Curious about the Intrepid

TheFraix

Vice Admiral
Honest question...

who's idea was it to destroy the BWS Intrepid in this fan-made mod?

Isn't that a bit... controversial?

Eh, if it's just a fan-made mod, then why should it matter? Besides, I have a hunch that, should another official WC game be made, the high-quality fan mods such as UE will be considered canon and adhered to. Who knows, maybe some of our illustrious programers will be asked to work on the next official WC game, should there be one.

I dunno about that, Overmortal. It seems rather unlikely to me that they would even look at our work. While this may or may not change by the time a new WC game is made, currently EA as a whole doesn't seem overly interested in fan-produced stuff.

But as for the Intrepid, why would it be [any more] controversial [than all the other changes we make]? You can't have a fan project without making some sort of changes related to the canon. All you can do is try to make sure that they don't contradict current canon (which the Intrepid's death does not) and hope that a future official product doesn't contradict your changes.

I dunno about that, Overmortal. It seems rather unlikely to me that they would even look at our work. While this may or may not change by the time a new WC game is made, currently EA as a whole doesn't seem overly interested in fan-produced stuff.

Being ignored is quite a compliment - various Ultima 'remakes' have shown that EA is more than willing to close down projects that they feel threaten the viability of their brands. A fan project for an EA game will never get recognition from the company - but that's solely for legal reasons... so don't feel bad.

(That said, for the same legal reasons, it won't be recognized in future fiction. There's a good story about how the Aces Club was almost made an official WC fanclub...)

Don't forget the old story about Herr Borty's "official" Wing Commander Club too! :D

I just told you it was a *legal* issue. If EA formally recognized a fan project that was in voluation of the Prophecy EULA, there could be legal reprecussions.

Bandit LOAF said:
Being ignored is quite a compliment - various Ultima 'remakes' have shown that EA is more than willing to close down projects that they feel threaten the viability of their brands. A fan project for an EA game will never get recognition from the company - but that's solely for legal reasons... so don't feel bad.
That's definitely true as well... and at the end of the day, I'm not sure if recognition from EA (even if it wasn't impossible) would be as useful as we sometimes think it would be. After all, such recognition would not be unconditional.

I've never played any of these mods. I don't even know how. I think I tried it once and then wondered what happened to my basic computer skill. Point fleeting...

I don't see any problem with the Intrepid destroyed:

2654 - Blair stationed on board TCS Tiger's Claw
2656 - TCS Tiger's Claw destroyed
2664 - Blair stationed on board TCS Concordia
2668 - TCS Concordia destroyed
2669 - Blair stationed on board TCS Victory
2670-74 (somewhere there) - TCS Victoy decommitioned as an orbital museaum - practically destroyed.
2674 - Blair stationed on board BWS Intrepid

Anybody NOT seeing the pattern?

2681 - BWS Intrepid destroyed
2654 - Blair stationed on board TCS Midway

any the only logical continuation:
2690 - TCS Midway destroyed

these are the only logical assumptions... :D
(Good thing he is no more... ;) )

HammerHead said:
2654 - Blair stationed on board TCS Midway
Wow, I never realised the TCS Midway could travel through time!

About the pattern - while "anything Blair gets stationed on is destroyed" is a popular theory, it's really quite baseless. During his career, Blair was stationed on seven ships (and a space station). Of these, only two are known to have been destroyed - so it's really not much of a pattern :p.

Quarto said:
Wow, I never realised the TCS Midway could travel through time!

About the pattern - while "anything Blair gets stationed on is destroyed" is a popular theory, it's really quite baseless. During his career, Blair was stationed on seven ships (and a space station). Of these, only two are known to have been destroyed - so it's really not much of a pattern :p.

It's quite baseless?? You forgot Blair blew up one of the carriers he served on (Lexington). :D

Is this the complete list of ships he was stationed on?

Tiger's Claw
Concordia
Bonnie Heather
Victory
Lexington
Intrepid
Midway

Caenaervon

The official line is that he only disabled the Lexington.

The Intrepid was destroyed in a mod, so it´s not official.

Bandit LOAF said:
various Ultima 'remakes' have shown that EA is more than willing to close down projects that they feel threaten the viability of their brands.

Yeah, but EA tend to kill all the good games they make after a few years anyway.

HammerHead said:
these are the only logical assumptions... :D
(Good thing he is no more... ;) )
Wow, a few carriers being destroyed in a war just like dozens and dozens of others, who would have thought? :rolleyes: I mean its not like (by that defiinition of being 'destroyed') only half a dozen carriers produced during and just before the Kilrathi War actually survived to the wars end :(.

C-ya

Back