Conquest Of Origin article in 'the Escapist'

You don't see too many articles go into details of Privateer Online, Wing Commander Online, Harry Potter Online and how they relate to Ultima Online 2, Earth & Beyond, Star Wars Galaxies and so forth. I thought we were the only people in the world who cared about that kind of stuff. Probably actually a good chance the author visits the CIC or at least ran across some articles and updates by me and LOAF. A few bits are things we specifically covered not long ago like the NYT quote https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/6518 Couple things are incorrect here and there. Chris Roberts didn't see Freelancer through to completion. He left half way through development and founded PNR in 2001.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, an inaccurate, poorly written, playing-to-idiots article met the most mindlessly pseudointellectual interface in the universe... and they're happy together!

Bandit LOAF said:
Hey, an inaccurate, poorly written, playing-to-idiots article met the most mindlessly pseudointellectual interface in the universe... and they're happy together!

in fairness there's nothing wrong with something being aesthetically pleasing as long as its still easily legible, and the layout of that site is both in my opinion, it looks more like a magazine, which is fine by me. I believe the layout is that way as it is available in PDF format aswell.

in fairness there's nothing wrong with something being aesthetically pleasing as long as its still easily legible, and the layout of that site is both in my opinion, it looks more like a magazine, which is fine by me. I believe the layout is that way as it is available in PDF format aswell.

Except that the first column gets shoved half into nowhere at 800x600 or if you need to have a larger/bolder font than whatever some jerk decided looked like a professional magazine. People pretending their websites are print layouts should get over themselves.

... and it's all for the sake of leaving space for some truly atrocious graphics. Aww, a sad dying flower when Origin gets sold. And a lighted noose, against a black background! Shocking! The freshman photography student they hired for this should probably be steered into considering a career in never touching a camera again.

baphomet_irl said:

No, the layout's pretty horrible. Like LOAF said, it's 100% broken in my screen resolution so that they can stick some silly pictures in there. It's neither aesthetically pleasing nor legible here. All their articles are like that.

How much would it cost to buy the Origin trademark from EA? How many WC-Ultima-Crusader-etc. fans are there on Earth?

Well, the easy answer is that it (and the various intellectual properties) are not for sale.

If you want to recreate the 90s, though, Origin's old building listed for $17M last year. Start saving for that... (G)

It is involved in the production of movies TV shows. If you check the site, you can look at some of their previous projects.

Point of No Return takes the interactive entertainment industry into the next century. Utilizing their extension resources such as state of the art digital and broadband technology, full-service multi-media capabilities, strategic alliances, and their talented team of creative thinkers, PNR initiates a new wave in digital entertainment philosophy.

actually you're right - i just looked at it @ 1024x768 and at that it still has some vertical scroll. I also never noticed the stock photography and they are a bit simplistically symbolic i suppose - on another note theres a Trip Hawkins interview in GamesTM about the 3DO magazine and he doesnt make one mention of SWC :(

Hehehe, I don't think PNR actually does anything; it's the name for the 'multimedia' aspect of Mr. Roberts' Ascendant Pictures movie operation... but for the time being he's focusing on developing movies rather than interactive stuff.

Yes, if the game business consists of Lunix junkie style whining about how evil succesful companies are.

well they do have a point about the sequels, and as Im not into sports games anyway, im not really their biggest fan nowadays... (although I do play Battlefield 1942 a lot)

No, they don't have a point about the sequels at all. It's a huge example of that special mix of poorly contrived hypocrisy and absolute stupidity that can really only find an audience on the internet.

Oh, no, EA isn't going to make Ultima 10 and Wing Commander 7! I know, I'll blast them for how they like to make sequels to things.

I mean, the whole Lunix Junkie argument that EA is evil because they make sequels to popular games is idiocy... repeating it in your article about how sad you are that they arem't making sequels to your favorite games is beyond even that.

Back