Defiance's Eyecandy Thread

And last but certainly not least in our 2655 Confed fighter lineup - the F-44A Rapier II. Fast, nimble, and equipped with God's own shields, it pretty much typifies fighter combat in the WC universe. Is it any wonder we still seem them popping up in the Nephilim war? Though it begs the question, what was the Rapier I?

Rapier1.jpg

Rapier2.jpg Rapier4.jpg Rapier3.jpg

And last but certainly not least in our 2655 Confed fighter lineup - the F-44A Rapier II. Fast, nimble, and equipped with God's own shields, it pretty much typifies fighter combat in the WC universe. Is it any wonder we still seem them popping up in the Nephilim war? Though it begs the question, what was the Rapier I?

View attachment 10239
View attachment 10240 View attachment 10242 View attachment 10241
Maybe that’s the Rapier I: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_XF-108_Rapier

Great-looking model!

You mean something besides the CF-117? https://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/CF-117_Rapier

Hey, I never noticed that the Morningstar is basically the MiG 1.44. Sheesh, looking top-down, the differences between the two are almost non-existent!

Hey, I never noticed that the Morningstar is basically the MiG 1.44. Sheesh, looking top-down, the differences between the two are almost non-existent!
In his take on it, Klavs mixed various real world planes to do the Morningstar. The vertical stabilizers are definitely from MiG 1.44, but other elements are pretty different. One of the features specific to Klavs' model is the "inlets", that come from the Rafale, as do the inner hardpoints shown. The engines are really distant from one another in Morningstar's models, whether from WC2 or from Klavs, which is more akin to a Sukhoi design, either Flanker series or T-50. The leading edges definitely come from F-22, to which canards have been added. The wings are the biggest difference top-down, IMO. The MiG 1.44's are delta while the Morningstar's are swept wings, a bit reminiscent of the F-4's. For the canards themselves, MiG's are, like Gripen's and Rafale's, close-coupled canards placed a bit higher to the main wings' plane while Morningstar's are in the same plane (and do not seem to be mobile either). The engines are very visible from the top, which feels very much like MiG-29's engines, though in Klavs' model with a much more modern take, to include the S-ducts designs used to reduce frontal RCS. Here, the original Morningstar and Klavs' for comparison with the MiG:

Morningstar.png

The Morningstar's design is one of the closest you'll see to a modern real world aircraft design. The only real mistake I would point would be the canards' positioning, which should be slightly above the wings though still in the same position to said wings.

Lolol, I've actually gotten away with using a modified version of the Morningstar in some aerospace publications when we've needed a 'generic' military fighter. Loving the new Rapier, Hornet and Kilrathi ships, very faithful to the original and very cool! Can't wait for the full WC-1 mod with these in place.

The WC1 parade continues. Line-art accurate Bengal for all. You'll notice several differences between the line art and the final Sprite model. The three biggest ones I found are the tapering at the bow is more pronounced, There are only 5 engines instead of 6, and overall the vessel isn't very tall, it's more squat than the final version. But, I kinda dig the 80's ball style turrets and the more detailed stern. I'll texture it when time permits.

LineArtBengal.jpg

LineArtBengal1.jpg LineArtBengal2.jpg

Lolol, I've actually gotten away with using a modified version of the Morningstar in some aerospace publications when we've needed a 'generic' military fighter. Loving the new Rapier, Hornet and Kilrathi ships, very faithful to the original and very cool! Can't wait for the full WC-1 mod with these in place.
Oh wow. Can I dare to ask what publications so I can laugh along? But overall, it’s amazing to see all the models that are being made these days.

In his take on it, Klavs mixed various real world planes to do the Morningstar. The vertical stabilizers are definitely from MiG 1.44, but other elements are pretty different. One of the features specific to Klavs' model is the "inlets", that come from the Rafale, as do the inner hardpoints shown. The engines are really distant from one another in Morningstar's models, whether from WC2 or from Klavs, which is more akin to a Sukhoi design, either Flanker series or T-50. The leading edges definitely come from F-22, to which canards have been added. The wings are the biggest difference top-down, IMO. The MiG 1.44's are delta while the Morningstar's are swept wings, a bit reminiscent of the F-4's. For the canards themselves, MiG's are, like Gripen's and Rafale's, close-coupled canards placed a bit higher to the main wings' plane while Morningstar's are in the same plane (and do not seem to be mobile either). The engines are very visible from the top, which feels very much like MiG-29's engines, though in Klavs' model with a much more modern take, to include the S-ducts designs used to reduce frontal RCS. Here, the original Morningstar and Klavs' for comparison with the MiG:

Morningstar.png

The Morningstar's design is one of the closest you'll see to a modern real world aircraft design. The only real mistake I would point would be the canards' positioning, which should be slightly above the wings though still in the same position to said wings.
The Morning Star is supposed to be armed with three particle cannons. It looks like she received an upgrade. There seems to be 2 different types of cannons. I recognize the two original particle cannons. I wonder what are the other two.

Ah, the Exeter, my favorite destroyer in all of Wing Commander, really in all of Sci-fi destroyers. I probably spent way too long on the hull panels, but I do like how it turned out.

View attachment 10253
View attachment 10248 View attachment 10249 View attachment 10250 View attachment 10251 View attachment 10252
Outstanding work. Congratulations!
That triple turret is an antimatter gun?
Also, what is the purpose of those big cylinders in the starboard and port? I imagined they were the hangars, but the hangar is in the stern between the engines.

Outstanding work. Congratulations!
That triple turret is an antimatter gun?
Also, what is the purpose of those big cylinders in the starboard and port? I imagined they were the hangars, but the hangar is in the stern between the engines.

Thanks!

Per Claw Marks, the turret is a "Triple-Mount Laser Battery" - AMG's weren't added as anti-capship weapons until WC2. I envision it as more of a heavy beam turret ala Yamato (Starblazers if you prefer).

The cylinders are docking ports (at least on my version) for large cargo & personnel transfers. The hangar is too small to accommodate ships like a drayman, or even larger fighters like raptors. So if it's being used as an assault ship, the marine LCs would dock with those and the Exeter would transfer marines to them for example.

Back