lev says he feels like he's fallen into something that sounds like "caprax hall" or "caprats hole" or similar. He's referencing how disorganized the room is.

???ARRIS: I feel like I've fallen into a ?caprax hole?

We are down to just four missing lines that stand out!

#1) 6_S.TGV: The flashback to a conversation with Dr. Frevel that plays when you first visit Crius (and gives you Dr. Loomis' name).

Lev asks Frevel if they've found out why the Canera crashed and she says one theory is that *something* 'gave out' (it sounds like "anomaly"):

???FREVEL: No, they're still investigating it. So far nothing concrete's turned up. One theory is that the ship's ?anomaly? gave out, but there were rumors about some sort of sabotage or hostile action. Oh it's going to be weeks yet before anything's settled.

37_S.TGV & 39_S.TGV: While Lev is waiting for Dimitri to finish opening the memory solid, you hear part of a news report over the noise in the sinners. We would like to know the name of the ship, which sounds like "Summas Eye". Also, any part before or after the news report that we can't hear.

???HOLOGRAM: ... the ?Sumas Eye II? has turned up surprising new evidence of alien technology similar to that found on Karatikus. The ?Sumas Eye? is now officially being classified presumed lost after transmissions from its location is a previously unsurveyed star system...

40_S.TGV: If you return to Dimitri without the 30,000 credits, he says something that clearly rhymes with Dimitri and means 'money':

???DIMITRI: I've got to give you this, you're a ?trunk?. But no ?lootifree?, no Dimitri. Sorry.

#4) 75_S.TGV: Alberto Fossa asks Lev to bid on the statue for him. After he introduces himself, Lev says he feels like he's fallen into something that sounds like "caprax hall" or "caprats hole" or similar. He's referencing how disorganized the room is.

???ARRIS: I feel like I've fallen into a ?caprax hole?

Hmm, I'd agree with all these but suspect the last one is "caprats" - god only knows what that means though!

Hmm, I'd agree with all these but suspect the last one is "caprats" - god only knows what that means though!

Rabbit's?

No, but a much clearer pronunciation :p and i think the voices are also much louder against the background noises than in the english version. So it's a lot easier to hear what they say imo.

Maybe we can get a German transcript typed up alongside the English one!

Rabbit's?

From the context it seems like that makes sense, but if there is something it definitely is not, it's Rabbit. The enunciation definitely emphasizes C at the start.

I really want it to be "Pack Rat's hole" but I can't twist what I'm hearing far enough for that either.

Hmmm, can't find my English version, but here's what my German CDs have to say about it. The translation compared to the texts we already have seems to be pretty accurate.

6_S.TGV:
Dr. Frevel talks about the "Anomaly Shield" failing:
"Leider nicht, die Untersuchung läuft noch. Es gibt keine konkreten Anhaltspunkte. Eine Theorie ist, dass der Anomalieschild versagt hat. Es gibt das Gerücht, dass es sich um Sabotage oder Feindeinwirkung handelte. Es wird noch Wochen dauern, bevor man genaueres weiss."
The translation is very faithful here.

37_S.TGV & 39_S.TGV:
The German translation is a bit unclear in pronunciation, but the ship's name is either "Xena's Eye" or "Xenos Eye". The latter would make more sense, since it's introduced as space exploration vessel - and xenos is greek for strange/hostile.

Original text:
"Das vor kurzem gelandete Weltraumerkundungsschiff Xenos Eye 2 brachte neue Beweise für erstaunliche ausseridische Technologien mit. Sie sind vergleichbar mit den Fundstücken auf Karaktikus. Die Xena's Eye ist mittlerweile offiziell als verschollen erklärt worden. Ihre zuletzt gemeldete Position befand sich in einem bis dato unbekannten Sonnensystem."

My literal translation:
"The recently landed (sic! - inconsistent to the rest, but I can't help it, they say landed) space exploration vessel Xenos Eye 2 brought along new evidence for astounding alien technology. They are comparable to the pieces found on Karatikus. By now, the Xenos Eye has been officially declared as missing in action. Its last reported position was in an until now unknown solar system."

Radio babble after the scene:
"Nachdem die Übertragung der Daten völlig gekappt war, konnte die Bodenstation den Kontakt nicht wiederherstellen. ..." - Rest is extremely garbled.

Translation: "After the data transmission was cut off completely, ground control was unable to reestablish contact." In the remaining garble, only single words like "responsibility", "scientific" and "in the next 2 weeks" are identifiable.

40_S.TGV:
Rather inconclusive, since the pun does not seem to translate:

Original text:
"Eins muss ich ihnen lassen, sie sind hartnäckig. Aber ohne Mäuse gibt es keinen Dimitri. Tut mir leid."

In British English, I would translate that to:
"I've got to give you this, you're a bulldog. But no l.o.l.l.y., no Dimitri. Sorry."
l.o.l.l.y. is a British slang term for money. (The board seems to filter out the original word because it contains L_O_L, sorry for the inconvenience.)

75_S.TGV:
In German, Lev simply says: "Ich fühle mich hier wie in einem Rattenloch" -> "I feel like I'm in a rat hole."

But since Fossa then starts talking about the bexian culture's habit of collecting and keeping everything, my guess is that Lev says " I feel like I've fallen into a pack rat's hole", which would make sense.

Back