Diane Duane Discusses the Darkening (March 29, 2011)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator

AD found an io9 interview from November 2010 that talks at length with Privateer 2 story writer Diane Duane. Ms. Duane is a very accomplished science fiction and fantasy author, and she took a moment to mention her Wing Commander credentials as well. It's a thoughtful article for people who are interested in some perspective on professional writing. Check out the full piece here.

You said you're an early adopter—are you an active gamer?

I don't play so much as build games. About 10 years ago I wrote Privateer 2: The Darkening for Electronic Arts. It was their first foray into interactive entertainment. They were almost trying to do choose-your-own-movie, with game modules to help you determine your path. And that left me with a very clear sense of how to structure a game. The EA people taught me an incredible amount about the structure of building computer games in general and this kind of interactive, flow-dictated game in particular.

And I certainly keep a close eye on what the field is doing. I have lots of friends who do game, and where necessary I pick their brains.

--
Original update published on March 29, 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing against Ms. Duane, but P2 was hardly EA's first foray into interactive entertainment. Even in the Wing universe.

Nothing against Ms. Duane, but P2 was hardly EA's first foray into interactive entertainment. Even in the Wing universe.

No way, man, before Privateer 2 EA was mostly responsible for grinding rocks into sand for man-made beaches. No interactive entertainment to speak of.

I assume she meant with the Manchester people.

It's much more likely that she was just speaking generally about EA and/or has no idea what Wing Commander 3/4 are. And as far as integrating FMV parts, it was some of the same people who did WC3/4, so it wasn't exactly their first foray either.

Back