Defiance's Eyecandy Thread

"The Avenger...well, she's got about a hundred nicknames and ain't a one flattering. 'The Bus', 'The Pregnant Beast', 'B.U.F.F'; that one stands for Big Ugly Fat...well, you can figure out the rest. She's ugly as sin, but if you want a ship that can take a pounding and bring ya home then she's the bird for you." - Tech Sgt. Ed McElroy BWS Reliant, Excerpted from 'Carrier: A Life in the Union Militia'

Here's the finished Avenger model for the HW mod. Spacecraft number 258 "The Duck of Death", all painted up and ready to go.

Avenger_Final_Beaut.png Avenger_Final_Beaut1.png Avenger_Final_Beaut2.png Avenger_Final_Beaut5.png Avenger_Final_top.png DuckofDeath.png 129thBombSqn-STDFin.png

Last edited:
"Banshee jocks are the craziest S.O.B.'s on this tub. Just look at them! A bunch of wild-eyed speed freaks wanting to go tearing around space at over 500 KPS with underpowered shields and no armor to speak of strapped to as random a suite of guns and missiles as anyone could think of. They give me the willies just looking at 'em..." 2nd Lt. Stacey McGivers, BWS Intrepid, Excerpted from 'Carrier: A Life in the Union Militia'

Rounding out our UBW fighter collection is our favorite light fighter/interceptor, the Banshee. Spacecraft # 5291, "Dead Man's Hand" operating off the BWS Intrepid.

Banshee_Final1_Big.png Banshee_Final2_Big.png Banshee_Final3_Big.png Banshee_Final4_Big.png Banshee_Final5_Big.png

Last edited:
Am I the only one who really loved the Banshee in WC4? It's easily one of my top 3 favorite light fighters.

Am I the only one who really loved the Banshee in WC4? It's easily one of my top 3 favorite light fighters.

One of mine too. particularly because of its larger missile payload; you could easily maneuver in behind a target and fire off an Imrec before the AI could drop a decoy. My only real gripe with it is that the lasers and scatter gun took too long to bring down heavier craft like a Bearcat, and by that time your wingman gets dusted so you end up playing totally defensive (because the game always sent two waves of enemies) and you run out of decoys and die... not by getting shot mind you, but by some quasi suicidal Confed jockey who rams you. :)

Homeworld Mod Team: Hey Defiance, can you whip up a Durango?
Me: Sure thing, no problem.
<Models Durango in 3 days>
<Texutres Durango in 31 days?!?!?!?!>
Me: Ugh....

Finally! Here she is, the finished Durango! The model seemed cursed for a while there, I lost the diffuse texture file twice (both due to sudden and unhappy power losses).

I went ahead and painted her up as the most well known of the class, the Evil I, but I'm also working on a few alternate textures for it: TCS Delphi and the Tango.

She has a fully modeled and textured hangar deck as well. I was going to write up some fun little in-universe blurb, but honestly right now I'm a bit brain fried...hope you like it!

Durango_action.png Durango_fulllight_noshadow.png Durango_Hangar_Emit.png Durango_lowlight_Emit.png Durango_stern.png

Attachments

• Durango_top.png
    Durango_top.png
    191.5 KB · Views: 234
  • Durango_ventral.png
    Durango_ventral.png
    231.6 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Homeworld Mod Team: Hey Defiance, can you whip up a Durango?
Me: Sure thing, no problem.
<Models Durango in 3 days>
<Texutres Durango in 31 days?!?!?!?!>
Me: Ugh....
OK! Now, we need textures for each compartment that might be exposed to the outside in case of torpedo hit. Here's the list... *drops a five cm thick paper pile on Defiance's desk* Don't forget the interior of each bunk rack and the wrench forgotten by Pliers in Engine Room 47B, on the right of the secondary compressor.

Just kidding. :-P Awesome job!

OK! Now, we need textures for each compartment that might be exposed to the outside in case of torpedo hit. Here's the list... *drops a five cm thick paper pile on Defiance's desk* Don't forget the interior of each bunk rack and the wrench forgotten by Pliers in Engine Room 47B, on the right of the secondary compressor.

Just kidding. :-P Awesome job!

<models an airlock; spaces self>
</DefianceIndustries>

Thanks! I'll post a teaser of upcoming stuff in a bit

Here's the Durango in her (original?) Confed livery circa 2665. This version is the TCS Delphi, DD-47 the original incarnation of the BWS Intrepid before she was sold to the UBW and rechristened CVL-06.

Delphi1.png Delphi2.png Delphi3.png Delphi4.png

Here's the Durango in her (original?) Confed livery circa 2665. This version is the TCS Delphi, DD-47 the original incarnation of the BWS Intrepid before she was sold to the UBW and rechristened CVL-06.
Oooh, very nice idea to do a Confed paintjob. Your style is obviously not quite the same as Eder's, but that ship certainly wouldn't look much out of place in Standoff! However, you may want to consider some kind of structural changes. We obviously don't know what the Durangoes looked like originally, and they may well have been exactly the same as the carrier variant. But logically, we wouldn't expect them to be, just as we wouldn't expect Wake-class CVEs to look exactly the same as the hejavy transport from which the design originates.

I'm not really sure what should be different to make a convincing heavy destroyer out of the above. Use your imagination, though. Maybe close off the forward hangar, so that there is only a (significantly smaller) rear hangar? We often see hangars on destroyers and cruisers in WC, but through-deck hangars seem to only show up on carriers. You could then add some forward-facing heavy armaments in the place of the forward hangar. Something that would look like a bunch of AMGs, for instance, to indicate that the "heavy" part of the designation doesn't only mean size and mass, but also heavier armament. And the fact that it would be forward-facing would also explain why the ship was eventually converted into a carrier and those guns removed - after all, by the time of WC3/4, we see heavy weaponry only in turreted form.

Whatever you do, I'm sure the Homeworld mod team will be happy, because units built by conversion from other units are always a neat thing in RTS games :).

I was looking at the original sketches on the other thread and there are two additional turrets in the profile sketch; one an top of the bridge and another on the underside of the main hull. Those could be the anti-ship batteries. Additionally, I could rework the greebles between the intakes on the forward engine pods and make them torpedo tubes. That would beef up her firepower.

During conversion to a carrier, the torpedo bays would be removed to free up space for additional fighters, and the AMGs would be removed to reduce mass and for more space for comms gear and better sensor systems? just a thought.

Oooh, very nice idea to do a Confed paintjob. Your style is obviously not quite the same as Eder's, but that ship certainly wouldn't look much out of place in Standoff

Thanks!

However it seems there's a groundswell of support for a wrench, so that clearly takes precedence over anything else! ;)

@DefianceIndustries Good job on the work defiance, personally the confed colour is a bit too dark for me and could be made somewhat lighter.

@Quarto Largely the homeworld mod is on hiatus since the latest patch broke our mod so we have to wait for better ones to come but expect more beautiful ships as well as many variants of fighterse to come particularly the rapier.

Back