Consider Copious Console Choices (July 5, 2010)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
The new poll asks what Wing Commander game for console and handheld gaming systems is your favorite. And there's some great options to choose from! Quite a few Wingnuts got their start on the Super Nintendo versions of Wing Commander and The Secret Missions in the early '90s. These were also recently rereleased for the Sony PSP in EA Replay. Since Wing Commander 2 for the SNES was never released, that one's not an option above. However the Genesis/Sega CD version of WC1 with full speech is there. The Playstation iterations of Wing Commanders 3 & 4 were also very popular, and WC4 is available once again via the PSN store. The 3DO got some of the most fancy ports of the franchise by way of an enhanced WC3 and Super Wing Commander. That leaves one of the most technically surprising games in Prophecy for the Gameboy Advance, and the most recent is the multiplayer powerhouse Wing Commander Arena. I wonder what will be next... but that's for another poll.

The old poll picked Wingnuts' favorite cockpits. The realistic dashboards of Wing Commander 3 won, but there's a pretty even popularity between Privateer, WC1 and WC2 behind it. WC4's spartan HUD also had a fairly strong showing.

Which game has your favorite cockpits?

Armada
2.66%
orangeblock.gif

Privateer
13.32%
orangeblock.gif

Privateer 2
3.90%
orangeblock.gif

Prophecy/Secret Ops
7.14%
orangeblock.gif

Wing Commander 1
15.13%
orangeblock.gif

Wing Commander 2
14.18%
orangeblock.gif

Wing Commander 3
32.45%
orangeblock.gif

Wing Commander 4
9.71%
orangeblock.gif

Armada/WC3 Virtual HUD
1.52%
orangeblock.gif

Ended on July 5, 2010 | 1051 votes

--
Original update published on July 5, 2010

Last edited by a moderator:
Super Nintendo!

SNES Wing Commander got me hooked and the very dramatic intro for Secret missions solidified my hatred for the Kilrathi.

It's been a while since I've played any of them, but the 3DO is notable for its playability. Call it "arcade" but to have quality full-motion video AND instantaneous loading to the action makes this a lot better than the Playstation versions to me.

The SNES and Sega CD editions were a bit too flat and framey to be playable today. And don't get me started on Super Wing Commander.

I would really, really like a colorful, cartoony version of the original Wing Commander games with modern 3D graphics. The iPhone family of devices would probably be the best home for something like this.

If anyone makes an easy to use mission editor for prophecy/standoff - i'm game for making a wc1 and 2 TC

Yeah, every poll assumes you have experienced the material in question. What if it's asking about your favorite fighter from WC3 and you didn't play the game? We wouldn't put a "didn't play" option in there. Just don't vote (and then catch up on your Wing Commandering - a goal for all of us here in 2010 should be to find new Wing Commander experiences that we missed).

Back