Deus Ex 3 announced

QuailPilot

Spaceman
I was cruising around and this trailer caught my eye.

I'm downloading the trailer now as I type, and I'm hoping it's going to be as good as the last two.

"Deus Ex fans are insane. I know because I'm one of them. If Deus Ex 3 isn't exactly the same as Deus Ex 1, possibly with slightly prettier graphics and more fluid animation, we will go batshit. I might mail someone my left ear. I'm getting angry just thinking about the notion of a game that isn't Deus Ex to the letter. We're all like this, Deus Ex broke our brain in some fundamental way that renders us unable to appreciate anything else without that dark caveat lurking at the back of our minds: "This isn't Deus Ex." Crysis isn't Deus Ex. Stalker isn't Deus Ex. Bioshock isn't Deus Ex. Deus Ex 2 isn't Deus Ex. When Jesus Christ himself returns to save every one of our souls, there'll be a grouchy huddle of pallid nerds muttering "Eh, he's no Deus Ex."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=176374

HAHAHAHAHA :D So true. Kind of like Wing Commander in that way, only less so because we have more than one game.

Bioshock does somewhat good in that regard. Really easy, though.

Buying BioShock instead of System Shock is like watching football when you could be having really great sex with a good looking woman.

Buying BioShock instead of System Shock is like watching football when you could be having really great sex with a good looking woman.

With this, I now finally understand why there is so much ado about Bioshock.

I'm sure i'm risking having my throat slit by an angry mob of "true" Deus Ex fans... but i really thought 2 was quite entertaining. Sure it wasnt as big or mind boggling as the original, but I didn't find it to be the great fiasco that everyone else thought it to be.

System Shock 1 is really awesome.
System Shock 2 is really awesome.
Deus Ex 1 is really awesome.
Bioshock is really awesome.

DXIW was good, bu not nearly as awesome as DX.

I hope DX3 will be really awesome.
And thank god you can actually buy both Bioshock and systemshock!
I mean, why enjoy one awesome game out of 4, when you can really, actually, in fact enjoy all four of them.

I'm sure i'm risking having my throat slit by an angry mob of "true" Deus Ex fans... but i really thought 2 was quite entertaining. .

OMG you deserve to die. :)

j/k I never got to play it. Eventually I will... and then Im sure I'll be happy with it since its been bashed so much.

And thank god you can actually buy both Bioshock and systemshock! I mean, why enjoy one awesome game out of 4, when you can really, actually, in fact enjoy all four of them.

You need Bioshock in your life like you need the clap.

DX3 isn't due till like 2009, IIRC - so they've got plenty of time to fix what they did wrong in DX IW (namely: short missions and small areas, not so much replayability, general feel that it was 'DX cut down for consoles', making it so there's more ways to do things, better story)...

The only worrisome part of Deus Ex 3, to me, is the Spector-less design team.

As perhaps one of the biggest Deus Ex fans around (top of my list of favorites), I am highly likely to be mailing someone both my ears.

The only worrisome part of Deus Ex 3, to me, is the Spector-less design team.

As perhaps one of the biggest Deus Ex fans around (top of my list of favorites), I am highly likely to be mailing someone both my ears.

System Shock 2 was made by a completely different team than 1, and it ended up being even better.

Although I find it very hard to believe that any game can be better than DX.

System Shock 2 was made by a completely different team than 1, and it ended up being even better.

Consequently, much of that team went on to create Deus Ex 1, and some of them worked on 2. ;) Now there's even less of them involved on 3.

Not saying that it's going to be terrible, it just seems that games are going that way nowadays - at least, compared to their earlier installments.

Games take longer to make now. There's a lot to put into them, and much of it is visuals and sound. Back in the time of Deus Ex 1, you could get more done in less amount of time. The game was so huge because it was greater than the sum of its parts. The graphics / maps / physics didn't soak up a lot of the development. The emphasis was hard on story, and that's what made it so great.

I don't think it's so much the quality of the substance that is lacking, but the length. Games are so much shorter now - and in terms of Deus Ex (Or hell, Mass Effect) - it's a detractor.

Back